Racism documentary: Are they overdone?

I have had some drive to make a racism based documentary with my own spin on it.

My question is, are they over-done. Is the market inundated with those types of films. Or is there a legitimate demand or interest for it?

:yes:
wattersk said:
I have had some drive to make a racism based documentary with my own spin on it.

My question is, are they over-done. Is the market inundated with those types of films. Or is there a legitimate demand or interest for it?

How about spinning it by making white people being opressed by Mexicans in Mexico after a large meterorite slams into north america.

Oh wait, that was "The day after tomorrow"

too late.

I don't think they're overdone.

For the most part, though, the more recent ones coming out have been focusing on very small geographic areas or individual events/people.

I can't think of any recent ones that have tackled the topic as an across-the-board issue, aside from a couple that have covered the Muslim communities and the fallout many have had since 9/11.

No, racism is not over done. Racism is something that exists in the real world so it will never be "old" or "used" source material.

But that scenario requires documentary makers that search for new stories to tell in a contemporary fashion.

I think that if you have an opinion on any subject and are willing to take the time and the money to make a doc out of it, then it should be made and it should be shown. America is founded on the belief that one is as important as the whole so your voice is important no matter if anyone thinks racism docs are overdone.

Poke

Thankyou for the responses. Also, if anyone knows of a webring that links independant film makers websites I would appreciate it if you would post it. I am interested in starting a website and exposing my films to a larger audience.

There may even be a section on here for just that. If you could point it out, that would be very helpful.

Drama = Conflict
racism is source of conflict, therefore racism is good source of drama (applies to documentaries)

Personally I think that you can't really stop talking about this until it ceases to be an issue, so although I fervently pray that in my lifetime there will be an end for the for documentaris about racism, it hasn't happended yet.

Go to it, make a good one. Make one person think differently and change the world (Seriously)

clive said:
Drama = Conflict
racism is source of conflict, therefore racism is good source of drama (applies to documentaries)

Personally I think that you can't really stop talking about this until it ceases to be an issue, so although I fervently pray that in my lifetime there will be an end for the for documentaris about racism, it hasn't happended yet.

Go to it, make a good one. Make one person think differently and change the world (Seriously)
Make one person think differently and change the world

amen to that

To many films about racisem...?! Let me think...., how about no there are'ent to many! As long as people dying becaus of there religion(Gasa), skincolor( Germany/ UK 2005). Maybe the way of telling those horrobel stories is the key! No one can tell a storry exactly the same way as a ohter one. Not even twins. So the best way for us, not geting bored to hearing about racisem, is....: find new ways. Find new facts and dont prich. just chare with your viewers. Chare with us.

Back