• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Rendering an audition video.

So I have a client who has me video tape their daughter doing an audition for films, I did the last video and had it looking great, however when I rendered from Sony Vegas it made the file pretty sizable. She told me the people at the talent agency complained due to how long it took them to download, and I need to find a way to get it to this agency where they can just click and go. Or at the least really quickly.

She has me using "YouSendit" to send here footage to the agency.

What can I do to get the video rendered and uploaded so they can get it with very little to no time at all in terms of downloads speed?

I thought for sure YouTube would be at least ideal, but in some senses I could see an unprofessional quality to it, she said no to that.

Soooo any thoughts?

Dropbox.com - You provide them with a link to watch it. They click on it, download it, and watch it. But.. if their computer is slow (or connection) then it really won't make a different unless you change your render settings... some codecs just take more juice to play!

You could Use Vimeo - That is where the majority of professionals upload their work. You can provide a link with a specific password for the agency. Much better quality than youtube and no annoying cat videos.

The people at the Talent Agency - what are their needs for the video?

Have you edited the reel, and they just need a link to watch/send/share the online video? Or are you sending them raw footage that the agency needs to edit a reel together themselves?

the people at the talent agency complained due to how long it took them to download

Ask them how they normally receive such video? :hmm:

They are apparently use Quicktime Pro 10 and they just click it and it plays. I'm not entirely how they watch it specifically, as my client is the one who speaks with them. I normally edit and render the reel via Sony Vegas.

Download Handbrake. It's a free video encoder.

Find out what file types are acceptable by the agency: mpg, avi, mp4? That sort of thing. Then go into handbrake and you want to encode it to one of those file types and then play around with lowering the bit rate until you have a more manageable file size.

btw, what was the size of the file you sent them? What size file are they expecting?

+1 for vimeo - render out from vegas to mp4, upload to vimeo (you can upload one HD video per week for free), the quality is pretty decent, you can protect it with a password and there will be no waiting at all at the other end. And if they really want to they can download the original mp4 file, or various sized compressed versions from vimeo too! What's not to like?

Back