Red Scarlet should get the drool flowing

Not exactly a secret, Red introduced the Scarlet camera at NAB, here's an interview with Ted Schilowitz at Red about the target market for a 3K camera that should sell in the $3000 range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QkoHTjx8siM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QkoHTjx8siM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
(from Camcorderinfo.com)

Sure to stir the "film look" debate for some time to come! :lol:

Neil

the chip in the scarlet is a 2/3"... which is approximately 16mm (actually 15 and a bit). So the DoF at a given focal length will look like a 16mm camera.

They are also giving full rebates to Red One purchasers who upgrade to the 5K epic when it comes out... You trade in the body of your red one and they apply 17.5k to the purchase of the epic! What an odd plan... brilliant though.

...does the Red camera not record audio into the camera?

-- spinner :cool:

I've been looking at the Red page (and the Reduser boards) but haven't yet found an answer to that. I would imagine that given the target market built in audio would be a standard, but you never know with those guys at Red!

It's going to be interesting to see what the response from the "major" camera makers will be to the Scarlet.

The RED ONE was initially released with the hardware in place for the audio, but the software wasn't finished. People were so punchy to get their hands on the units (and most of them were recording separately anyway) that they didn't care and would upgrade the firmware when the audio was available...they just wanted the image NOW!

The RED ONE was initially released with the hardware in place for the audio, but the software wasn't finished. People were so punchy to get their hands on the units (and most of them were recording separately anyway) that they didn't care and would upgrade the firmware when the audio was available...they just wanted the image NOW!

...but the only silent movies I want to watch have Chaplin in them..... :lol:

-- spinner :cool:

The cameras (panavision, arri) RED is targeting the market space of don't have sound capabilities at all, the industry just doesn't use it in the camera.

While that's certainly true of the Red One, it's not for the Scarlet. That's why I'm wondering about its audio capabilities. I haven't read anything about it though.

Here's something straight from the Reduser board, just someone's comment so take it for what it is worth:

"When I was at NAB, I had a chance to ask Jim (Jannard) about that. He stated that the current plan is for a 1/8" plug-in interface for mics, but was clearly still considering options regarding that. I brought up the fact that 1/8" is unbalanced, even if a 1/8"-to-XLR is employed. He agreed with me on that and stated that that was why they hadn't fully committed to the 1/8" plug idea yet. As the audio stats weren't printed on any the material, I get the impression that 1/8" plug idea was decided on pretty late in the game and only so that there would be some representation of the Scarlet's ability to process sound.

Graeme Nattress stated that the camera will be capable of recording two channels of audio.

As it's clear that 1/8" doesn't make Jim terribly comfortable, I feel strongly that they'll either figure out how to fit some XLR plugs onto the small camera or create a proprietary, balanced plug that would need a dongle out to XLR by the time it's released."

Just to attribute, the comment was from Jeremy Hanke, Editor-in-Chief, MicroFilmmaker Magazine
http://www.microfilmmaker.com

Or so he says in his post;)

At least it offers some hope for audio in the Scarlet, but at the price point I would bet some sort of balanced input is incorporated in the final product.

Hello,

I have a question regarding that scarlet resolution.

They say for the 2/3" cinema, and I quote:

[...]
3K: 1-120 fps, (150 burst)
FF 1080P: 1-30 fps
[...]

I have a feeling I am not understanding everything here.. Isn't 3K a bigger resolution than 1080 Full HD? I know that the "p" stands for "progressive", "FF" I would guess something like "full frame" but I am speculating through my lack of knowledge here..

My question is: why 3k has a bigger frame rate than FF1080P when it should be the opposite?

Thanks for any enlightenment!:yes:

As far as I know, the RED records the 3k as a r3d-file but also saves a 1080, 720 and SD version of the file on the disk.
The fps 1-120 (150) means that you can record at frame rates as low as 1fps up to 120fps. The HD-Qichtime-file that's saved can only support 1-30 fps, I guess.

I was also going to guess that it's probably a downside of the particular type of file they're using, or the associated storage mechanism to do the 1080 as opposed to the larger formats.

3K is recorded to REDCODE RAW, while the 1080P version is recorded at RGB, and the processing power to downcovert the 3K and the convert the bayer information into RGB is much higher than recording to RAW. Thus, it can record much higher frame rates to RAW than to 1080P RGB.

www.bayareafilmmakers.com

Back