Resisting a fan fiction urge

sfoster

Staff Member
Last month at my friend Saleh's house I met a dude who was a dead ringer for christian slater. I didn't say anything to him because he probably hears it all the time.

This month I go back there.. and I met a dude that is like 95% tom cruise!
Makes me want to pick up the story at the end of interview with the vampire. But why put all that effort into fan fiction when the rights holder can just shut it down. Hmm maybe if I use it more as 'inspiration' and the audience will simply recognize the vampires for themselves.

Not sure about slater but tom cruise said he would do a movie as long as it's before july when he goes back to the netherlands.

Make a parody!! You have the perfect opportunity!

It's nice that no one can shut down a parody, but I don't know if I could write a funny one.

Lestat and Slater aren't on screen together until the very last scene of the movie, and I don't have a brad pitt.

What sort of format would the parody take?
God help me, do I need to watch "vampires suck"

Last edited:
maybe the flashbacks could transition to something entirely unrelated and Slater's character could blame it on an inexperienced editor

that's a funny resolution but then i'm just left filming two guys in a room for the bulk of the content. doesn't sound terribly dramatic.

something to think about.

Sounds fun. Go for it. (Although, is it really true that no one can shut down a parody?)

Maybe you wouldn't need flashbacks. Maybe it could be about life after the interview: life with Lestat and Daniel Malloy (interviewer). If a parody, it could be an odd couple sort of thing.

Or maybe, going the parody route, if you have it in you to do so, you could send up the homoerotic aspect of the story, which might work since some people who wish to deride the film do so by dismissing it as "that gay vampire movie" (John Carpenter, for instance). That might be a way into it as a parody. Perhaps Lestat has made Malloy his house boy. Or maybe it's more like the antics of sugar daddy Lestat and rent boy Malloy. Or maybe they're just boyfriends/partners. Hey, it could be about them negotiating their new right to marry.

Of course there must be other ways to parody it. Maybe those are just the more obvious.

An interesting question is how will you tackle Lestat's wardrobe and makeup?

Maybe it could be about life after the interview: life with Lestat and Daniel Malloy (interviewer). If a parody, it could be an odd couple sort of thing.

Or maybe, going the parody route, if you have it in you to do so, you could send up the homoerotic aspect of the story, which might work since some people who wish to deride the film do so by dismissing it as "that gay vampire movie" (John Carpenter, for instance). That might be a way into it as a parody. Perhaps Lestat has made Malloy his house boy. Or maybe it's more like the antics of sugar daddy Lestat and rent boy Malloy. Or maybe they're just boyfriends/partners. Hey, it could be about them negotiating their new right to marry.

Of course there must be other ways to parody it. Maybe those are just the more obvious.

An interesting question is how will you tackle Lestat's wardrobe and makeup?

I like the idea of afterward better, because it opens up a world for me to play with. They could attack a house and kill a family or something fun.

Adding a homo erotic vibe could be an extra barrier to convincing these guys to want to star in it I think.

Has there ever been a parody that took place as a sequel? I feel like the only parody I've ever seen was a rehash of the original plot. Especially meet the spartans. that was such a shameless rip off lol.

You could force lestat to update his wardrobe as part of malloy's influence to help him blend into the modern age. Maybe malloy could say - you look different now. Yes, now you are seeing the world through vampire eyes, so I don't look exactly like tom cruise anymore.

I'm not for sure about no one being able to shut down a parody but I do believe there are extra protections for it. Otherwise how would things like scary movie and epic movie exist. i doubt they have permission to use jack sparrow as a character in their film, for example. but as a parody they don't need permission.

Here's something quick I just typed up for a first scene.

EXT. WILDERNESS - NIGHT

Lestat is standing over Daniel Malloy. Daniel wakes up.

Daniel

Everything is different. You don't look the same.

Lestat

You're seeing the world with vampire eyes for the first time. That's why I don't look exactly like Tom Cruise.

DANIEL

Interview with the Vampire came out in 1994. It's a little dated for a spoof, don't you think?

LESTAT

It's a blink of an eye in the life of a vampire. I've waited for someone like you Daniel. Someone to integrate me to the modern world. Someone that looks like Christian Slater.

Daniel

Well hey if we're powerful vampires lets go take some chicks and have a party.

Lestat

First we need a picture together, to use as a thumbnail for this video.

Lestat and Daniel pose together for a picture.

--

later at a party, daniel is drinking straight from the bottle.
This tastes like water. there isn't any alcohol in it.

lestat

of course not it's a movie set

daniel

this is going on youtube. come on give me a real bottle.

director walks out and hands daniel a bottle.

--
stuff like this.

The first draft clocked in at 8 pages, I'm going to show it to tom cruise tomorrow.
Turned out really well.

This is going to be cool to watch, sfoster.

You're doing pretty well with the comedy from what you posted of your script draft.

Would you care to show more of the script? It looks like a cool read. :)

This is going to be cool to watch, sfoster.

You're doing pretty well with the comedy from what you posted of your script draft.

Would you care to show more of the script? It looks like a cool read. :)

I uploaded the full first draft as per your request.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9S3QuD0Q4yQek0xU1dEYmN0eG8/view

Tom cruise said he is on board with the project, which is great. He was laughing out loud a lot as he read the script. Hopefully I will see christian on friday.

Pretty good script, I liked it.

There were a few moments where I had to reread a few lines to get my head around what was going on, but I'm sure that on the screen it'll all be much clearer. Either that, or I'm just having a hard time reading tonight.

How long do you think this will take you to shoot, edit, etc. and get it up online?

Back