• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Rendering security cameras footage?

I have a security system at my house (qsee) I have some footage on my computer but it looks as if the quality is like 240P and I can't really see that well once it gets dark outside. Is there a way to render this footage to make it 1080P? or at least visible?

Why not actually shoot the footage in 1080p, from the security camera's POV? Apply a few filters to make it look like stereotypical security cam footage. Blowing 240p video (prolly already super-compressed, to start with) up to 1080p will look pretty terrible.

Wouldn't blowing up 240p look more realistic though, like real security camera footage? One of the problems I had with Paranormal Activity 2 (2010), is that the the security camera footage looked way too HD and clean, and sounded too clean too. You don't want to have that lack of convincing, unless I wrong of course, or looking too hard.

In JFK (1991), they blew up the actual 8mm Zapruder film, and that looked and felt much more real, than recreating it at a higher film resolution. The movie never got any flack for the Zapruder films point of view looking terrible.

@H44

Paranormal Activity 2 is an example of a film that didn't sell the illusion, and didn't give the footage a fuzzy look. If they had exported and reimported the clips at a lower resolution, added noise filters, maybe a timecode, some ISO changes, perhaps lacking audio, and other video artifacts (and any other quirks and flaws)... they could have sold the illusion of it being shot with a cheaper camera. While it may sound redundant, doing it this way allows for more options. What if you do decide the resolution is too low? Or perhaps there's too much noise, or it isn't quite the right look and needs adjusting.

Wouldn't blowing up 240p look more realistic though, like real security camera footage? One of the problems I had with Paranormal Activity 2 (2010), is that the the security camera footage looked way too HD and clean, and sounded too clean too. You don't want to have that lack of convincing, unless I wrong of course, or looking too hard.

In JFK (1991), they blew up the actual 8mm Zapruder film, and that looked and felt much more real, than recreating it at a higher film resolution. The movie never got any flack for the Zapruder films point of view looking terrible.

I haven't seen PA2, but I think it's much more important to recreate the reality rather than present it - if you see what I mean. It would be more realistic to film it with actual security cameras, but it would be a hell of a drag to watch on a big screen with that fuzzy noise, pixellation - whatever. I see a cleaner image as just establishing - this is meant to be security camera footage, and then it gets out of the way - the style doesn't detract from the film watching experience.

And of course, it's always best to get the best quality you can - can go down from there - but can't upscale from poor footage.

I have a security system at my house (qsee systems) I have some footage on my computer that I backed up through an EXT hard drive but it looks as if the quality is like 240P and I can't really see that good once it gets dark outside. Is there a way to render this footage to make it 1080P? or at least visible?
Not sure if it matters but i copied the files from my DVR and is in the FAT32 format.

Would a graphic card work? I know that may of been a dumb question but im a no0b
Or my other question is thouse HD converters.
Couldn't I just burn my footage onto a DVD then render it through those machines that turn your dvd in to blue ray, would that work on the subject of me getting me a better picture?

if not then how do they release old movies from like the 70s or whatever on blueray and they look better

You've posted this already, I believe. The first answer in there is sage advice - film it with your proper camera and use post-processing effects to get the feel of a security camera. There's no way to get more detail from an image - the best thing to do would be to throw away the low-quality footage and refilm it.

But what if I put my footage on Dvds then put the dvds through a blue ray converter that makes them 1080P. Wouldn't that help it?

:weird:

No. There is no way to upconvert already terrible quality, super-low-resolution video to 1080p. You can scale it, but it will look like absolute crap - good luck even being able to recognize people and objects.

Last edited:
:weird:

No. There is no way to upconvert already terrible quality, super-low-resolution video to 1080p. You can scale it, but it will look like absolute crap - good luck even being able to recognize people and objects.

Wait a sec, then how are they enhancing camera footage in all those CSI shows? :hmm:

:cool:

There is nothing you can do to improve the video quality as its the format and quality thats put out by the camera, check the model of the security camera and look up the info of what it puts out.

If you want to add a security camera look to other footage there is a great effect in fcpx also other effects there as well that will give it a grainy security camera feel, but I dont think there is anyway to upscale the quality of what you have.:huh:

Okay last question. lets say the DVR had the capability to record in 1080P right. but for some reason, due to a setting of some sort. it only recorded in 240P or something along those lines. could you still then render it to make it look better?

I mean, you could de-noise, de-block - but they're really processes to improve footage that has mistakenly got problems, if you like - unavoidable things that got in. If you've got the option to avoid some of these problems by recording with a high-quality camera, you'd be crazy to not to.

There's no way to render 240p video to make it look as good as 1080p - you must record at that quality to do so. Just apply a filter post-hoc and save yourself any more troubles.

Back