Reality Taxi Show Idea

Hey guys, I have an idea for a TV show that I want to create and I'm curious to know who would help me create it.

I am a real live taxi driver in New York City and have been for about 2 years time (about 1/2 the time as a parttime job). My passengers do really crazy things, the kind of conversations and behavior that I couldn't make up even if I tried. I'm sure that being a white, caucasian American male, myself, helps fuel the situation.

I imagine my show as being broadcast secretly sort of like that movie, The Truman Show, with me as the host, live, and broadcast perhaps over the Internet 24/7.

Anyone interested in creating this? I have no background in acting, film, or television of any kind.

Check out some "Behind the Scenes" of the popular Reality TV shows and listen to the crew talk about how the drama is directly tied with the cameras - it's all staged.

^^^ Truth ^^^

Very often, the "Talent" on "Reality" shows are wearing a very small earpiece (inserted with a very small translucent antennae) which is invisible to the camera. Producers will sit in a room with talk-back mics tagged for each person in a given scene. The producers will then prompt the "Talent" with what to say and do. Then 2 (usually) people with laptops and time-code readouts "write" the thing as it happens so that the editors have a "script" to reference.

Yeah, David's right. A couple weeks ago some reality show came in and filmed at my day job. It was 100% staged. Multiple takes, producers telling the people what to do/say. And they probably won't even end up using it since the people weren't fighting enough for the producer's liking. I mean, I always knew reality tv was fake, but man, I had no idea exactly how fake it really is.

On another note, they had some really sweet equipment. *drool*

Yes. Every one of them. In some of the videos you see blurred
faces - those are the people he did not get a release from. And
he got sued because several of the release forms were signed by
under age girls claiming at the time to be of legal age.

Why don't you just give it a try? Hide a camera in your cab and see
if you get what you want. You said you were okay doing this illegally
at first.

To air people's dirty laundry live without their consent will get you sued in all probability and perhaps even earn a beatdown from angry passengers. I think your course of action is unwise.

If anyone from the board would like to go in on this project with me just let me know. I'd prefer to be paid as an actor/host but also go in with you guys on how the project is set up. Anyone in New York City???

Yeah, David's right. A couple weeks ago some reality show came in and filmed at my day job. It was 100% staged. Multiple takes, producers telling the people what to do/say. And they probably won't even end up using it since the people weren't fighting enough for the producer's liking. I mean, I always knew reality tv was fake, but man, I had no idea exactly how fake it really is.

On another note, they had some really sweet equipment. *drool*
Being in Las Vegas, there's always some reality show or another filming here. I've seen Denise Richards' reality show filmed her, and Gene Simmons' show as well. They ABSOLUTELY stage EVERYTHING. That's one reason why I can't stand reality tv. At least with a scripted show, they're not trying to get away with anything...

I know where you are coming from with this,
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=33895

I was originally envisioning a reality based style with footage of actual fares but in the end decided to go for documentary with the driver recalling stories. Maybe it was better that way, doubt I would of got a release from a major drug dealer on the way to a secret meeting with corrupt customs officials and police.

Don't some NY cabs have cameras in the car for security reasons? There was that cabbie that was accused of rape but cleared his name by producing the footage. The girls just wanted a free ride and called rape because the driver wouldn't have it. Maybe you could install a security cam and edit some footage just to see how it will work out (of course you cannot release or circulate this).
I would suggest working on a pitch and taking it to networks that air this kind of stuff. They will have the necessary experience, equipment and law team. Also a major network's name may be more of a lure to sign those releases. Your edit of footage can help you here.

But yeah, we've all had crazy nights that played out in the back of someone's cab everynow and then but the poor driver's get that day in day out, or should I say night in night out?
It's a whole different world after dark and cabbies get to be party to societies darker flipside.

Hey Chris, LOVE it!!!!!! I actually had a similar idea of the camera being focused on my passengers and NOT me, and keeping some sense of anonymity, while at the same time narrating or hosting the conversation, since most of the time the passenger is the one who does the crazy stuff. Have you read over my blog?

Also, just out of curiosity, if you don't mind saying, what was the financial angle on this short film? Were you able to make any money off this? Did you pay the driver for his stories? One network has already contacted me about the idea and discussions are in progress, although I'm open to other discussions.

Hey Chris, LOVE it!!!!!! I actually had a similar idea of the camera being focused on my passengers and NOT me, and keeping some sense of anonymity, while at the same time narrating or hosting the conversation, since most of the time the passenger is the one who does the crazy stuff. Have you read over my blog?

Also, just out of curiosity, if you don't mind saying, what was the financial angle on this short film? Were you able to make any money off this? Did you pay the driver for his stories? One network has already contacted me about the idea and discussions are in progress, although I'm open to other discussions.

This was a school project so no income from this. Just last night started on tidying up the edit a bit and getting someone to write some music for me (the labels that own the music in there don't answer my requests to license). Might shoot some new footage that would of preferred but didn't manage to get for the hand in deadline.

Once that is all together might try the festivals with it again.

The driver is an old school buddy and we were coming back from a job I done for him as a favour so he kinda owed me one. People do get excited about doing this kind of stuff so he was happy to oblige everytime I rang him and said I needed more footage.

You should never really pay for editorial stories, kinda lowers the integrity of the piece. If you approach someone with money to talk about a subject there is a temptation to make it all up just to get the money.

Hey Chris, good work. Just out of curiosity What area was your film shot in? I pick up UK people all the time and last night I picked up some English people who were talking with the "Posh" British accent. How common is that? I assume they were from South London. I have never been to England myself. I have also picked up someone with the Cockney accent. I know this because I asked him about his accent and where he's from. Can you tell me more about the accents in England?

This was a school project so no income from this. Just last night started on tidying up
the edit a bit and getting someone to write some music for me (the labels that own the music in there don't answer my requests to license). Might shoot some new footage that would of preferred but didn't manage to get for the hand in deadline.

Once that is all together might try the festivals with it again.

The driver is an old school buddy and we were coming back from a job I done for him as a favour so he kinda owed me one. People do get excited about doing this kind of stuff so he was happy to oblige everytime I rang him and said I needed more footage.

You should never really pay for editorial stories, kinda lowers the integrity of the piece. If you approach someone with money to talk about a subject there is a temptation to make it all up just to get the money.

Back