• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Scene from "Quickie in the Kitchen"

Today I had interior shoot for my new short "Quickie in the Kitchen".

This time I wanted to do everything right to get not just boring typical amateur youtube type of the footage, but good looking, interesting stuff. We ended up spending nearly 3 hours trying different light angles, camera positions, and rehearsals for this 17 second short scene... But in the end I was really excited, because everything looked good to me.

There were three of us.. One guy acted, one guy held a scoop with 100watt light bulb, and helped pushing the dolly.

Still lot of work needs to be done with sound, as always lol

anyways, here is the footage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5V9WWzIQ3s

Yes, need to correct the outside light as well.. Mixed lighting no good :(

Last edited:
hey love it. That last cam move really says production value!

Ill point out the light is being reflected in the glass photo frame in the hall. Easy to fix on set, not so easy in post.

If this is done, then donworryboutit. If your shooting again, note that a little wad of tape behind one side of the picture frame is a enough to change the angel of the frame so the light is not longer reflected.. I did this with a mirror in a cafe, I noticed yesterday the tape was still there.. whops.. .

I like the mixed lighting, adds some color to the shot and shows that it's in the real world. Giving a hint of blue and a hint of orange adds a reality for the viewer, these colors really exist in the world and the viewer's brain expects them a little. I don't think this is over colored either way.

WThanks for watching, guys!
Paul: the whole short is about 5 mins long. hopefully the rest of the shots will be as satisfying as this one :)

Wheat: thank you for pointing those mistakes out! Lucky today I don't have anything planned to do so I ll grt on them right away. Still got to train my eye for those little mistakes! :) Thats really good advice about the tape, definitely will remember for next shoot

Knightly: oh sweet. Its just the opening door shot worries me of how purpleish blue it is. But thats ok, just finished color editing on that shot.

Last edited:
Boom!

The purple exterior color was bugging me, so had to color correct the light from outside.. rotoscoping sucks, but damn, it looks good haha

I still want to reduce the blue on the actors face as well, but thats later on..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulDkNHp5NMI

I like that you continue to crank out these shorts and keep busy, Dima. All this with a full-time gig? Kudos.

Yeah, mixed lighting vexes me so.

What's the time frame for the completed film? Any guesstimates?

Embrace mixed lighting! The brain expects a little mixed lighting from the real world and without it misses it. When looking at someone's face, if you look at the side of the face lit by indoor lighting, the sunlight will look blue and vice versa. Perhaps not as strongly colored as in this shot, butI would have said you can't correct the sunlight, so set the camera to the daylight preset, then use gels to move the lighting to just toward orange (Using CTB gels to push it away from orange and toward blue on the color wheel).

In this shot, you could probably even use a chroma key of the shot to grab onto the mid-highs in the blue channel and pull it toward orange, while doing the opposite with another key of the reds. Using these, you can pull the lighting toward white, but not all the way there keeping a little bit of color for the viewer's subconscious to lock onto and say exterior/interior to them.

I like that you continue to crank out these shorts and keep busy, Dima. All this with a full-time gig? Kudos.

Yeah, mixed lighting vexes me so.

What's the time frame for the completed film? Any guesstimates?

Thank you for your helpful encouragement!

I could only film on weekends and will be done shooting in two more saturdays... after than I'll dive into heavy post production (I've already started early with available footage), and expecting to be done by end of november.

Yes, full time job (56+ hours a week) puts road blocks on production, otherwise i d be doing this all day every day haha

In this shot, you could probably even use a chroma key of the shot to grab onto the mid-highs in the blue channel and pull it toward orange, while doing the opposite with another key of the reds. Using these, you can pull the lighting toward white, but not all the way there keeping a little bit of color for the viewer's subconscious to lock onto and say exterior/interior to them.

I followed your advice and the bluesh/pruple tint did turn into a nice realistic daylight flow around actor. It looks reaaaaaaly nice! Best back lighting ever haha Thanks for advice!

Last edited:
For the record, tomorrow is halloween and:

Screen shot 2011-10-30 at 5.08.33 PM.png
Check the # of posts there... scary

Back