Sennheiser Me66/K6 Review

This was going to be a PM to Alcove but I decided to share it all with you.

So I got the Tascam Dr-40 and Sennheiser Me66/K6 in about 4 days ago and I have been running them through a bunch of tests to see the quality of sound I am getting. And I must say, I am very impressed with this combo. For such a low price recorder, the tascam has done a great job and has very minimal hiss. The Me66/K6 is excellent. Super light weight and really sensitive. I have done a bunch of interviews for a documentary I am working on for school already and they sound perfect even in a slightly noisy area. There is a slight bit of hiss that comes in the audio like normal but with Premiere pro and a slight low cut filter and a boost of the channel volume, you really cant hear it.

Basically, I just wanted to say that for about $650, you can really get some professional sounding stuff with this. I am truly impressed. I am working on a video review soon but maybe in a little I'll post some samples of the audio. Thanks!

It sounds fine right now when you are in control in "controlled" situations. The issue will become what will it sound like when you hand the DR-40 and ME-66 off to someone else while you are concentrating on directing?

Alcove, you can be a real buzz kill sometimes.. and I mean that in the best possible way :)

Well, that's my job, isn't it?

buzzkill.jpg

Ha no I agree though Alcove. Yes, I feel the real test of the mic will be when I hand it over to someone else and let them work with it in a non-interview type situation. I am shooting a short film soon and so I will get back on the performance of that soon! But yeah buzkill.... But I'm used to it now.

The mic was about a foot away from my mouth and aimed pretty much straight down from above. I agree this one was a little thin but I really think that its because I don't have the deepest voice so you don't get that rich roomy feel. I have a better one that I will post soon of a guy who has a much deeper voice and it was in an even more controlled room.

This one was basically on the top floor of a library where people were scrambling about below and pretty much everything was reflective. I'll post the other one shortly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyqPM5dLjZg&feature=youtu.be

Here is yet another test of the Me66/K6 with the Tascam Dr-40.

If you would like to see some pics of the set-up I used in this interview just go to my blog at http://brobesfx.com
The pic on there is not of the same person, but the interview set-up was the same for all. Thanks!

Sounds okay. You can hear the room - a hard wall is behind you and the hard surface workspace and the cabinets on the right (your left). As a part of your experimentation you may want to try some sound blankets, carpeting or other sound absorbing material on the floor. That's one of the toughest jobs, controlling the ambient bounce of the sound waves.

You may also want to experiment with the mic position - point the mic at your collar bone where your neck meets your chest. It should be above and pointed down but also try it a little to the left or right instead of directly in front of you. The idea is to get your body between the mic and the reflective surfaces. You may also want to try it from below; spaces like that often have ceiling tiles that absorb the bounce a bit. Granted you may not have that option when your shooting narrative work, but you will learn how mic positioning affects the voice quality and how much room is captured.

Last edited:
There is a slight bit of hiss that comes in the audio like normal but with Premiere pro and a slight low cut filter and a boost of the channel volume, you really cant hear it.

No offence meant, but that kind of statement shows anyone who is serious about audio that your knowledge of these things is limited.
Low cut filters DO NOT remove hiss. Hiss is high frequency white noise well above the range of a low cut filter. Low cut filters remove rumble and handling noise and excessive low frequencies.
Perhaps that's not what you meant.......but it's the way it appears to read.

Back