Set me straight!

There's always that awkward moment when reality strikes and the aspirations you have in life are seriously questioned. I definitely haven't hit that point at its worst yet, but I'm sure it's coming :grumpy: I feel like considering film as a career would prompt this question more than other paths. So, before I set myself on this path, I’d like to know if it might lead anywhere good, and if so, how I should get there!

It would help if I had some input on how to make this happen. If I have absolutely no chance in film, let me know, but otherwise, tell me how to make it work!

- I'm 16 and a junior in high school.
- My GPA is cerca 4.35
- There is another kid at my school who also wants to film, and we are collaborating.
- I have a strong background in photography.
- Budget is somewhat limited, definitely no more than $500/project between the two of us.
- Ideally, a scholarship at USC or another prestigious film school is the goal.
- I live in Phoenix, AZ.
- Connections wise, I loosely know a man who makes local commercials and my aunt went to USC (not in the film program).
- I'm on the debate team, which takes up a substantial amount of my time (free weekends are a little scarce).
- My school offers video production, advanced video production, and intro to cinematography as courses. Also, the instructor went to USC as well. (I have taken / will take all of these courses)
- I plan on becoming either a producer or director

What should I use or how should I orient myself to have the best shot at becoming successful in the film industry? We'll assume I have the passion to do these things. Any tips or tricks, quick notes, key things to accomplish before applying to a film school? It doesn't have to be based on the above details. I'd understand if/when this comes off as another hopeful kid, but I can honestly say I think I have a fighting chance.

This is a huge question, and any input from the experienced folk or in-the-process-folk is largely appreciated.

- Sam

There's always that awkward moment when reality strikes and the aspirations you have in life are seriously questioned.

I posted something very similar just a few days back. I'm already past that point and figuring out what to do with myself now that I've decided that (for me it was music) music isn't going to be what I do with my life. I'm twenty-eight now, and I was sixteen when I started..

looking back - here are some things I feel would have helped immensely:

Surround yourself with people who are passionate about making films. People that will support you. People that will inspire you with there-own enthusiasm. Not just film fans - but other people who are making films.

Don't stop working. Ever. Finish and do well in high-school, but when you not eating or in school/doing homework - compose shots. read everything you can. ask questions. experiment. Study film. compose more shots. Sleep with one eye closed and a view-finder stuck in the other. Finish one short film and start the next.

Be audacious. Anything film related - say yes. Try for things you aren't good enough for.
You're in relatively big city so you have opportunity. FIND IT.

Make a short film every week for the next two years.
Don't stop working ever.

Filmmaking is really hard. Not just skill-wise, but career-wise.

It's easier in many ways to be a doctor, because there's a specific career path set out for would-be doctors. You just need to come up with enough dough for med school. Even my good doctor friend told me that any idiot with money can become a doctor. (Not reassuring if you're a patient, I know.)

But filmmaking has as many paths as there are filmmakers. You can go to film school or not, move to LA or not, make commercials first or not. It's up to you.

So if you want to make movies, make absolutely sure that this, and nothing else, is what you want to do. Because it's often a long, hard, twisty road. Sometimes it's not, but you gotta be prepared to work your ass off and learn a lot.

Learn to ignore rejection, and learn to give and take honest criticism. To add on to what Aaron said, surround yourself with people who are not only passionate, but also whose opinion you totally trust, and who will tell you what they really think. You need to develop really sharp critical facilities it order to learn and grow and get good.

Don't do anything expediently or half-assed; be a perfectionist, but not at the expense of being efficient or meeting deadlines.

And love it. Always love it. 'Cause if you don't, don't do it.

There's always that awkward moment when reality strikes and the aspirations you have in life are seriously questioned. I definitely haven't hit that point at its worst yet, but I'm sure it's coming :grumpy: I feel like considering film as a career would prompt this question more than other paths. So, before I set myself on this path, I’d like to know if it might lead anywhere good, and if so, how I should get there!

It would help if I had some input on how to make this happen. If I have absolutely no chance in film, let me know, but otherwise, tell me how to make it work!

- I'm 16 and a junior in high school.
- My GPA is cerca 4.35
- There is another kid at my school who also wants to film, and we are collaborating.
- I have a strong background in photography.
- Budget is somewhat limited, definitely no more than $500/project between the two of us.
- Ideally, a scholarship at USC or another prestigious film school is the goal.
- I live in Phoenix, AZ.
- Connections wise, I loosely know a man who makes local commercials and my aunt went to USC (not in the film program).
- I'm on the debate team, which takes up a substantial amount of my time (free weekends are a little scarce).
- My school offers video production, advanced video production, and intro to cinematography as courses. Also, the instructor went to USC as well. (I have taken / will take all of these courses)
- I plan on becoming either a producer or director

What should I use or how should I orient myself to have the best shot at becoming successful in the film industry? We'll assume I have the passion to do these things. Any tips or tricks, quick notes, key things to accomplish before applying to a film school? It doesn't have to be based on the above details. I'd understand if/when this comes off as another hopeful kid, but I can honestly say I think I have a fighting chance.

This is a huge question, and any input from the experienced folk or in-the-process-folk is largely appreciated.

- Sam

The most important thing is getting involved. If there are indie production (or the guy who makes commercials is amenable), get involved. Hold the boom mike. Do some shooting. Do some writing. Do some storyboarding. Learn photography--lighting, set-up. Study audio. Study acting and improv. Produce your own video and scripted shorts.

It's not that you're going to be a master of all of these, but my experience is that the best directors, actors, and screenwriters have diversified experience in the industry. When you go to college, be involved. Look for ways to gain experience. And if you're going to go big, plan on working as a peon in Hollywood for a studio for a few years. Filmmaking is definitely a networking industry. Who you know is what will help you advance. And the more you have in your portfolio to share, the more likely you are to advance.

I've seen some clips created by 14 and 15 year olds that are wicked impressive. Growing up, my access was my dad's super-8 film camera. Today, you have After Effects and digital cameras that allow multiple shoots with zoom/speed and awesome video effects that only large studios could manage. Toss in all the audio and 3D applications, and you can be pumping out mind-bending shorts that dance circles around the clips that were produced in the early 70s. And a lot of the software can be obtained for free.

No one can guarantee you'll succeed. It's a mix of talent, perseverance, contacts, and--let's face it--luck. But fortune favors the prepared and dedicated. My suggestion is when you go to college, also pick up lots of business classes. What seems to be lacking are film folk who understand business strategizing and marketing. A business degree in conjunction with a film studies degree will be serviceable. There are lots of IT/computer folk into filmmaking. The videogame/3D industry is small but strong.

Find what you would enjoy doing in addition to films and develop that. For at least the first few years, films are typically not how you support yourself. If you manage to get on, all the better. If you can, get intern positions or even a part-time job locally at a news studio. Sometimes if you write them, they'll find an unpaid spot for you. Any experience will win you karma points with the 'film gods' down the road.

So, have a plan A and B. Be involved and learn all you can. And watch and read as much as you can about the industry. Be cautiously optimistic and actively create your own opportunities! Great directors always keep both feet on the ground while looking for the next great story to share. Hang out with indies and be active; they are great mentors. And when you make it, be sure to give back to those trying to break in! (more 'karma points' :) )

What should I use or how should I orient myself to have the best shot at becoming successful in the film industry?

You should produce and/or direct movies and music videos.

You’re 16, you have no body of work so you have no connections.
Imagine if you made one short film or music video every month
until you turned 18. Would that help you build connections and
experience, or would it slow you down?

You can easily find reasons you CAN’T make one a month - can you
find reasons you CAN?

1) Skip film school and . . .
2) Buy a camera, a book on filmmaking every month then . . .
3) Start making your own indie movies with the money you have on hand now, not with the money you hope to raise then . . .
4) Go to law school while you're making your indie films and specialize in entertainment law so
5) You can make money in the film business while your own movies barely break even.

Back