• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Searching for a horror film script

Good afternoon!
We’re searching for a feature horror film script.
Low budget film.
Minimum actors (protagonists: a girl and a guy under 25).
No more 1-2 locations.
Not a zombie film, not a bloody film.
The plot should be based on atmosphere and suspense.
Examples (by atmosphere and antagonist character): Unfriended (2015), Insidious (2010), Mirrors (2008)....
Work by contract, payment by arrangements (small). Also we guarantee that your full-length script will be picturized, so you can make yourself known as a script writer.
Summary of the plot (synopsis) is also desirable.
Place of shootings – California, USA.
Search will be till 12.10.15 (2 months). Therefore you can consider this announcement as a competition and write a new script during this time if you don’t have one.
Send scripts here polmetr@gmail.com

Good afternoon!
We’re searching for a feature horror film script.
Low budget film.
Minimum actors (protagonists: a girl and a guy under 25).
No more 1-2 locations.
Not a zombie film, not a bloody film.
The plot should be based on atmosphere and suspense.
Examples (by atmosphere and antagonist character): Unfriended (2015), Insidious (2010), Mirrors (2008)....
Work by contract, payment by arrangements (small). Also we guarantee that your full-length script will be picturized, so you can make yourself known as a script writer.
Summary of the plot (synopsis) is also desirable.
Place of shootings – California, USA.
Search will be till 12.10.15 (2 months). Therefore you can consider this announcement as a competition and write a new script during this time if you don’t have one.
Send scripts here polmetr@gmail.com

You want a bunch of people to work for free and write scripts for you, because there is a chance you might use it.

This sounds really disrespectful toward writers.

You want a bunch of people to work for free and write scripts for you, because there is a chance you might use it.

This sounds really disrespectful toward writers.

There is a rather large "spec" market - writers writing for free speculating
that a producer will buy their script and make a movie. I don't see that as
disrespectful.

I suspect "filmhorror" will never return to indietalk but I'd be willing to send
in a script or even write one if they posted some of their work. This guarantee
"that your full-length script will be picturized" and that the finished movie will
make the writer known as a script writer is contingent on this producer making
a great film from a script. I like the "competition" aspect of this offer. But only
if the producer has finished a very good movie. If this is a first production (and
there is nothing at all bad about looking for a script for a first feature) then I
think the notice should be better written.

I think we should always encourage producers to seek out good scripts from
unproduced writers. I want to encourage producers to be more realistic and open
when asking.

So I suggest "filmhorror" let potential writers (and I'm one of them) see their
previous work.

Good points, directorik.
You could say this is crowdsourcing and it may seem disrepectfull, but every writer is free to take a change or pass.

Last edited:
Also a good point, Walter. Any writer who feels this is disrespectful can
choose to not submit a script. He did say he will pay for the script. So I
don't see how it's disrespectful to ask to read scripts. I can see sfoster's
point about the "competition" to write a new script. But if they have a
good body of work and will actually make a movie it could be a good deal
for a writer.

He did say he will pay for the script. So I
don't see how it's disrespectful to ask to read scripts.
Agreed! I think most writers would be happy to have another pair of eyes reading their work. Not necessarily as happy as being paid to have it produced, but nobody in their right mind is likely to pay for a script site-unseen. :)

Perhaps I was wrong.
In general this sort of practice is frowned upon. For example I would not code a software package for someone as part of a contest and then 'maybe' get paid. I would laugh and then go on with my day if someone offered me that "opportunity"

It has been done before - I recall a coding contest about matching movie recommendations with a million dollar prize or something.

You're right about there being a large spec market for scripts and not a lot of opportunity for payment and production. Perhaps this is one area where it does make sense to have a bunch of people write something for you for free and dismiss all of them but one.

Perhaps I was wrong.
In general this sort of practice is frowned upon. For example I would not code a software package for someone as part of a contest and then 'maybe' get paid. I would laugh and then go on with my day if someone offered me that "opportunity"

Software dev is an entirely different beast than writing. There also tends to be much more steady work for developers (like me) than writers. You're comparing apples and oranges. ;)

This is a normal arrangement. If the OP had not used the word "competition", it certainly would not have caused confusion. Lots of production companies will look or request a specific genre. A call on Inktip, for example, will have a request for scripts dealing with a certain theme meeting certain criteria.

Low budget film. Minimum actors (protagonists: a girl and a guy under 25).
No more 1-2 locations. The plot should be based on atmosphere and suspense.
... Work by contract, payment by arrangements (small).
I would, like Directorik, like to know more about the OP's production company. What other projects have they produced? What kind of budget do they feel they can secure? Obviously budget has many factors, but a company with a track record can often secure larger budgets. All of those suggest this is a no/lo budget project. If they are waiting for the script and hope to crowdfund the production, you may not see the film for some time, if at all, despite the promise to "picturize it". I'd be careful about the payment arrangements.

As a note, since you are not being hired to write the script, you retain copyright and ownership. This is not a "work for hire" situation; you're simply sharing your original work for consideration for purchase. Be mindful of that and remember to copyright/register your work. In the case, the OP is optioning or purchasing your work. It would be in your best interest to structure it as an option where the OP can pay for the right to develop the film and purchase once funded and ready to go into production. If purchased, you transfer your rights to the film, which often includes sequels and adaptations. Be sure you understand your contract before signing.

I'm not suggesting that the OP is being dishonest or that anything is inappropriate. The OP is looking for a script with the intention to shoot it. That's straightforward. I am saying that films don't get made for many reasons. Money is often a big one. If you sell a script and it's not made, there's not much you can do except perhaps to buy it back or move on. If you're paid as purchase of your script with copyright transfer, you're not at liberty to shop it elsewhere or make it yourself. You have to let go and move on.

While you'll never get your work made if you don't submit it, you do have some say in the contract. Some new writers are happy with the money and writing credit and don't realize the consequences. With any submission, be sure to register your copyright. And before signing any contract, be sure to read all the fine print. I'm not speaking specifically to this post but in general when there is a question of money or payment.

In general this sort of practice is frowned upon. For example I would not code a software package for someone as part of a contest and then 'maybe' get paid. I would laugh and then go on with my day if someone offered me that "opportunity".
Yep, script writing and code writing are very, very different. People
write screenplays out of passion. I don't know anything about code
but I assume few people write code on “spec” - speculating that
someone will buy it. But people will write many screenplays hoping
that someday a producer will read it and buy it and make a movie.
It really is a good opportunity to have your script read by a producer.

Is there anything equivalent or similar in coding a software package?

"[Please also send in a synopsis] because read all the scripts entirely is not possible . Thank you in advance for your understanding."
For small producers it's difficult to read dozens of screenplays.
Larger prodCo's, agents, producers and studios hire readers who
read screenplays and “cover” them; essentially writing a synopsis
for the higher up to read. So even asking writers to send a synopsis
isn't frowned upon or considered disrespectful.

Back