Selling

Hey everyone,

Regarding distribution of your final movie product...

Are there any certain conditions that I have to follow in order to sell movies legaly?

For example, one of the actors abandons your movie and you decide to sell it without telling the actor. (the actor is still in the movie even though he left)? Is it okay to sell it then? (From a legal point of view, not moral)

Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone,

Are there any certain conditions that I have to follow in order to sell movies legaly?

For example, one of the actors abandons your movie and you decide to sell it without telling the actor. (the actor is still in the movie even though he left)? Is it okay to sell it then? (From a legal point of view, not moral)

Thanks in advance!

Do you have a signed release from him?

Do you have a signed release from him?

It was just speaking hypothetical, was really curious. Its good to know these things, you know, being prepared for a rainy day? :)

Anyway, say I didnt get it, what would be the worse thing that could happen? Is it a government matter or a personal stake? (like being sued for instance)

How do you intend on distributing, first.

I think you are doing some exercise videos, or similar, right? Are you planning on distributing yourself, or do you plan on having a third-party distribution company pick up your series of DVDs?

And I wonder why sometimes my film shorts have one person in them :D

This is something I will probably need to look at as well-releases-if my docu ever gets off the ground, interviews would be a part of it. It seems like such a small thing optically-a release form-but it can have such VAST implications :)

How do you intend on distributing, first.

I think you are doing some exercise videos, or similar, right? Are you planning on distributing yourself, or do you plan on having a third-party distribution company pick up your series of DVDs?

Well, I have two projects at the moment :) For now, I was thinking of distributing them as a digital download via internet. I know a couple of sites where you can sell your products without any fees and you just have to give them a small percentage with each sale you make. The site is called PayLoadz or some other site, if im wrong. :)

@Directoric - thanks for the reply. Ill take your advice.

@Gonzo - thats seems to be very useful! :)

@Tinalera - im sure it'll get off the ground sooner or later.

Last edited:
For example, one of the actors abandons your movie and you decide to sell it without telling the actor.
The very best "line of defense" against a lawsuit is a written release. There is an urban myth that a written release is the ONLY line of defense against a lawsuit. Not true. The courts accept oral contrats too, but you need to be able to prove it, which might be hard work if you don't have all of the pieces.

Was the actor paid? If so that's "consideration", a critical thing that courts look for. Sometimes actors work for free in consideration for the experience and a credit. That becomes more difficult to prove if you won't have other documentation such as a casting notice, emails, etc.

Did you run a casting notice that is documented? What did it say that the shoot was for? For a movie?
Did they respond by phone or email?

Obviously when an actor reponds to a casting notice, they memorize a script, they show up, and they perform in front of cameras and crew then, and they cash your check that actor knows that they are being filmed. It really doesn't matter if they later refuse to sign a release. Sure they can sue, but they are going to waste a lot of money for nothing.

Back