Rode Mic T2i

I'm no expert on these things, but after listening to various tests online -- it sounds pretty decent. Virtually no noise and it sounds warmer than the VideoMic. For me, anyway. If a sound expert could chime in, that'd be cool. :)

What speakers are you using for your audio listening and in what kind of environment? I listen on about $2.5k worth of speakers in a sonically isolated, acoustically treated room. I hear every little flaw - every bit of hiss, every rumble, every mumble and growling stomach, every piece of grit on the floor. My work is ultimately supposed to be screened at festivals, meaning it will be heard on a quality theatre speaker system. And that's where the substandard gear and lack of technique smacks you in the forehead.

If you're making videos for practice and for fun anything goes; if you are serious about your projects and career you need to pay serious attention to gear and technique. Hiring a professional is always my first recommendation, finding a hungry knowledgeable up-and-comer is next, DIY is last on my list.

There are a multitude of factors that influence the quality of the sound. Self noise is inherent in all audio products, cheap/inexpensive products tend to have a lot of self noise.

Inexpensive/cheap products also tend to color the sound. Sound coloration is actually useful for music recording, but is not welcomed when doing production sound.

Signal path is how the audio moves through the various audio devices - the mic, the preamp, the mixer and the recorder. They all will impart noise and coloration. How much will depend upon the quality of the gear and proper set-up.

Gain staging is obtaining the best Signal to Noise (S/N) ration - how hard you can push the preamps and inputs in the signal path before clipping/distortion occurs.

Higher bit/sample rates allow for more headroom and less aliasing during processing.

None of this addresses how to set up a proper signal path, how to do gain staging and, even more important, how to do proper boom and lav technique.

And all of this is stuff you need to know in order to capture solid production sound; audio post brings in a whole other set of creative, technical and equipment needs.

Audio is a very involved topic, which is why I recommend pairing up with someone who knows more than you do. There are no "magic bullets" that will give you great sound; only knowledge and experience can do that.

After all of this off-putting drivel my point is that there comes a point of contradictory diminishing returns. You can have great gear but without knowledge and technique you'll still end up with crappy sound. But all the knowledge and technique in the world will do you no good without at least the basic equipment needed to do the job properly, the first of which is to continuously listen to what is occurring on the set through a pair of good closed-back headphones. As I mentioned in a previous post if you are using a DSLR you have to think the way you would if you were shooting on film. Real film has no sound recording capabilities at all; you must have a separate audio recorder. If you want the film look you have to pay the price.

If i do go and get a Zoom h4n and use the Rode NTG-2, would i have to have someone carry it? I dont understand how you carry the zoom and the mic at once? Anyone have behind the scene or photos of this?

You can either have the sound guy carry the Zoom in a fanny pack or place it in a light stand or tripod

see the below pic. Shows a Zoom w/ a Boom Mic and a Lavalier plugged into it. If using a wireless, you want the wireless receiver stationary as moving around will cause problems. I have seen some folks place the zoom on a shoulder mount cam rig w/ the shotgun mounted on the cam. Remember, you want the shotgun mic very close to the mouth to get clean sound

z.jpg

Last edited:
If i do go and get a Zoom h4n and use the Rode NTG-2, would i have to have someone carry it? I dont understand how you carry the zoom and the mic at once? Anyone have behind the scene or photos of this?

One of the issues with poor audio is the mic being too far
away from the subject.

If you asking about a one person operation - with the mic
attached to the camera - then you are going to be stuck
with poor audio. It seems to me from reading all the comments
that what you want to do and what would be the proper way
are two different things.

You can attach a mic (any mic - even a $5,000 one) to your
camera and it's not going to pick up the audio you want it to.
So the alternative is to use an audio recorder and a shotgun
mic on a boom to get it close to the subject. But then you will
another person. There is no way for one person to hold the
camera, the h4n and the mic and get excellent video and audio.

If you are "one man band" you are kind of restricted to a mic
on the camera. And that will get you poor audio regardless of
the quality of the mic.

If you are "one man band" you are kind of restricted to a mic
on the camera. And that will get you poor audio regardless of
the quality of the mic.

As a one man band.. I can tell you. I have HOURS of ambient trash filled w/ buzz, hiss, cars,trucks,footsteps, glasses clinking, things sliding around and they are all mixed with faint dialog. You want that mic almost hitting the top of the head of the person speaking, think inches, not feet. Sometimes a wireless lav is better if you can avoid interference. A good set will cost plenty and then you have to master the tools to make them shine. Im finding you have to be just as much a sound pro as you are a camera pro to get good sound. Im still digging thru the trash, but it is getting better slowly. I need to have the cash to hire a sound pro to get my stuff where I want it..meanwhile, Im getting better at the 1 man show stuff. It's getting old.

Last edited:
I understand what you guys mean about the mic close to the subject. But i do alot of following my subjects around the mall, boardwalks, in public areas, that having a mic on a boom would be a nuisance. The only other option im thinking is a lav mic that way we are still getting close to the subject.

I understand what you guys mean about the mic close to the subject. But i do alot of following my subjects around the mall, boardwalks, in public areas, that having a mic on a boom would be a nuisance. The only other option im thinking is a lav mic that way we are still getting close to the subject.

In your situation it seems best to just attach a mic to the
camera and go for it. But know you know what other options
are available.

Using a wireless mic is one of them. You need the mic, the
transmitter and the receiver in addition to the audio recorder
so you're getting into a bit of cash.

You have many options.

Back