Quitting Caffeine

I discovered the joy of coffee four years ago (coincided with the birth of my first kid) and haven't looked back. I love it but if I haven't had one before 2pm I get a headache.
I instantly feel happy from the first sip which apparently is the first sign of addiction. The coffee hasn't had the chance to do anything and I already feel better.

I'm only on 2-4 a day but yep I'm a goner.

I discovered the joy of coffee four years ago (coincided with the birth of my first kid) and haven't looked back. I love it but if I haven't had one before 2pm I get a headache.
I instantly feel happy from the first sip which apparently is the first sign of addiction. The coffee hasn't had the chance to do anything and I already feel better.

I'm only on 2-4 a day but yep I'm a goner.

Its that effervescence. I read somewhere that there is research being done on the anti-carcinogenic propertys of coffee. The longevity of the property is linked to that effervescence. You nkow, when coffee sits for a while, its not the same. Well they say that by that time its lost whatever anti-cancer stuff it had.

Stuff=my term

After a doctor visit a year ago, I had to stop caffeine and salt at the same time.... Mtn. Dew was my drug of choice....... The headaches lasted about a week and a half to two weeks for me. I feel for you man.

Stuff=my term

Probably anti-oxidants. Tea has more. It's a myth though that tea has more caffeine. The average shop-bought coffee has around 20mg/100mls to 75mg/100mls of caffeine (the average being around 30-40mg/100mls) whilst teas have anywhere from 10mg/100mls to 30mg/100mls (average being around 20mg/100mls).

Red Bull actually only has around the same amount of caffeine as an average cup of coffee (30mg/100mls).

The highest caffeine per 100mls drink I've been able to find is "Ammo." You could literally have a heart-attack drinking that stuff.

Back when I was working with computers, I did the 2 pots a day thing pretty regularly. I made myself go a week without caffeine every 6 months or so, just to make sure I wasn't dependant on it. I usually regulated after 2 or 3 days. These days I drink much less. My girlfriend can't have as much caffeine, so we do the 1/2 caf thing at home. That took me a while to get used to, but I did. Long project weekends though, I still binge. Coffee, candy orange slices and the beverage of my childhood (Jolt) keep me going when I pull all-nighters.

But, boy would that kill me if I did it every day!

I've got my addictions but I'm glad coffee isn't one. I'm not usually ever 'dead-to-the-world' tired unless I get less than 6 hours of sleep, but when I am and have tried coffee, it feels like a drug. I don't even feel the right kind of awake and then a couple hours later I just crash and feel shitty and toxic. But then I don't drink pop (besides the occasional jameson/pepsi), so 99% of the time I have zero caffeine in my system.

Check this out, though, Murdock.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_maté

I had a friend who went from 2-3 PINTS of espresso a day to no coffee at all by using this stuff.

I'm immune to caffeine, but I do enjoy coffee. I have an espresso machine at home, at it's getting more use than my camera.

But then I don't drink pop (besides the occasional jameson/pepsi), so 99% of the time I have zero caffeine in my system.

You'd do that to your poor Jameson!??!?!

I kid; I mix with J a lot. It's cheap enough that you don't feel guilty mixing and tasty enough to still drink straight. As someone who spent a particularly memorable summer with car bombs, I have no place to say...I just don't like pepsi myself ;)

Can someone confirm or refute this: Expresso charges you up faster, has a more intense rush, and lets you down faster as well.

It's the last part of that question that I'm skeptical about.

I've got my addictions but I'm glad coffee isn't one. I'm not usually ever 'dead-to-the-world' tired unless I get less than 6 hours of sleep, but when I am and have tried coffee, it feels like a drug. I don't even feel the right kind of awake and then a couple hours later I just crash and feel shitty and toxic. But then I don't drink pop (besides the occasional jameson/pepsi), so 99% of the time I have zero caffeine in my system.

Check this out, though, Murdock.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_maté

I had a friend who went from 2-3 PINTS of espresso a day to no coffee at all by using this stuff.

I have heard of this, Ithink. Its a gaucho thing. Had it in an Argentinian bakery we go to. Pretty good from what I remember. I need to recheck it out.

Last edited:
Can someone confirm or refute this: Expresso charges you up faster, has a more intense rush, and lets you down faster as well.

It's the last part of that question that I'm skeptical about.

When you have a higher high, an equal low would feel lower???

Espresso actually puts me to sleep. I used to do the "shot in a regular coffee" thing every once in a while, but I would almost always doze off before finishing the drink. I love a nice latte or cappuchino, but I can't have one unless I am ready to take a nap/go to sleep. Body chemistry is weird! But, yeah, I think what Murdock says is likely a more common experience.

I used to be the biggest caffeine fiend in the world if I went more than a day without it I would start getting headaches and feeling nauseous. Then I went down to Florida for a week and refused to drink caffeine. When the withdrawl started to creep in I got incredibly drunk. The next day was the worst hangover of my life with the withdrawal at the same time. The day after that though I felt like a million bucks and went 6 months without caffeine. Then a friend offered me some Tea and I completely broke back down to my oldways. Lately though I have given up pop and energy drinks almost entirely and now I consume only unsweetened iced tea.

Jameson and Pepsi Max (sort-of like diet pepsi but not... I hear it's not sold in the US) is actually really nice. Something about the intensely fake sugar taste of Pepsi Max that makes it work so well.

Back