• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

revealing an important character

Hi Indietalk

Just wandering, I have a script with voice overs in it, but as part of the film's twist we don't find out who is saying the Voice over till the end.

The Voice Overs happen all throughout the script and am wandering what I should call the characters voice over if I dont want to reveal the character yet. I.e should I introduce the character as MALE VOICE OVER? or should I write the actual characters name.

Cheers

matt

Will the character be speaking on screen during the film before the reveal? people will pickup on that that right away, also if its a great screenplay and gets turned into a movie, then a "known" voice will give this reveal away. I'm not sure Id bank on this reveal as a hook for those reasons alone.

Can you add a layer of abstraction.. perhaps the NARRATOR is READING from someone else's journal, or something like that..

I'm sure of your narrative, but from what you've said, i don't believe the hook to be as significant.

"Milk" opens with Sean Penn--Harvey Milk--beginning a self-gratifying almost apologetic narration. Even though we know who the voice belongs to, doesn't make it less emphatic.

The only way to mask the hook, is if the voice has aged, and even so, this is a common theme that many will pick up on.

....also if its a great screenplay and gets turned into a movie, then a "known" voice will give this reveal away. I'm not sure Id bank on this reveal as a hook for those reasons alone.....

I knew it was Kevin Spacey in "7" just from his voice on the telephone, so I spent half the movie time simply waiting for him to appear.

Midnite

Back