Sennheiser Me66/K6 Review

This was going to be a PM to Alcove but I decided to share it all with you.

So I got the Tascam Dr-40 and Sennheiser Me66/K6 in about 4 days ago and I have been running them through a bunch of tests to see the quality of sound I am getting. And I must say, I am very impressed with this combo. For such a low price recorder, the tascam has done a great job and has very minimal hiss. The Me66/K6 is excellent. Super light weight and really sensitive. I have done a bunch of interviews for a documentary I am working on for school already and they sound perfect even in a slightly noisy area. There is a slight bit of hiss that comes in the audio like normal but with Premiere pro and a slight low cut filter and a boost of the channel volume, you really cant hear it.

Basically, I just wanted to say that for about $650, you can really get some professional sounding stuff with this. I am truly impressed. I am working on a video review soon but maybe in a little I'll post some samples of the audio. Thanks!

It's actually a much maligned shotgun. Sound guys often say how badly they suck and that they're overpriced. But it's the only shotgun I own however and I've had it a long time and used it and rented it out a lot. It's good for DSLR's cuz it's self powered.
For a windscreen I've always scraped by with the "Mike Muff". They're cheap and work. Budget solutioin.
Is it possible for a mic to be forgiving? My Oktava is far more temperamental, always gets extraneous sounds even though I have a really good shock mount for it.

The Oktava, though a good mic for the price, is another item that is really aimed at musicians, so has not been designed for production sound use.

The ME-66 is an "old" design that was the "budget" mic in the days of the venerable Nagra reel-to-reel recorder, so it's frequency response is biased towards that analog sound. In the digital age it is indeed a bit "thin" when compared to current mics. I do not, however, disparage it as much as some of my more learned and experienced colleagues, who can be just as opinionated as anyone else towards what the own and use.

yes... Excuse me I mean low pass. Calm down.

No problem. An easy error to make if you are typing. Actually, The terminology can be a bit confusing for people that aren't familiar with it. Low pass and low cut are almost the exact opposites.....strange as it may seem. Well not quite opposites, because low cut means it cuts everything below a certain point, whereas high pass and low pass filters are more a roll-off of frequencies than a hard cut.

Yeah haha great idea, and we will give them a 20-25 word instructional on how to set ratio, threshold, attack and release while we are at it I think too :)

I drown in the vast ocean of audio tech. Too bad, because I actaully have really good ears. No one needs to link me to a tutorial, I've tried. Sat next to sound engineers for hours and had them diagram the basics. it doesn't take.

I drown in the vast ocean of audio tech. Too bad, because I actaully have really good ears. No one needs to link me to a tutorial, I've tried. Sat next to sound engineers for hours and had them diagram the basics. it doesn't take.

Oh well. But then we all have different skills. I spent years learning audio skills, terminology and practical usage.........but you could probably baffle me pretty quickly with video camera technique talk because that's not my area of expertise. Most of us can't be experts at everything!

When talking EQ we could get into shelving, sweeping, "Q", bell, hi-pass, hard-knee etc.

But then some people might think we are talking about where you stack your books, brushing away the rubbish from under your desk, expecting a bell to go at the end of a school day, taking the odd high pass and getting a hard knee or two playing football, and then waiting in a queque at the bus station .:lol:

Back