• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Scarlet's Witch < Short Film Release!

Hey guys,

after a few months of waiting on music, here is the full and final film. I hope you enjoy this new genre of fairy tale like short films I'm trying out.

All in all, took 3 days to shoot and 4 days to edit.

fx.jpg

SCARLET'S WITCH
16 MIN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmVwu-WZ8Kc&fmt=18 < ENJOY!

- Fred

That was well worth the watch. :cool:

I have no idea how/if that could be improved upon. Hits all the marks I'd look at, for sure.

Well, that 5 seconds of the crowd at the end was a bit hokey, but wow - I'd be a happy camper, if I were you.

This was great! I really enjoyed watching it! You have great production value. I love watching great shorts like this, because it proves that you don't need a huge budget to make a great film, or really expensive equipment. It was only shot with an XL2 right? The look of the film was awesome! I would love to see this one in full quality. Have you thought about uploading your films to Vimeo at all?

Wow!
I don't know how long after Darkwood this was made, but it looks like your visual style has greatly developed! You nailed the atmosphere, and the colors were quite good. I personally think that it would have worked better if it had stuck with one color style for the entire movie, rather than two extremes, but that's just me. And whoever did the music should pat themselves on the back, it worked really well.

Overall it was a sweet flick.

Very nice, I liked this far more than any of your other works. I loved what you did with the color, but perhaps a little less intense. I don't the cinematography in a picture should ever over-power a work, I felt as though it did here. The technique was still great!!! Just perhaps a little less subtle?
Good direction, very good sound mixing.
I agree, the end scene was a little corny. I felt as though the opening credits ran a tad too long for a short, but that's a verrrryyy minor problem.

For some reason I feel as though you'll find success in film marketing rather than filmmaking. Whether it be poster art or film trailers. In my opinion this is perhaps more important than the filmmaking aspect itself when it comes down to business.

It's hard to tell what people are commenting on since you posted two films in this thread.

I watched Scarlet's Witch. I could see this being a little festival gem (although the ending confused me, see below).

The girl was breathing in the end, she was supposed to be dead. Kinda screwed up the ending for me and added confusion since the narration suggested she died. And some males died in the end, I assume they cashed in on a favor as well. Was that a little PC so you weren't saying women are evil?

That's all. Good luck with it!

It's hard to tell what people are commenting on since you posted two films in this thread.

I watched Scarlet's Witch. I could see this being a little festival gem (although the ending confused me, see below).

The girl was breathing in the end, she was supposed to be dead. Kinda screwed up the ending for me and added confusion since the narration suggested she died. And some males died in the end, I assume they cashed in on a favor as well. Was that a little PC so you weren't saying women are evil?

That's all. Good luck with it!

Basically, she did die but not immediately. The idea wasn't that it was only girls but MANY were involved, and the cycle needed to be stopped. So she stopped it. Not saying women are evil at all, just saying that many were involved ( both men and women ).
Thanks for wathcing

AND.

jaredp --

I found your comment rather insulting. "For some reason I feel as though you'll find success in film marketing rather than filmmaking. Whether it be poster art or film trailers. In my opinion this is perhaps more important than the filmmaking aspect itself when it comes down to business." But thank you for watching either way.

Basically, she did die but not immediately. The idea wasn't that it was only girls but MANY were involved, and the cycle needed to be stopped. So she stopped it. Not saying women are evil at all, just saying that many were involved ( both men and women ).
Thanks for wathcing

AND.

jaredp --

I found your comment rather insulting. "For some reason I feel as though you'll find success in film marketing rather than filmmaking. Whether it be poster art or film trailers. In my opinion this is perhaps more important than the filmmaking aspect itself when it comes down to business." But thank you for watching either way.

Cool. I think it would have been stronger if we were sure she died. And I was asking if you added the males in the end to be PC, if you were worried that the story evolved around women (witches), because it did until the last second, there was no previous evidence of the cycle involving males (warlocks). It felt a tad forced, like you had to let people know that shallowness is not gender specific. Overall though it's nicely done, good editing, good score, etc. Narration can bug you sometimes, here it was good even though it sounded like Desperate Housewives ;) Keep it up.

Cool. I think it would have been stronger if we were sure she died. And I was asking if you added the males in the end to be PC, if you were worried that the story evolved around women (witches), because it did until the last second, there was no previous evidence of the cycle involving males (warlocks). It felt a tad forced, like you had to let people know that shallowness is not gender specific. Overall though it's nicely done, good editing, good score, etc. Narration can bug you sometimes, here it was good even though it sounded like Desperate Housewives ;) Keep it up.

Well you are sure she died because of what the narration said. Especially since the next shot she isn't moving and is just laying there motionless.

And no, i didn't change anything for PCness, i just was point out the message of the film wasn't exactly directed at gender, just the idea of sacrificing for the greater good.

Thanks for watching again!

Watched it again, I see what you mean but that motionless shot was in the shadows and quick. I wanted it to happen in the previous shot. Don't mind me.

FCRabbath said:
Thanks for watching again!

No prob, I enjoyed it.

Where's the Red Sky trailer?

I think it's a beautifully sculpted short, and there's is little I do not adore about it. You have a great piece here, and I wish it well. The photography was wonderful, the color was very fitting and intelligent, the lighting was overall very well executed...pretty much all of the technical aspects were beautiful.

However there are a few little things I found distracting...

Firstly, the wrack-focus work was overdone...there were too many blatant pulls with focus, and it distracted me from the otherwise wonderful photography. It's almost as if this was the first project the DP has done with adapters and lenses, and they were like a kid in a candy store. Maybe it's just my hyper-sensitive attention to the technical aspects, but it distracted me. Far too many indie films are abusing wrack and pull focuses...I'm sure this phase won't last long...but it does bother me a little. Don't get me wrong, it didn't break the film by any means.

I found the crowd scene in the end of the film silly. I understand where you were going with that (so many people through out the years have been a part of this magic trap), but I think having that many people drop in the same scene completely broke my belief in the magic...even if this had been going on for centuries, not that many people in the same park would drop dead. And if it really was that many people, then probably world-wide the population would take a massive drop...I don't know...it doesn't work for me. It makes the magic less...majestic and charming. It cheapens it.

Nice 'night-for-day' shot in the field...it was a clear day and there are hard shadows from the sun, but luckily nothing was very noticeable, and it was a successful execution. I liked the moon composite a lot.

On a side note, the young version of Scarlet is a diamond. She's got a great look, and she's very natural for her age. I think she's going to go places if she really wants to. She's got the chops already.

Excellent short. Very well executed. Nice job. Where is the production company located?

Last edited:
Well thank you for the review,
though i disagree with you about the last scene due to other comments on it (as in some critics who saw it from New York Film Seven who really liked that scene), and when removing it, it actually removed a cool element i was looking for, but of course it was an awkward scene all around so i have that noted.

There is no production company or budget for this.
Just me, my camera, and 2-3 crew members, we are from Florida tho!

Thanks for wathcing

AND.

jaredp --

Sorry it certainly wasn't meant to be. Just based on your marketing work, I think you stand out in that area. Take this as a compliment, there's a lot more money in that part of the industry, and you have a more unique talent in that.

Well thank you for the review,
though i disagree with you about the last scene due to other comments on it (as in some critics who saw it from New York Film Seven who really liked that scene), and when removing it, it actually removed a cool element i was looking for, but of course it was an awkward scene all around so i have that noted.

There is no production company or budget for this.
Just me, my camera, and 2-3 crew members, we are from Florida tho!

I hope you don't mind me giving a 'review' if you want to call it that...I just wanted to express what I liked, and what I didn't. I feel like this--if any--is a safe environment to do so, correct?

The problem with the crowd scene is not the concept...it's the overly assertive use of the concept. There is no way that many people would drop around one another...not even if the magic has been around (and being spread) for centuries. What could have been done in its stead, was a few different scenes with less people dropping, but several iconic locations of population...fewer people, more locations...it doesn't have to linger, it can be quick for identical pacing...

Anyway...it just seemed like a cool fairy tale went reality TV for a second...that's all.

Cheers. I loved it overall.

I hope you don't mind me giving a 'review' if you want to call it that...I just wanted to express what I liked, and what I didn't. I feel like this--if any--is a safe environment to do so, correct?

The problem with the crowd scene is not the concept...it's the overly assertive use of the concept. There is no way that many people would drop around one another...not even if the magic has been around (and being spread) for centuries. What could have been done in its stead, was a few different scenes with less people dropping, but several iconic locations of population...fewer people, more locations...it doesn't have to linger, it can be quick for identical pacing...

Anyway...it just seemed like a cool fairy tale went reality TV for a second...that's all.

Cheers. I loved it overall.

Oh no, it's great! I love feedback, i was just expressing my reasoning behind it, because it was an awkward scene and others have mentioned it to me. So it was just fresh in my head. Thank you though!

Sorry if i didn't seem like i didn't want it, i was just basically explaining why i left that cut there since others had asked about it as well.

Oh and i replied to your email btw!

Back