• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Sci-Fi Alien Short Film

Hey Guys I made this science fiction short film for a local film contest, I took a different approach to the stereotypical Alien Vs Predator or Signs films and tried to include comedy.

Overall it was fun to make and I would really like some feedback as I plan on entering some more of these contests in the future.

Thanks People :)
[/B

Actual Link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMLrgfrbfW0

Yeah I was going to add some music in at the start but I had trouble finding copyright free audio that was relevant to the shots.

But I still feel that it works well without dialogue as it adds to the sense of lonleyness the character is feeling.

It really doesn't work without background music. I understand you may have been going for a lonely feel, but it just doesn't work, especially with the comedy elements in it. If you were still trying to go for a lonely feel you could always just right music yourself for it and get a program to make the file for you - "lonely" often equates to slow music either really high or really low and not crossing between the two in the piece unless emphasizing something important or funny in the scene. At least, that's always what I've thought was more appropriate. Music is especially needed when you have no dialogue what so ever, besides those alien noises he makes at the door.

Another problem I'd note is that there's not really an ending to it. It just of... stops.

It's okay though, with some improvements it'd be quite nice.

Thought you did a pretty good job! Give yourself a hand.

Was hoping for a better ending, something that really grabs you.

Your over all compositions could of been better, but pacing was nice.

You gave it some thought -- great, you didn't just turn on the camera. You worked it. You made something! Something that others found fun to watch!

Time to move on. Make a hundred more short videos, while trying to keep it fun. Best of luck on next project. And your next...

I liked it! Great job!

May I ask what camera/lenses you used? I saw a zoom move so my guess is it's a kit lens?

And I think the funniest part (to me) is when he enters his car and his head scrapes the top of the roof and he doesn't seem to care. Heh.

Cute idea. However, as said already, it REALLY needs music and sound design. It's very hard to watch without it.

Even if you can't get someone to write original music, you can use already created music (as long as you don't plan on making a penny from this).

Back