questions about film festivals

Ok so i am just beginging in this business. And i have two really great movies i am wanting to shoot. First off how can i benifit from the film fesitivals and how do i get my movies over to them. I have two really great horror movies i am going to shoot. Second does anyone know of a really great camcorder i can use. I dont want to spend anything over 1500 to 2000 dollars so anything under those would be great. I need something that is HD. Maybe one that has Night vision.

In the U.K there's a directory http://www.britfilms.com/festivals/
Within here there are specific festivals for horror and fantasy. I'm sure you must have the same there. Some are cheap to enter so apply to as many as you can afford. The benefits?? These are great places to get noticed but more so they are great places to network. You don't have much money for a camera but maybe consider a DSLR which can produce fantastic results.

Ok so i am just beginging in this business. And i have two really great movies i am wanting to shoot. First off how can i benifit from the film fesitivals and how do i get my movies over to them.
You get your movies over to a film festival by paying the
submission fee and entering. Check withoutabox.com for
thousands of festival listings.

The way most people benefit from a festival screening is
they can say their film played at one. You can put those
"laurels" on your poster saying you were an official selection
or that you won something. Of course you have read about
a movie being picked up by a distributor, released in the
theaters and making millions. That can happen, too. Maybe
it will happen to you.

Before you make your two really great movies you should
attend several film festivals. Most people making movies for
feativals never even go see movies in a festival. Go! See what
your fellow filmmakers are making.

Second does anyone know of a really great camcorder i can use. I dont want to spend anything over 1500 to 2000 dollars so anything under those would be great. I need something that is HD. Maybe one that has Night vision.

Check the Canon HF G10, the Sony HXR-MC50U, the Panasonic
AG-HMC40. A little out of your range at $2,500 is the JVC GY-HM100.
It's the camera I own and it's a great camera.

Most here will suggest a DSLR like the Canon EOS Rebel T2i. Very
much in your price range. I'm not a fan, but I'm alone here on on
the boards regarding that.

I know nothing about night vision cameras. I have never used it.
Check out the Bell & Howell DNV900HD - it's the only one I could
find in your price range.

I think you might be better off creating the night-vision effect in post-production. Shoot your footage normally and color it in post with that green hue that indicates night vision.

I think my Canon HFS100 has a night-vision mode but I've never used it.

And you should also be thinking about sound from the very beginning; set aside some funds so I don't have to answer the obligatory "I spent all my money on a camera; how do I get great sound for 37ยข" question again. BTW, bad sound kills more festival submissions than any other technical reason.

"Sound is half of the experience."

You may want to check out my blog:

http://www.myspace.com/alcoveaudio/blog

I suggest the Canon XA10. It's an upgraded version from the HF G10 Directorik mentioned. Its $2k, but it comes with an infrared mode for shooting with little to no light. And even without the infrared mode, its supposed to perform well in low-light conditions (according to slash cam).

Back