• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Rose Of A Different Color

It's in there! Symbolism, love, Silent movie telegraphing, - It's like a foreign short where you find yourself asking "What the hell was that all about?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MqnV5qJa8E

Yeah, I'm bad with this kind of stuff. Were they husband and wife once? Got divorced and now he wants to be friends, possibly with benefits. What the hell do I know? It looked pretty and had some great shots.

If I had to pick on one shot it would be when you go from the wide across the lake of them approaching each other to the med CU of them. The sky changes drastically. It took them hours to walk those final two feet.

Considering the title of the movie, i have to assume that the roses and their respective colours represent the main theme and idea of the film.

Since red roses are supposed to signify passion and love, that would the male actors character and since white roses supposedly signify purity, that would be the female actresses character.

Going along those lines, i would say the male character was passionately in love with her but she did not allow herself to be loved. Circumstances and situations ensued. They both ended in death and are buried at that church where the red and white roses lie together.

And since red and white roses together supposedly signify unity, poetically at the end of the film, they are united together now in death.

Haha! I told you, well most of it. I've been reading about how the audience interprets what it sees much like it does when listening to a song. Interesting project, actually.

ussuinners, ya', the light sucked in that mini-sequence as it was shot the week before the solstice and the sun dropped like a stone. It was actually only about 15 minutes between shots. I only had the actors for about an hour.

Wisest thing I've heard lately: "In paying gigs, the subject is something you usually don't have passion about. Get used to it, but always give it 110%."

Considering the title of the movie, i have to assume that the roses and their respective colours represent the main theme and idea of the film.

Since red roses are supposed to signify passion and love, that would the male actors character and since white roses supposedly signify purity, that would be the female actresses character.

Going along those lines, i would say the male character was passionately in love with her but she did not allow herself to be loved. Circumstances and situations ensued. They both ended in death and are buried at that church where the red and white roses lie together.

And since red and white roses together supposedly signify unity, poetically at the end of the film, they are united together now in death.

I've admitted I'm bad at this symbolism stuff. But, here's a chance to clue me in.

Let's assume Ernest's explanation is correct. There's two or more things that threw me off from death.

1) The couple were shown after seeing the marker.

2) Nothing cinematically changed to show that we were now seeing the spirits of the couple after seeing they were dead.

3) If they were dead all along, how should I have known this?

Haha! I told you, well most of it. I've been reading about how the audience interprets what it sees much like it does when listening to a song. Interesting project, actually.

It is interesting. What was your take when filming? You chose the shots, and the order they were placed. What was the story?

Damn it, I want to know! Please. :)

I've admitted I'm bad at this symbolism stuff. But, here's a chance to clue me in.

Let's assume Ernest's explanation is correct. There's two or more things that threw me off from death.

2) Nothing cinematically changed to show that we were now seeing the spirits of the couple after seeing they were dead.

It is interesting. What was your take when filming? You chose the shots, and the order they were placed. What was the story?

Of course, id like to hear from John abt this since i may be totally incorrect.

As for the points you raised, the way i saw it was that the chronological order was altered to show the current time and the past time together. I deduced this because i saw that they were dead. Considering this, the events then could have taken place later with them being spirits or before. Since the events contain the rejection part, i assumed that it would have to be before since that made more since. Rejection first, death second then unity in death. Storywise, death first then rejection as spirits wouldnt make much sense to me.

It's kept ambiguous on purpose. There is a spiritual element as if they are married or about to get married, The red rose(s) are pretty obvious, but the white white roses also mean asking for forgiveness. The male character wants out of the relationship, but they are god friends. The floating rose is supposed to signify the female's gut feeling that her love is drifting away. The grave marker with red and white roses is intended to show that love or friendship is dead.

...or whatever cohesive explanation connects the dots. An interesting way to end a movie that would get people talking if you're lucky. It's like answering a question with a question and is interactive, to an extent, with the audience. This was my first attempt, so it is what it is. Camera movement was part of the deal, too.

Oh, the 1 fps cloud shots are as good as a cross dissolve if not overused.

Of course, id like to hear from John abt this since i may be totally incorrect.

As for the points you raised, the way i saw it was that the chronological order was altered to show the current time and the past time together. I deduced this because i saw that they were dead. Considering this, the events then could have taken place later with them being spirits or before. Since the events contain the rejection part, i assumed that it would have to be before since that made more since. Rejection first, death second then unity in death. Storywise, death first then rejection as spirits wouldnt make much sense to me.

See how it get's people talking? By the way, this was BORING to shoot with about a 10:1 ratio of preproduction/production.

Okay, here's what its about: This is a young couple celebrating there 1 year anniversary, since they began dating.

They met at the Young Single's Mixer last spring, put on by 1st Presbyterian of Monasses. They were led to meet

each other because they were both wearing red belts. Turns out they love Karate. So, red became "their" color.

That led to the idea, that part of their celebration would be, to commemorate the place they met by marking it

with their color. As you can see, this jackass forgot what their color is. So now she's pissed.

Couldnt be simpler. :)

Last edited:
Yep! It's pretty sweet, but now I need appropriate lenses. It's always something. :lol:

Since it's a new concept, I got an A+.
Don't go all Michael Bay on us with the new lenses and toys and such. ;)

Congrats on the A+.
Your work looks very good.
DIY track or something a wee more officially professional?

Okay, here's what its about: This is a young couple celebrating there 1 year anniversary, since they began dating.

They met at the Young Single's Mixer last spring, put on by 1st Presbyterian of Monasses. They were lead to meet

each other because they were both wearing red belts. Turns out they love Karate. So, red became "their" color.

That lead to the idea, that part of their celebration would be, to commemorate the place they met by marking it

with their color. As you can see, this jackass forgot what their color is. So now she's pissed.

That works. :lol::yes:

Don't go all Michael Bay on us with the new lenses and toys and such. ;)

Congrats on the A+.
Your work looks very good.
DIY track or something a wee more officially professional?

Just skate wheels and home made track. I figured out how to butt the 3/4" track for smooth seems. Use schedule 80, 3/4" electrical conduit. Yellow tipped hardwood dowels fit inside nice and snug.

BTW Michael Bay uses Panavision Hologram recorders. ;)

They met at the Young Single's Mixer last spring, put on by 1st Presbyterian of Monasses. They were led to meet

That led to the idea, that part of their celebration would be, to commemorate the place they met by marking it

:lol:

I see it as a romance dying, because the dude waited too long to act. Dummy should've acted sooner.

Congrats on the "A", Vader! Nicely-photographed, by the way.

:lol:

I see it as a romance dying, because the dude waited too long to act. Dummy should've acted sooner.

Congrats on the "A", Vader! Nicely-photographed, by the way.

I'm getting a bit better, but I really want to spend time on scenes, which usually isn't an option with free help and guerrilla tactics. Picking the best shot out of two is getting old. ;)

Thanks!

Back