Questions about my lens

I ordered a lens from ebay and it arrived before my camera. I ordered a Takumar 35mm 3.5. What came is a Super-Takumar 28mm f3.5. However, this is a mix up I do not mind. It also did not come with the case, hood, and lens cover it said it would in the description, so I will be contacting the seller. My real question is if the lens has a problem. All of the functions feel like they're working, but I cannot see the aperture at all. This is my first lens, so I may just be stupid, but should I be able to see the aperture. I have gone through the whole range (3.5 to 16) and cannot see any change in anything nor see the blades when I look into the lens. Should I be able to see them?

I cannot wait to test it on my camera because the return policy has an extremely short window of opportunity. I want to be able to tell him if I need to return the lens as well.

Thanks for helping (especially if I am just being dumb).

There's probably a little silver peg on the back of the lens. It needs to be pushed down to activate the aperture. On the older cameras that let you look through viewfinder to focus.

Two solutions, find an adapter that engages that. Or, cheaper, superglue it shut. That's what I did for my vintage lenses and it worked great.

I had the same WTF moment before haha. Good news though, your lens isn't broken :).

Thanks guys, it is the M42 mount, and pushing in the pin "fixed" it. I have noticed at least 6 black specks in the glass though (do not come of with pressurized air so they are likely inside) which means that while I was initially happy to see that the lens wasn't the one I ordered, I am not so happy anymore...plus there aren't any of the accessory. Here's to hoping a refund is in my future.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, it is the M42 mount, and pushing in the pin "fixed" it. I have noticed at least 6 black specks in the glass though (do not come of with pressurized air so they are likely inside) which means that while I was initially happy to see that the lens wasn't the one I ordered, I am not so happy anymore...plus there aren't any of the accessory. Here's to hoping a refund is in my future.

I'm not an expert on glass, but sometimes flaws and spots don't affect performance. Do some tests, see if you got a good deal, contact seller immediately. ebay is biased toward buyers, and most seller's care greatly about feedback ratings. I bought a 135mm 2.5 FD lens and had an issue, the seller quickly refunded half my money.

Old glass is always a risk. Best is find the most reputable sellers, you can tell them, tons of feedback and careful descriptions of lens flaws/wear. Avoid the "I found this in my Grandma's attic after she dropped dead from a stroke, and I'm sellin' it along with this ole coon dog of hers by the name of "Fidget" and blah blah..."

I'm not an expert on glass, but sometimes flaws and spots don't affect performance. Do some tests, see if you got a good deal, contact seller immediately. ebay is biased toward buyers, and most seller's care greatly about feedback ratings. I bought a 135mm 2.5 FD lens and had an issue, the seller quickly refunded half my money.

Old glass is always a risk. Best is find the most reputable sellers, you can tell them, tons of feedback and careful descriptions of lens flaws/wear. Avoid the "I found this in my Grandma's attic after she dropped dead from a stroke, and I'm sellin' it along with this ole coon dog of hers by the name of "Fidget" and blah blah..."

First off, the end there made me laugh. Back to the topic though. Unfortunately I bought the lens before the camera (I know this was probably stupid, but I had been watching the prices for a while, and it was a pretty good deal), so I cannot test it yet. I have already contacted the seller, and since he has 100% feedback up to this point, I am anticipating good results. Thanks for the advice!

It almost sounds like a mix up. I have the 35 3.5 myself, wish I had the 28, but haven't found the right deal on one yet.

Take photos or shoot footage with it, that's the ultimate test. Either you'll see the dust, fungus, etc... in the lens or you won't. Generally it just adds a little softness.

I hope you didn't pay more than 25 or 30 bucks because without caps and with some dust that's about all it's worth.

Back