Seemingly-random camera movement -- why do you do that?

I'm seeing this way too often, in my opinion. Camera movement that doesn't seem to have any reason behind it. It's like everybody with a DSLR has to justify the purchase of that expensive slider, so they're using it on every single shot. Gratuitous-slider-shots is the new gratuitous-shallow-depth-of-field. Can we stop doing this?

Sorry for the rant. If anybody disagrees with my assessment, I'd be glad to hear your response.

I'm very fond of pushing in on a scene. I do it a lot, at least one or two in every one of my movies. That's my main use of a slider, though I will use it horizontal as well.

As for cursing, it's how people talk. Most of the people I know, when talking among friends, heavily lace their words with profanity. If I was writing a character that wasn't likely to do that, then I wouldn't.

And, for the record: I did speak out [very] loud in SUCKER PUNCH.

"I swear if she lands like that again I'm gonna throw my slushie at the screen.'

You know that landing that everyone does in action movies? The one that was taken out of anime? Land on one knee with one hand down and one arm out?

THE AVENGERS trailer, I think Scarlet does it three times. And, that's just the trailer.

It's quickly climbing to number one spot of my kill list... but, what can you do?

Good point!
I think I'll use that move when I'll do some action-like stuff with camera movement and a shallow depth of field :P

As for cursing, it's how people talk. Most of the people I know, when talking among friends, heavily lace their words with profanity. If I was writing a character that wasn't likely to do that, then I wouldn't.

Festivals screeners are tired of this. One may be lowering their chances with needless profanity. Who really goes to see a movie for the profanity?

Disclaimer: I have used a profanity in my feature film. Just once in the entire film. When it came, it was POW, caught the audience by surprise.

Festivals screeners are tired of this. One may be lowering their chances with needless profanity. Who really goes to see a movie for the profanity?

Disclaimer: I have used a profanity in my feature film. Just once in the entire film. When it came, it was POW, caught the audience by surprise.

If it's in context, makes sense, and seems to be the natural way for the character to talk I don't give a fuck if they like it/screen my film or not. I make compromises in the interests of being festival friendly (length, etc...) but I'm not going to edit in that way unless it's for someone signing a paycheck.

It's the best of both worlds.

ScarletSwears.jpg

:D

Maybe she left he cell phone somewhere.

HA!
Of course my love is of exploitation films, John waters, etc...
By my own personal standards my films have been pretty tame, but not really self censored, just choice of subject matter.
My feature screenplays on the other hand involve
Lesbian vampires
Guys who are sexually obsessed with hot dog condiments
Characters who go on killing sprees while dressed as Frankenfurter

Hey Cracker! I was on the Kessler site and they have a slider that mounts to a jib. Needless to say, I thought of you immediately.

"It cost a fortune and I'm going to use it on every shot." :lol:

Thanks for bringing it up, CF. There is a lot of that going on especially in the low budget indie film maker area. It's like they have learnt all the techniques but not the reasons behind those techniques.

Oh and you need to watch Chinatown. I expect a review from you in my email when ur done :)

Big Polanski fan here and seriously if u liked The Ghost Writer, you'll like Chinatown.

Thanks for bringing it up, CF. There is a lot of that going on especially in the low budget indie film maker area. It's like they have learnt all the techniques but not the reasons behind those techniques.

Oh and you need to watch Chinatown. I expect a review from you in my email when ur done :)

Big Polanski fan here and seriously if u liked The Ghost Writer, you'll like Chinatown.

Yeah, I kinda feel like camera movement can be compared to curse words. If used properly, a curse word can really emphasize a point. Used gratuitously, and they lose their impact. In this short clip, dlevanchuk puts movement to great use -- the fact that it only happens once makes the impact hit harder.

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=35545

Again, there are exceptions to every rule. There may be a filmmaker out there who might have a film in which they want to keep the camera constantly moving. And it may work. But if, in that instance, it works, it would be because every movement had a purpose.

And, yes, I'm totally gonna watch "Chinatown". Just checked, and it's on instant queue. Sweet!

Something funny for you parents of little ones.. or some day will be..

After holding babies for a while, you develop this unconscious rocking motion that kicks in anytime you hold a baby.

Now days, if I pick up my camera, and go hand held shoulder, I do the same thing.... I have the camera always moving a little....

Back