• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question regarding some post production elements

Hey there Indietalkers... its me again.

This time, I have no clue about anything here.

I am wondering how I can add elements, like helicopters, jets and even masses of parachuters (like in Band of Brothers) into my movie.

I am asking because I want to shoot a WWII feature in summer and before i hire someone to do it, I thought id try it myself.

So, what programms do I need and what is the process?

Phil

Well, it's not something that can be done well Unless you really know the software, and compositing software isn't just something you pick up.

Unless you're using stock footage, you'll need to model and animate the planes and what not. I can't help you here.

As far as compositing, I like After Effects. Most big VFX houses use Shake or nuke, but they come with a much bigger price tag. Again, all of these have a learning curve.

If you really want to do this yourself (if you're asking what programs to use it sounds like you're pretty inexperienced) then get a copy of AFX ND go through ALL of the video copilot tutorials, starting with the 10 hours of basics and then move onto the techniques (100 or so, each 20-45 minutes without pausing to try it yourself) to get a good idea of what you'll need.

Hey, thanks chilipie, i saw that one. Its amazing.

Paul, I have after effects and premiere, but I am mainly wondering about the models themselves. Ill have a look at all of the video copilots over the next days, when I have finally set up the editing machine just right.

Ill see if i can learn something,

Thanks a bunch,

Phil

Back