Question Rolling Shutter 600D and other problems...

Ok

I want to buy a new Camera for a project I am working on....I dont know much about the new generation SLR,s. The 600D looks like a intresting option......but there are some things that make me hesitate.

Problem one: Rolling Shutter. So this is somting I dont understand......If jou move joure camera, joure image wil be vertical deformed. are there ways to prevent this? Also If a fast moving object moves Horenzontely over the schreen, wil it be vertical deformd to?

Also If I wil use a dolly, wil this reduce this problem?

Problem two: The max HD resolution of the 600D is 1080P......I read Somewhere that a motion picture is made with a 2048P resolution......is this so? How did the movie black swan 5D(also 1080P) come to teaters? I know its a difrent camera but it should be close to the 600D

I hope some one can help me with this, becouse al the foto shops in Maastricht are run by Noobs that can not help me....

Rolling shutter is a problem with ANY DSLR, and the GH2 too. Its due to the lack of GLOBAL shutter on these large sensor cams. You'll have to learn to deal with it. There are also plugins that can unroll it with in reason.

Anything that stabilizes the footage will reduce the effect, but even a perfectly smooth pan will show it if you pan a bit too fast. An image of an object moving across the sensor is moving across the sensor regardless if its the camera that moving or the object.

The difference is that in a locked down shot, ONLY THE MOVING things are potentially affected, the rest of the background\foreground is not. Think of panning across a bunch of tall trees. Do this fast enough and all the trees will lean back a bit. However, if you are looking at a bunch of tall trees and only a girl runs by, it wont looks like the shutter is rolling.. Its the tall vertical lines that really brings it out.

All the DSLR's max at 1080p for VIDEO. Of course you can shoot stills at much higher res.

Higher resolutions start coming in with the pro cameras, like RED etc.

I cant speak to Black Swan, dont know about it.

1080p means the image is 1920 wide and 1080 high.
2048p is mostly referred to as 2K and means the image is 2048 pixels wide.
I know, it's really confusing: cinema uses horizontal resolution (width), video uses vertical resolution (height) to tell what size it is.
2K has almost the same resolution as 1080p.

Btw, a quick search tells me Black Swan was shot on Arri (16mm) and DSLRs (7D 1D for subway scenes) and that only rehearsels where shot on 5D to check out what works or not.
http://www.eoshd.com/content/482/darren-aronofsky-new-film-black-swan-shot-on-7d-1d-mk-iv-and-16mm

Also, as I have seen quoted, according to the ASC manual it's supposed to take a minimum of 5 seconds for an object to totally traverse the frame. Now this isn't gospel, but, in general, to avoid rolling shutter you just don't pan so fast. Slower pans are more "traditional" anyway.

You've really gotta whip the shit out of it to create any noticeable jello, and it's pretty much only filmmakers who notice it. It goes right over the heads of "regular" viewers.

I'd say moire is the much bigger (and more noticeable) problem.

I shot an action scene with the canon T2i, with actors moving fast, and I noticed no jello. I have noticed it more with slow motion, and higher fps speeds, but at regular 24 fps, I don't notice it.

Also, as I have seen quoted, according to the ASC manual it's supposed to take a minimum of 5 seconds for an object to totally traverse the frame. Now this isn't gospel, but, in general, to avoid rolling shutter you just don't pan so fast. Slower pans are more "traditional" anyway.

Tats good to hear...thx

You've really gotta whip the shit out of it to create any noticeable jello, and it's pretty much only filmmakers who notice it. It goes right over the heads of "regular" viewers.

I'd say moire is the much bigger (and more noticeable) problem.

I wil look out for smal paterns in fabrich....good to know.

I shot an action scene with the canon T2i, with actors moving fast, and I noticed no jello. I have noticed it more with slow motion, and higher fps speeds, but at regular 24 fps, I don't notice it.

I will keep it in mind THX

Last edited by a moderator:
Back