QUIT SCHOOL AND START A BUSINESS?

Ya, ya, I know what your thinking, “this guy is crazy.” Learning is awesome, but with so much information online, seminars, and in books these days I say save the 60K, and build up your finances. Why a business, say you filmmakers? If you want to make your own films, being able to finance them HELPS. I always tell my students to get a college loan, and start a business. And business as in business venture, aka YOUR OWN FILM. Finance your own film with your student loan, and have a plan to make even more money back then your loan, so you can pay it back and get enough money for your next film. Kevin Smith did something similar to this with Clerks. Now that may seem funny, but entrepreneurs out there are begging the world to start their own business and investments; it’s the only way out of this economic melt down. The more folks that join this revolution, the better we are in the future. I just got back from a huge seminar in Las Vegas, and one of the speakers really hit me with something. She’s buying a bankrupt college, and converting it to a senior living center. Now isn’t that interesting.

Tip: Get a student loan start a corporation, and launch a business on your expertise (most likely your film or a production company). Attend seminars, online courses like learnfilmonline.com, and read books. Stay ahead of the curve, and stay educated outside of the public system. I’ll leave with this: most folks get their college degree, and stop learning thinking that piece of paper will get them through to retirement. Not always the case.

Directorik who are you to know what I have seen in my life? So it comes off pretty asshole like.
I did not claim to know what you have seen in your life. I'm sorry
that my post here has given you the impression that I was making
any comments about your life. My intent was only to voice my
opinion on your suggestion that students use student loan money
to start a business. Not to make any suggestions about you as a
person or on your life.

I apologize and I will temper any opinions I have in the future.

I've already witnessed people I know do this I don't really need to prove it. It's just a blog on my opinion. RELAX, do I really need to be bashed every time I post?

No you don't.

However, on a discussion board you will find that others feel free
to offer their opinion. If you don't want anyone to post if they
challenge your opinion then perhaps you have chosen the wrong
forum. I'm a little surprised that you feel those of us expressing
our honest, respectful opinion are bashing you.

No one here is asking you to "prove" anything. As a teacher you
know that challenges are a vital part of learning. Students who
ask questions are interested students. Students who challenge
their teachers are passionate students. None of us here are your
students but we all respect that you are a teacher of an on line
film school. Please don't look at this as bashing or demanding
that you prove something. We are fellow filmmakers, we are
curious, we sometimes don't feel exactly as you do. That is
healthy.

You have witnessed people do this. You could help us understand
your opinion by offering examples - not to prove anything, only to
help us understand.

Denny, if in the future you would rather I not express my opinion
on anything you post here, please just ask. I will respect your
request. But please do not think I am bashing you - even when I
challenge or disagree with you.

============================================
The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
Joseph Joubert, essayist (1754-1824)

directorik I've been around the block please give your opinion I was just stating my opinion. I just noticed on this forum folks do more bashing than give constructive criticism, I think it's great that you guys give advice or your opinion, but there are ways on doing this in a positive manner. Look I know I post things that get rants at times because it's not what normal society wants to hear. I'm on a mission to help shift the mindsets to help create more indy films in the big screen. So I'm here to help support indy films always have. You just have to jump outside of yourself and see how you come across at times. I can take it no worries there I'm good mind body spirit. But I believe in growth, and supporting people in a positive way. I love that you guys challenge me but to say something like No you don't. Directorik who are you to know what I have seen in my life? So it comes off pretty asshole like. So bring it on guys. Just understand I have built many businesses in my life.

Denny, he was answering you. "No, you don't" have to be bashed every time you post.

I don't mean to speak for directorik but I thought I would put this in context.

Just my tuppence.

I appreciate that you have lots of experience in the film business, but I also appreciate that the six or seven people who have contradicted you have experience in the same sort of business.

I think we've established that in both US and UK law taking out a student loan to start a company is unlawful, so you can't complain about that piece of advice being rejected.

But I think your whole argument is fundamentally flawed. Show me an 18 year old kid who has 60 grand to start up a business? Sure it might cost 60 grand to go through college but it tends to be parents, family or government grants who pay this money and none of these people are (on the whole) going to be overly keen to give that 60k to an unqualified 18 year old, rather than them going to college.

I just think you need to rethink what you're saying, that's the surest way to avoid a 'bashing'.

Your right about the laws. When you get a student loan it pays your tuition then you can get a living alowance. Don't take the 60 grand literal. I'm saying use some of the money to help fund some parts of your film to get the ball rolling then get investors tom jump on board. It's just a small option. But I do see your point of views, and there valid, but please try to see my side.

Back