Rode Mic T2i

I think the consensus seems to be that this won't cut it for most films.

For the T2i you're going to require an external audio recorder (your best bet is the Zoom H4N) and then a shotgun mic like the Rode NTG-2. This will leave you slightly over budget, but it's a sound investment (if you'll excuse the pun).

The Rode VideoMic is aimed at consumers, and is a large improvement over the crappy camcorder mic that they are used to. It is woefully inadequate for real filmmaking.

Since you have opted for a more film look - DSLR - you now have to work as if you were using film, which means you have to use a separate audio recording system as the audio implementation of DSLRs is horrendous. The Zoom H4n and Tascam DR-100 are inexpensive but have very serious drawbacks such as low volume levels, lack of manual controls and short battery life to name just a few. You'll also need a shotgun mic, a cardioid mic, a boom-pole, shock-mount, wind protection, cables, etc.

Full agreement with the two above. Bottom-of-the-line audio starts at $600, for a cheap mic and a cheap external recorder. Even with an external mic, the T2i doesn't capture good audio.

To be frank, my opinion on this matter depends on your level of filmmaking, and what you plan on doing. For many years, I used a crappy $30 mic, plugged directly into my camera. It wasn't because I don't believe in spending money on audio. It was because I come from the school of taking things as they come. If you're a beginner, I don't think you have to do EVERYTHING at once. If you want your films to be taken very seriously, however, $300 won't cut it for an audio budget.

I still have mine, that I bought for a project a year and a half ago. Is it a great mic? No. But if it's all you can afford - before Alcove steps in, we actually spent more on sound than anything else - it's a hell of a lot better than any built-in mic on a consumer camera. However, you'll be a lot happier with a proper audio recorder and XLR microphone.

I still have mine, that I bought for a project a year and a half ago. Is it a great mic? No. But if it's all you can afford - before Alcove steps in, we actually spent more on sound than anything else - it's a hell of a lot better than any built-in mic on a consumer camera. However, you'll be a lot happier with a proper audio recorder and XLR microphone.

Actually, I recall a similar conversation in a different thread before, and Alcove isn't any kind of an audio Nazi. If you're broke, you're broke, and if you have to get things piecemeal, so be it. So long as you know that eventually you've gotta spend some money on audio. Anyway, yes, even something like this is better than nothing.

Actually, I recall a similar conversation in a different thread before, and Alcove isn't any kind of an audio Nazi. If you're broke, you're broke, and if you have to get things piecemeal, so be it. So long as you know that eventually you've gotta spend some money on audio. Anyway, yes, even something like this is better than nothing.

Fair cop :)

the main reason I wanted this mic is because i like how it fits right on to the hot shoe on my camera and wont have to carry around something else with me. I do alot of one the spot filming and having the Zoom H4n and a separate shotgun mic seems like to much to lug around. And yes, I am a beginner. 16 Years old, and had this T2i for about 6 months.

Thanks, Cracker.

My whole basic position is that your professional reputation relies upon your equipment, and that equipment purchases should be made with that and with future needs and compatibility in mind. It's the continuous battle between cost and quality. I've always run my own business on a shoestring, so I do a huge amount of research before making any purchases, considering my present and future needs and compatibility.

To cite an example - the Rode VideoMic sounds okay and will do the job, but I would not get it because it has no upward compatibility. The VideoMic is a high impedance unit, and the next step up requires you to go low impedance; the VideoMic will have to be replaced outright and has minimal resale value, so I will have wasted $150. That's why I would opt for the Audio Technica AT897 or the Rode NTG-2; they sound passable, and they use batteries to supply their own phantom power so can be used with a most inexpensive cameras and recorders with a simple impedance adapter. They are compatible with professional gear once you take that next step and will serve as an acceptable emergency/back-up unit when you decide to "go pro" and buy something really nice like an NTG-3, MKH-60 or CMIT5U.

So that's how I think about things and why I make the recommendations that I do.

Alcove: Is it possible to use the Rode NTG-2 directly to my T2i? Because like i said, i prefer something to place right on top of my camera, i believe its called the hot-seat?

The NTG-2 is balanced (meaning it connects with an XLR cable). The T2i only accepts unbalanced (regular mini-jack, like for headphones). You can purchase an XLR adapter (a popular choice for many prosumer camcorders), but a cheap external recorder is actually the same price, or less expensive, than an XLR adapter, and it will get much better quality audio than on the T2i.

In the long run, you might be better off getting an unbalanced $30 mic, saving your real money for when you can afford both an external recorder and a decent mic.

Let's put things into perspective - the audio implementation on DSLR cameras is CRAP!!!!!!!!! Maybe about 10% as good as a camcorder with a minipin mic input (which is substandard from a serious filmmakers point of view), not to mention the AGC which is difficult to defeat on most DSLRs.

I'm sure that you won't be spending $900+ on the wireless system (Sennheiser G3 - $600) and a good lav (CountryMan or Tram; around $300) so the cheap wireless and cheap lav will be feeding the crap audio in the DSLR. Will it work? Probably. Will it sound good? Well, are you going to take the time to properly place and secure the lav? Are you going to monitor the audio while recording? Oops, you can't; there's no headphone output on the camera. So you won't even know if it worked until you get into post where you may find that there were serious clothing rubs, bad levels, drop-outs, RF interference...

These are just a few more of the problems of recording audio directly to a DSLR.

Let's put things into perspective - the audio implementation on DSLR cameras is CRAP!!!!!!!!!

Word !

You need an HD monitor to see your work visually on set..do you want to listen to what audio you are getting on set ???????.. Wireless units attract noise !

I just got a cheapo UHF wireless setup that Alcove would laugh at, but it might just work. It does have some noise which I can get aout using audio editor, but I will not trust it blindly to get what I need on set. I will drag a laptop and headphones to check my audio at least. Better to quickly open up audio files in an editor and see what Im getting. I will test, test and monitor dialog ON SET to make sure I have what I need from this point on. Much much easier than reshooting or doing ADR.

to futher devlop the question, will a wirless lav sound better if its pluged into an external audio record rather than a t2i then? does it only have to do audio level or does it affect the quality as well?

Not sure if you guys mentioned this, as I didn't see it -- what about using JuicedLink XLR audio adapter with XLR mics (like NTG-2)? I was gonna do that soon for my HV20, replacing my VideoMic. And I may get a t2i as well just to see what all the fuss is about with VDSLR.

I'm no expert on these things, but after listening to various tests online -- it sounds pretty decent. Virtually no noise and it sounds warmer than the VideoMic. For me, anyway. If a sound expert could chime in, that'd be cool. :)

to futher devlop the question, will a wirless lav sound better if its pluged into an external audio record rather than a t2i then? does it only have to do audio level or does it affect the quality as well?

You would do better w/ an External. PLUS you will not have a cord plugged into the cam which is a bummer if you want to be mobile or if someone trips on the cord and the cam comes crashing down .

Not sure if you guys mentioned this, as I didn't see it -- what about using JuicedLink XLR audio adapter with XLR mics (like NTG-2)? I was gonna do that soon for my HV20, replacing my VideoMic. And I may get a t2i as well just to see what all the fuss is about with VDSLR.

I'm no expert on these things, but after listening to various tests online -- it sounds pretty decent. Virtually no noise and it sounds warmer than the VideoMic. For me, anyway. If a sound expert could chime in, that'd be cool. :)

Even with an XLR adapter, you're still recording really lousy audio. These DSLR's just weren't designed with this as any sort of primary concern.

Thing is, though, the JuicedLink XLR adapter is just as much as a cheap external recorder, so why the heck wouldn't you just get the external recorder?

Back