• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Quickly, Go. - short film shot on 7D in Korea

Very good quote, and point.

I don't see how a film can "lack art"? It could lack meaning perhaps, or coherency or visual appeal (I'm not saying your film does, deepseaengine, just using some examples!) but films are art, in the same way paintings and books are. If I can paraphrase the dictionary for a moment, art is "the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination" and I don't see how this film fails to do that.

Of course everyone has different tastes and that's undoubtedly a good thing, but "lacking art" just seems a very peculiar and unquantifiable criticism.

i stand slightly corrected. in the sense that you described art, then yes it certainly is. i dont really consider myself to have a 'high brow' taste, but my taste is slightly different. a good film piece is something that i can take something from, an emotion, an idea, etc.

i agree, i didnt intend on this being a back and forth thing, i think that's annoying. so i'll just say again, nice work on your short.

Hello, everyone. I'm the co-director/writer of this little project, and I wanted to join in the conversation.

First though, what great feedback! Thanks so much everyone; it is seriously appreciated!

Last edited:
I know the 7D has issues with panning which forces some DPs to use a lot of static, tripod shots. Is it possible to add a bit of camera mocement in Post, by keyframing the whole shot?
It's what I'm planning on doing.

Hey, thanks very much for the comment!

It certainly is possible to do what you'd like to with the 7D, but if you're planning on uploading anything at Full HD, I'd not reccomend it. The largest the 7D records video is at 1920 x 1080 and so if you are planning on adding movement afterward, you'll need to blow the image up, and therefore you'll lose detail.

If you're planning on adding blur effects as well for things like camera shake, or planning on uploading to the net in lower resolution, then go for it, but otherwise I'd avoid that type of thing.

I think the ending, however, was lackluster...just like FISH FOOD. Actually the story wasn't even a story...it was a set piece to make a cool looking short using the 7D. More of a practice piece it seems.

Thanks for the comment! And you're quite right, the idea from the beginning was to show just a snippet of a much broader story. We weren't trying to tell a story here, only get people thinking about/interested in what the story might be.

i thought it could have been cut a little tighther, yet the ambiance picked straight back up again, so i wasn't too displeased.

Throughout the entire movie, I found myself noticing many similar shots that were absolutely beautiful, but that could be cut in half, duration-wise.

Hey, thanks for the encouraging words, and as deepseaengine has already mentioned, we've received this criticism a fair bit, and at this point I definitely agree. The intention behind the cut the way it was, was purely logical. The reason it takes him so long to run into the corner/car reflection shots, is because we were thinking about how long it would have taken the character to get from where he was in one shot, to where he is in the next.

I suppose sacrificing flow for logic is not always the best answer. Live and learn, right? :) Thanks for pointing it out!

Let me explain myself a bit more. Your character seemed comfortable and seemed to have knowledge of his surroundings. He was not a fish out of water. He stands at a bus stop waiting for a local bus (in Korea), He spoke and understood the language, He knew his way around in the subway, etc. I would say that he knew full well where the subway was and knew how to get there. With that said the shots which you folks captured and/or editing did not fit this. The way that it was shot and edited looked as if he was all over the place and confused, as if he was lost.

Thanks for taking the time to write out your opinion and pointers. The disorganization of this sequence was quite intentional. Since he is trying to shake someone from his tail, he is deliberately taking a convoluted route through the city.

I understand though, that because the story in its entirety is not at all obvious, this sequence may seem messy.

Last edited:
First off, to Paperwithproductions and M1chael, thanks very much! I certainly will be sharing the up-and-coming with the community. The honest feedback can't be beat! I'm currently working on another (very) short-film as I travel through India. Hoping it will be up at the end of the month.

Now, a few of you mentioned wanting to see what we'd do with this with a more developed story or if we had a bit of funding behind the project to expand it in some way. Well, it has been entered in OpenFilm.com's "Get It Made" contest.

If you'd like to know what we'd get up to with this project if we had the chance, then we'd really appreciate a vote from you. If you register and cast a five star vote, we may make it to the final stage in which our film would be reviewed and judged by a panel. A sum of money is awarded for the purposes of turning the winning short into a feature film.

The registration process I'm sure will deter some people from voting, which is why we're asking for your help/support!

Thanks again for everything!

Back