Sending out notices before a casting call.

I was going to set up my casting call advertisements for my first real short film, since I finally got a crew to work for very low pay. I read that I should send out a notice a month before I send out the actual casting call adds? Is this important? My crew has a window of opportunity to work on certain weeks and locations for shooting, and if I send out a notice now, and wait an extra month to set up the casting call, that window will be lost. If sending out the notice is a must than I will, or can I just skip right to posting the casting call adds?

While more time is better, it isn't always necessary. If you have to shoot in 3 weeks then you have to have it cast in 2.

Some tips...

Be very specific about pay/no pay/food on set/paying transportation costs etc. It's ok of it doesn't pay, but not ok to try and hide it.

Pick a shooting date (days) and stick to them and post them. Pro actors have other gigs and stuff going on like everyone else. If they can't make those days, they won't waste time.

On a small budget production, be flexible. If you picture a 30 year old white guy as the lead but you get a great actor who's 25 and Latino but not so great actors that look the part, it's worth the switch. Post age ranges and very basic necessities for your characters: "Lisa - 22-27 years old, kind hearted, attractive" or whatever.

Ask them to email headaches and resumes. Pick the ones you like for the casting session. Again, don't be picky if you only get a few responses. Depending o. Location and pay you may get 15, you may get 1000's.

Book three actors per 10 minute casing window. Actors are flaky, some won't show. If they have to wait 10 minutes it's not a big deal, better tha. You having booked an audition room for 6 hours and spending 3 waiting on the next guy to show up.

Good luck! And by the way, the "ad" you post is the casting "call", it advertises the audition time where people come to you to audition called the "casting session". Most won't care, but some pro's take not knowing the terminology as a bad sign haha.

Oh that clears up the confusion lol. Thanks, I'll make the adds once I secure a venue. This is my third attempt and I hope the DP or the soundman don't decide to back out, like the last ones did on the previous attempts. I won't let it stop me this time though, I gotta get a short done sometime, and if there's anything I've learned it in this practice so far, it's you really got to let the ends justify the means sometimes.

You might want to shoot a video of their rehearsal. Some people will appear a lot better or worse on video than they do in person. You might want them to prepare something in advance.

If you wait till the venue is secured you may find yourself in a situation with too little time to get the cast.
You say you know which dates you can/must shoot.

Start casting now and be clear about everything. Also about the uncertain venue. This will give you some more time to get reactions from interested people. The shorter the notice, the smaller your chances may get.
Once the venue is secured you can place a new add with more definite info and inform the people who already reacted.

This way you risk having to cancel the cast and crew if the venue isn't secured.
The other way around you risk having to cancel the venue and the crew because there is no cast.

How much time does it take to get the venue?
Call them next monday.
If you get a 'no': find a new one.

In the meantime you can look for people who are interested by posting a casting call.
Use a parallel way of thinking instead of the lineair chain.
(You can look around for wallpaper and furniture while the house is being built.)
Like I said before: if you wait till the venue is secured, you may find yourself with little time left to get a cast. You want maximum time, the only way to get maximum time is to act now.

The options:
- Secure venue first and post casting call later.
If securing takes long: less time to cast: you can end up with no cast.
If securing goes fast: start casting fast, still no garantuee for a good complete cast, but you have more time to cast
If you get no venue, you don't have to cast. (And you don't have to shoot, so you don't have to edit. This way and outcome leaves you with more sparetime than any other option :P)

- Secure venue and post casting call at the same time:
You may have to find a backup venue, but you use the maximum time you have to get the cast together.
You can end up with:
- no venue and a cast
- a venue and a cast
- a venue and no cast
- both a venue and a cast

What happens when you can't get the venue?
Find a new one or call your cast and cancel your project.
(It's quite simple ;)
The world won't end, only your momentum)

You are worried your casting call will be late, but still you linger to post one.
That's counter-productive.
As if anyone will say: "You forgot to post the mention 1 month before the casting call: go back to square 1".
The only way to get to square 1, is not taking the action that is necessary to get things done.
However, if you wait for the venue, people might say: "You are posting this casting call too late: it sounds interesting, but I already promised my grandma to go to the zoo tomorrow."
People like to plan ahead: so early casting is preferred.

So...
Post the casting call. Mention you still are arranging the venue, but you will know more soon. As soon it's secured: post a new one and edit the old casting call.
You need both the venue and the cast, so why wait with one of them?

Take a chance!

(About 6 months ago I was making a 'short fun trailer like thing'. If I had waited for all locations to be confirmed, I would have 4 days left to do some casting.
While I was looking around for 'the location' I already posted a casting call about 3 weeks ahead.
First location was denied, the second bounced and the third was OKed.)

Alright, thanks. Some of the venues I called so far, are booked up for months to come. But I'll post the call next right away. I hope my DP and soundman also do not back out like the ones before did the last two attempts I tried to make at this. I don't want it to stop me again, but not being able to pull it off, sends a bad reputation. So I shoot and record it myself if I have to, but I hope it does not come to that, cause it will result in a lesser film, most likely.

Okay I will, thanks. Since we're on the subject I've had to move the shooting dates till late October. Where I live there is a high chance of snow at that time of year. But since my short takes place in the desert, is there any way to fake it in case winter comes by shooting time? Can I make snow look like sand convincingly, if need be?

You might want to shoot a video of their rehearsal. Some people will appear a lot better or worse on video than they do in person. You might want them to prepare something in advance.
This is so so true. Pictures are not enough! There are plenty of times where I met the actor/actress that I was casting for a role--and not even recognize them! You will be surprised!

Back