Review of the Fader ND Mark II

Hey there,

I recieved a Fader ND Mark II from Lightcraftworkshop about a week ago and I thought that I'd take the time to write a review.

First of all, If you read the review and decide you want one, buy it here: http://www.lightcraftworkshop-shop.com/product-list/19

Lightcraftworkshop is a seller you can trust.

First of all, what is a Fader ND Mark II?

The Fader ND is a Variable Neutral Density Filter... It allows you to change the density of the filter, without changing the filter itself. The only thing you have to do, is twist the adjusting ring

sideview2n.jpg

Specifications

The filter comes in various sizes. The smallest size you can get is 37mm, but you can get a size of up to 82mm, judging by the website, but on the box, it states up to 86mm. So best thing to do is get in contact with Boniface Leung (who is the owner of LCW) and ask if your desired size is not listed.

A great thing, especially when you do not have much money to spend is, to get step rings. I have a 77mm version, which Boniface kindly supplied. He also sent step rings, so I only have one filter, but I can use it on both my lenses.

How does it arrive?

Upon arrival, you will first notice that the shipping from Hong Kong was insanely fast. Well, that is for UK Customers, I cannot tell you how fast it will be to US Customers, but I reckon, it will be roughly the same or a few more days. The filter took 4 Days to get to me.

The filter comes very neatly boxed. It is not a re branded product, as far as I know and judging by the Box, it doesn't look like it. The filter will come in a cardboard box with a Logo and the specifications, an email address, the website and your chosen filter size printed onto it. A sticker with the model will also be placed on the top.

outsidebox2.jpg

Once you have opened the slick looking cardboard box, you will find that there is a matching lens cap on top of the filter itself. The lens cap is included for free and is of good quality. Under the lens cap you will find a see-through filter case, which includes the Fader ND Mark II. Again, the filter sits in the box securely, and you don't have to worry about it breaking during transit. The actual glass of the filter doesn't even touch the plastic box, because the metal edge has the first point of contact on both sides. Around the filter, you will find some foam, to evenly secure it.
Leaving the filter aside by now, you will find that there is a little string under the plastic case, which is probably there for attaching the Lens cap to your camera or similar. The lens cap has a little hole for a string attachment. You will also see that a little Information sheet is included, which enlightens you on how to use it.

plasticbox2.jpg

The Filter itself

There is not to much to say about a great product like this. It does what it is designed to do. And tell you what, it does it GREAT!.
When filming, you do not want to break the rule, that you use double the shutter speed of the frame rate, and that is one method of adjusting the exposure. Breaking the shutter speed rule can often result in jerky looking footage or the opposite. The other thing left is, adjusting the aperture. When you are filming, it is pretty essential to keep a shallow depth of field... To adjust the exposure, you could bump up the F-stop, but you will have a very deep depth of field.

With the Filter ND Mark II, you won't have the problem anymore. I found that, I could very quickly adjust to the exposure I wanted, without actually changing the settings in the camera.

filter2.jpg

Example Pictures!

Here are some pictures of my street , i took them at settings of Shutter Speed 1/50th, F1.8, ISO100

comparisonm.jpg

All in all, I couldn't be happier with this product. You can NOT notice the filter in Full HD video at all!
Is it worth the money? Yes

Thanks for reading the review, was my first one and i hoped i cleared up some questions. Do not hesitate to ask me anything!

Last edited:
good review.

Does it have any kinda "lock" I seems from other videos that it just spins so freely that I seems like it would constantly be moving around.. that said, its probably not a problem anyway..

Thanks

Back