• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

SFX ideas?

Okay, so the effect I want should be relatively simple, but at the moment, I can't think of how to get it done.

I want a character (many, actually) to be ghost-like. Semi-transparent is easy enough. But that's too simple. I was thinking it would look way more cool if they had a shadow trailing them. Except, it's not an actual shadow, but as if wind was keeping a bit of them behind, almost like the trail on a comet -- little chunks blowing in the wind, every time he/she moves. Hmm, on second thought, this could require some serious CGI.

So, maybe that's not the exact aesthetic. I just need them to be ghostly, but not overly cheesy. They exist in another plane, walking amongst all of us, but invisible to us.

Any ideas?

While it's always easier to composite static effects shots, with a little bit of planning you can incorporate simple camera movements with relatively little extra work. The key thing here is to note the distinction between the need for 2D and 3D motion tracking - the former can be done in After Effects without any plugins, whereas the latter requires much more complicated and expensive software as well as a more complex approach to capturing both the plates and the shots you wish to composite.

If you're happy to restrict yourself to "2D" camera movement - pans and tilts on a tripod, handheld pans, tilts and camera shake - and not use "3D" camera movement - tracking shots, crane moves (anything where the position of the camera changes, not just where its looking) - you can make your shots look a lot more convincing, hopefully with fairly few headaches in post-production.

Let's walk through an example shot… here, a man walks into a room, sits down on a sofa and then sees a ghost that has been standing there the whole time. We want to pan with the man as he walks through the door, creating a nice instance of dramatic irony as the audience sees the ghost before the man does.

To do this, we first work out our blocking - the tripod cannot move once we've started shooting, and to make post-production easier we've added some marks for the characters to stand and sit on, as well as a few tracking markers on the wall just in case. First of all, we shoot the man walking in, sitting down and his reaction in a panning shot. You know whereabouts the camera needs to stop each time, as there's a mark down for the ghost.

Next, we bring in a green screen, stick it over the ghosts mark and get the ghost to stand in the right position, with the camera in its end position. wheatgrinder's retroreflective chroma keying setup would be perfect for this kind of work, as it wouldn't interfere with the existing lighting in the room. At this stage, you can shoot as many elements as you need to composite into the final shot. Once we've shot the ghost, we can jump into After Effects.

First off, we'll drop the panning shot into the timeline. Using After Effects' built-in tracking tools (and if necessary, the markers we stuck to the walls) we'll track the shot. [AE specific tip - assign the tracking data to a Null object if you're planning to composite more than one layer.] Then we'll drop in the ghost layer, crop it round the green screen and roughly line it up once the pan has finished.

Once you've keyed the ghost layer you can line it up more precisely, and your shot will almost be finished. Any particle effects etc applied to the ghost will stay in place as the camera pans, so you can integrate the character into the scene more effectively. Anyway, I'll let you digest all my ramblings…

Fix

Taking a baseline shot is the answer, and you don't really even need a greenscreen, unless you want to go a little further with your "ghost" effects.

For moving the camera, an extremely expensive computerized servo+track system is typically used to replicate the exact same camera move multiple times. When you look a large blockbusters, they are using this tech on every other shot.

chiliepies cam movement and tracking can be difficult becuase of parallax movement.

Why you ask?
Try this, fine a couple of vertical objects to look at, one behind the other. Line your eye up so you only see the one in front.. now close one eye, keeping the other looking straight out from your face, and turn your head to pan. youll see the object behind come into view. That is parallax motion. This seems normal, but its a trick your eye is playing due to the "off set" nature of where your eye is in relation to the pivot point (your neck).

Try the same experiment, but this time don't just turn your head to pan, rather rotate your head around your eye ball, as if the eye ball is on a tripod and your rotating around it. You look silly, but the parallax movement should be reduced \ gone.

This is a "nodal pan" and you simply need to find where the node point in your camera is and you can eliminate this effect, and thus a 2D track point will work for composting with a camera movement.

FWIW, Never done this... but I sound like I know what Im talking about!

Back