Quick and Easy fix for Jello

I haven't tried this method, but this tutorial looks legit. I imagine something like this could easily slip past many indie filmmakers cuz, I mean really, who the heck is using iMovie? Well, maybe this is a good reason to incorporate it into your editing process, at least until FCP and Premiere work this handy little built-in-tool into their next version.

http://philipbloom.net/2010/10/31/imovie11/

On a sidenote, does anybody know of any way to fix jello on a PC? Anything that can be done in AE?

I haven't tried this method, but this tutorial looks legit. I imagine something like this could easily slip past many indie filmmakers cuz, I mean really, who the heck is using iMovie? Well, maybe this is a good reason to incorporate it into your editing process, at least until FCP and Premiere work this handy little built-in-tool into their next version.

http://philipbloom.net/2010/10/31/imovie11/

On a sidenote, does anybody know of any way to fix jello on a PC? Anything that can be done in AE?

Be nice if we saw it in the next FCP update… there are a fair few features that started life in iPhoto and ended up in Aperture, so we can but hope.

There is a commercial AE/Nuke plugin from TheFoundry called "Rolling Shutter" which seems to work pretty well. Never used it myself though but heard rave reviews from folks who did.
If you are on a budget there is a free plugin called "deshaker" for Virtual Dub (also free) which besides stabilizing the footage has also a rolling shutter option. Works great but needs a lot of testing to get the settings right and complicates workflow.

Last edited:
I know this isn't a great help, but my brother said he recently went to a camera show, and they showcased a plug-in to get rid of the jello effect, and he said it was perfect.

It's only a matter of time until the jello effect is exterminated completely--either with firmware updates, hardware updates, or plug-ins.

To be quite honest, even now, I've never been distracted by the 'jello' effect. I think it's a problem that is being blown way out of proportion. Watch the last episode of House...you won't ever see it.

Yes, a portion of this is shooting style...but remember, throughout all cinema history, even with film, DPs have had to shoot around anomylies...every format has its quirks. You simply have to know your limitations and problems, and shoot with that in mind.

The thing to watch out for is that a simple rolling shutter fix will only deskew the entire frame -- if you have different things in your image moving in different directions and/or combined with camera movement then the simple deskewing filter will actually add skew to the other objects in the scene.

The only filter I know of that handles the full use case is the Rolling Shutter plug-in from The Foundry.

Keep in mind that iMovie compresses the snot out of your video. An AE plugin would probably be a much better choice.

Yeah, the article I posted mentioned this much. It's good to know that there are worthy fixes in AE. Right now, I don't need one, but maybe on my next shoot? Then again, maybe by then, M1chea1's prediction will have come true.

Back