• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Removing excessive wind

So my cameraman failed to show up Saturday. (Bastard). So no Panny100, boom-mic, crane and other fancy toys along with his experience. Luckily I had rented a Sony PD100 ($100 for a whole week!) just in case of this happening.

Now, the Sony PD100 is the model that does not have a directional foam-covered mic built into the body of the camera... so I had to make do with the regular onboard mic that it had. Up in the windy mountains of Chino Hills State Park it picked up a *lot* of wind noise.

Anyone have some tips on what audio-settings to play with in Premiere, to cut out some of that sound? I've used Hi & Lo pass filters before to get rid of constant hum/drone background noise, but the wind on this is very erratic and kinda loud.

I'm hoping there's a filter that can handle wind.

:cool:

If there is a filter for wind, I haven't found it yet. However, if you have access to Adobe Audition (or its precursor, Syntrillium's CoolEdit), it has some decent background noise reduction tools that may allow you to isolate a part of the wind noise and strip it down...

Unfortunately, if you've got wind throughout, you may need to overdub a few spots instead...

I was hoping noone was going to say overdub :lol:

Unfortuantely, the wind is so bad in some places that it's the voices themselves that are "background". :cry:

I was checking frequently at the site, and the sound wasn't so bad on the camera's built-in speaker, when reviewed. It's a mess on my TV though.

Yeah sorry ZEN thats our wosrt nightmare wind, unfortantly I really haven't heard of a way to fix that problem. like STBD said overdub ouch sorry. PLus those on board mics stink heck putting a really cheap lav on the floor would be better lol. I just hate those onboard mics. Wish I could help. Good luck

Call the previous shoot a rehearsal... :bag:

CNN BREAKING NEWS

Director Steven Richards was found lynched from a lamp post earlier today. Police have several suspects in custody, including two actors and a production assistant who had worked with him earlier in the week on a short film.

:cool:

Is that a better outcome than asking them to overdub everything in post? ;)

The problem with wind is, it's PART of the noise you'd be filtering. It's hard to isolate because it's not at a steady frequency. Worse, it's probably at the same frequency as your actors' voices (sometimes), which means even if you could strip it out, you'd be stripping out part of their voices with it, leading to what we like to refer to around here as "The Alien Effect;" i.e., the dialogue sounds like it was recorded via the Great Space Transmogulator in the sky...

Any chance you could use the scene WITHOUT dialogue? Perhaps insert music over the top instead and allow their actions to tell the story? (For a prescient example, stay tuned for the final episode of STBD Season Two, in which I find creative ways around Shooting in a Club Where the DJ Won't Stop Playing Unlicensed Music...)

I'm seriously considering subtitling it for now... 'til I can ambush the two actors to come over and redub.

Will need the final edit finished first, I guess, so they don't re-record non-used footage. :D

Unfortunately, I can't do without the vocals in any of the scenes. It's a very wordy script. I do, however, have several takes of each scene, so I suppose I can nab & juggle the audio to pick out the least-affected parts from the various takes.

Re-dubbing sounds good, I guess. Won't happen 'til the ITOOFC is over though, as the edit will take a while and the deadline for Round 2 is less than 2 weeks away. :blush:

OK. I have the solution.

1) Move to Europe
2) Buy a beret and a pipe
3) Redub the film using French actors, but then add in wind noise so they can't be heard either
4) Then subtitle it
5) Tell everyone that you did it deliberatly and that it is a post modern deconstruction of the aural landscape, where the wind is a methaphor for our essential existense in isolation, unheard.
6) Run some of the sequences backwards for no good reason and jump cut every 123 frames to a man in a duffle coat holding a stuffed aardvark, apart from one shot, where he is holding a duck. (I think a mallard)

clive said:
OK. I have the solution.

1) Move to Europe
2) Buy a beret and a pipe
3) Redub the film using French actors, but then add in wind noise so they can't be heard either
4) Then subtitle it
5) Tell everyone that you did it deliberatly and that it is a post modern deconstruction of the aural landscape, where the wind is a methaphor for our essential existense in isolation, unheard.
6) Run some of the sequences backwards for no good reason and jump cut every 123 frames to a man in a duffle coat holding a stuffed aardvark, apart from one shot, where he is holding a duck. (I think a mallard)

that is the greatest advice i have ever heard in my life

Man, this place is the best.

The good advice and tips, mixed with humour. :P

Btw Clive, you had me thinking about that hilarious Monty Python sketch where the girl is seated in a garbage dump holding a cabbage, with the seagulls flying overhead... and a Frenchman sparking up a conversation while chain-smoking. :lol:

So... looks like subtitles and Mandarin overdubs. Hopefully my all-American short will not lose anything in translation.

_______

Well... I asked the two actors to suck it down and do a re-dub once the final video edit is in place. They said they'd do it for twice the pay. I agreed, as the original pay was $0. I think I can afford that. :yes:

_______

Btw Clive, I'm nicking that film-idea! I love it!

Until I can get the two together next week, I've faked it best I can.

Placed a Highpass filter on the audio, at 3500hz. The voices sound really tinny and weak, but at least they can be heard now.

The show must go on! :P

Back