Seeking advice

As I've previously mentioned here, I'm producing a :15 to :30 (minutes) documentary, that will look at both a day in the life of a college student at my school, as well as (for want of a term) showcase the diversity and multifaceted gem that is my school. We've got everyone from your stereotypical sunburned cowboys, to people who are completely opposite of them.

My problem, besides the red tape choke hold my school has me in, is which way to go shot wise. I've been told time and time again that with documentaries - just shoot it. That not only is it pointless to put time into planning whether to pan, zoom, or whatever - but that it destroys the basis of what a documentary is, according to the person I asked.

My plan so far is to - of course - document it all, but use pans, zooms, and other minor camera movements (nothing extravagant) to capture what I want to capture.

Suggestions, comments?

~R

My comment is I don't understand what you're asking.
What you have been told time and time again seems
very accurate to me. You take a camera out into the
world of your subject and document what happens.

If you want to use pans, zooms, and other minor camera
movements (nothing extravagant) to capture what you
want to capture then my advice is to use everything you
want.

I've made several documentaries and I have shot a lot of
behind-the-scenes footage (a document of the making a
movie, a photo shoot, a reality show) and I've shot some
reality shows - also technically a documentary. I have never
decided ahead of time when and how I'm going to move
the camera - I make those choices on the shoot.

But if you feel it's important to put time into planning your
camera movies I think you should do it. It's not pointless if it
works for you.

Excellent advice Directorik.

You should be comfortable enough with the camera to work it on the fly--especially in a documentary setting.

You don't want to get too artsy when shooting candid docu-situations. And naturally you can't plan for blocking or whatnot (unless you DO control your subjects).

Just use good technique, keep it simple, and focus on capturing the moment.

~Directrik~

First off, I apologize for annoying you.

Secondly, that's my inclination, and what I know, but the school is breathing down my neck, to put it mildly. My project adviser keeps trying to explain to them; still, they are intent on...regulating it.

Again, I apologize for the annoyance.

~R

I must be a terrible writer.

I offered advice and encouragment and even told you a little about
my experience. And for some reason you think I’m annoyed.

I must be a terrible writer.

I offered advice and encouragment and even told you a little about
my experience. And for some reason you think I’m annoyed.

It's cool man, I get the same thing...people mistake matter of fact advice or information as rude or abrasive. The problem is the medium of textual language...it's hard to write as well as perceive tone in the written text.

I think what you said was fine. You just tell it like it is. Maybe you should add a smiley or two...just kidding.

I don't think I've ever seen directorik annoyed and he's been here 5 years giving great advice.

AnthemRoad, just reread the post, there's some good advice here.

Admittedly it did come across as a little annoyed, my bad. I guess i need to go redo grade school, heh. I guess i've just been under so much stress I wasn't seeing straight. Anyways, thanks again.

~R

Ah hell, I can't even annoy him! Listen to his wise words..

As for planning a documentary..... other than planning out the type of gear you might need, locations, releases, paperwork, etc... you can't plan too much cause you don't know what you'll end up with...

That being said, plan for "everything".... as in, figure out how to shoot with/without power, with/without daylight, etc.

On a 48-hour challenge I did a short and we needed to put up a light in a park but didn't have a generator. Thankfully I had planned ahead and brought 200 feet of extension cords and a plug-converter that could screw into a lightbulb socket. We couldn't find any sockets around, so I ended up removing someone's porch light and plugging in there just long enough to get the shots. But who would have thought to bring that kind of adapter?

So get that mentality ready and prepare as much as you can... and try and keep in mind how you're going to edit stuff as you go too. Good luck!

I can see how, if you are in a negative frame of mind, this could be seen as "Annoyed."

My comment is I don't understand what you're asking. What you have been told time and time again seems very accurate to me. You take a camera out into the world of your subject and document what happens.

Back on subject...

Now, I'm just a "sound guy", but I've worked on my share of docs. With the exception of interviews it's almost always "run & gun" which you can't plan. I'm currently involved with a sports related doc where the cameraman was very "artistic", which has almost become dirty word in the entertainment and especially the documentary world. The man just has knack for positioning himself in the right places, an eye for great shots and the ability to capture them on the fly. That's what a good/great documentary camera operator does.

I try to do the same when I'm out recording sounds in the field. I have some idea of what I want to get - be it cars or planes or crowds or whatever - but it's the unexpected that is usually the most exciting as well as being the hardest to capture on three seconds notice.

As with any discipline you have to know your tools inside and out and have some idea of where you are going so the technical aspects don't get in the way of your creativity.

Back