Question for those who know cameras.

Hi everyone.

I own a Canon 5D Mk II.

I'm thinking of selling it, and using the money towards a Canon 7D setup.

Here's why:
-I have no lens (I am lucky enough to have a photographer girlfriend who is so kind as to loan me hers)
if I do this, I could use left over money for a lens or 2
-60fps (there have been times where I had wished for this function)
-I would be able to use left over money for more gear (follow focus, matte box, etc.)

Do you think that this would be a good idea? Don't get me wrong the 5D is an amazing camera, but I feel like I can justify this trade off without loosing too much quality? Opinions?

It's a good idea, if you can get a good price for your 5D and find a used 7D at a good (low) price.

The most you'll notice is the difference in DOF at any given focal length, and how wide you deal with it.

It's a good idea, if you can get a good price for your 5D and find a used 7D at a good (low) price.

The most you'll notice is the difference in DOF at any given focal length, and how wide you deal with it.

Right, I was thinking that and the crop factor would be the main differences I would notice. I'm hoping to get $1800-2000 for my 5D and I have been seeing some 7Ds on Craigslist for $1000-1300. Given those estimates that leaves me $500-1000 for other gear (I would go for a lens/follow focus first)

Right, I was thinking that and the crop factor would be the main differences I would notice. I'm hoping to get $1800-2000 for my 5D and I have been seeing some 7Ds on Craigslist for $1000-1300. Given those estimates that leaves me $500-1000 for other gear (I would go for a lens/follow focus first)

I sold my 5D with 3 16gb cards, 2 batteries, a kit lens and an extra 80-200/4 for like 2700

Body only right now, especially with an impending MKIII announcement on Friday, is probably 1500 or so.

Sell fast.

Unless you are also a photographer, I don't see any reason to go with the 7D, over the T2i, T3i, or 60D. Without getting into nitty-gritty details, the 7D is more dual-purpose, for people who are serious about both photography and video. If you'll be using it strictly for video, all of the aforementioned cameras are practically identical.

For what it's worth, I have a friend who often brought his 7D to the set of my first feature film. We used both his camera and my T2i. I can't tell you how many times he lamented spending the extra money on a camera that produces basically the same results.

Note: The one significant difference between the 7D and the others is that you can feed it to an external HD monitor. The others will only record and monitor in SD. So, there is that. Otherwise, they're basically the same.

I think you have valid reasons which makes it a good idea for what you need right now.

And from reading the above posts, it looks like you know the advantages/disadvantages of 5d vs 7d vs t2i vs 60d.

The difference between SD and HD in a 5"-7" is monitor is minimal really... If you were monitoring on 17"+ widescreen HD displays then I'd say sure go for the HD out but really, it's a non-issue (I prefer using an EVF anyway).
As well, the 7D is not geared as more of a dual-purpose. All these cameras are geared towards photography and video is added as an extra. The 7D is an improvement over the 60D if you are taking a lot of sports photography and need a high shutter recycle time (IIRC, the 7D takes shots at like 3fps). The 60D and T2i/T3i will give you equal quality stills and videos, so to choose the 7D over a 60D because you also want to take stills is folly as the 60D will perform just as well.

I sold my 5D with 3 16gb cards, 2 batteries, a kit lens and an extra 80-200/4 for like 2700

Body only right now, especially with an impending MKIII announcement on Friday, is probably 1500 or so.

Sell fast.

Oh, Kholi, don't tease me like that. You think used 5DII's will come down that low shortly?

Personally I'd keep the 5d and save for the lens and follow focus. Maybe the gear I look at is a little more expensive, but the follow focus I'm in the market for is just shy of $800, and the least expensive lens on my B&H shopping list is $900, and they go up from there. I'm not sure what your looking for, but I can't see selling your 5d, and getting a 7d plus quality gear, all from what you'll sell the 5d for. I think you'll be in the same boat you are now. You'll have a 7d, and maybe a few bucks left over for another piece of gear, and be left saving for other pieces. Where now, you have a great full frame camera, that most people still love.

Personally I'd keep the 5d and save for the lens and follow focus. Maybe the gear I look at is a little more expensive, but the follow focus I'm in the market for is just shy of $800, and the least expensive lens on my B&H shopping list is $900, and they go up from there. I'm not sure what your looking for, but I can't see selling your 5d, and getting a 7d plus quality gear, all from what you'll sell the 5d for. I think you'll be in the same boat you are now. You'll have a 7d, and maybe a few bucks left over for another piece of gear, and be left saving for other pieces. Where now, you have a great full frame camera, that most people still love.

I planned on getting a vintage lens for around $80-150 with an adapter. I have seen follow focus and shoulder rig deals for $300.

That's about $500.

So if I sell for at least $1800 I should be able to do that.

Full frame is great for photography, and the no crop factor is pretty interesting but like I mentioned, not having 60fps has been inconvenient for me.

As far as 60D vs. 7D

The shutter burst on the 7D blows the 60D out of the water (still photography). I am interested in still photography as well. I can see instances where the swivel screen could help... but its not a huge deal for me, as mentioned I would rather have a monitor. And I can see a definite difference from SD to HD monitors...

This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't let go of that full frame... I miss it so much lol. You lose so much with the compression and re-compression of theses DSLR's. Changing from the VistaVision 8/35 frame to whats in the 7d is a big downgrade. While the image isn't a huge let down when looking at it on the web, you are giving away a lot of information with anything bigger. This takes away a lot of latitude and range in regards to video lighting.

**MY personal enjoyment is cheap old, fast, lenses. I seek them out like water in a dessert, but they have there issues. You need a basic knowledge of color grading in order to have any ability to match them afterwards, which to some is a huge headache.**

If it's gear that is getting you down I say invest in the made to order "DIY" market products. Research and patience is a must here. Thus concludes my rant

Here are some of the options that I always seek out when searching gear.
follow focus- 50 or 100 bucks is not too shabby
http://cheesycam.com/filmcity-follow-focus-x1/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2120229387/50-dollar-follow-focus?ref=live

My favorite so far is this one below-
shoulder rig- for 150
http://opteka.com/cxs300.aspx

As for lenses this is so far my baby...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vivitar-Series-1-35-85mm-Zoom-Lens-Nikon-mount-/260967644521?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3cc2e23d69

This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't let go of that full frame... I miss it so much lol. You lose so much with the compression and re-compression of theses DSLR's. Changing from the VistaVision 8/35 frame to whats in the 7d is a big downgrade. While the image isn't a huge let down when looking at it on the web, you are giving away a lot of information with anything bigger. This takes away a lot of latitude and range in regards to video lighting.

**MY personal enjoyment is cheap old, fast, lenses. I seek them out like water in a dessert, but they have there issues. You need a basic knowledge of color grading in order to have any ability to match them afterwards, which to some is a huge headache.**

If it's gear that is getting you down I say invest in the made to order "DIY" market products. Research and patience is a must here. Thus concludes my rant

Here are some of the options that I always seek out when searching gear.
follow focus- 50 or 100 bucks is not too shabby
http://cheesycam.com/filmcity-follow-focus-x1/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2120229387/50-dollar-follow-focus?ref=live

My favorite so far is this one below-
shoulder rig- for 150
http://opteka.com/cxs300.aspx

As for lenses this is so far my baby...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vivitar-Series-1-35-85mm-Zoom-Lens-Nikon-mount-/260967644521?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3cc2e23d69

I totally understand I'm loosing some information intake. I do someday want to get a camera such as the Panasonic AF-100. But for now I feel the 7D will give me what I'm looking for in a camera within my budget. Thanks for those links, I will be taking a look at these.

Most of that information is clobbered in the compression process. It's pretty obvious when you own both and use both that the only advantage the 5D has is a larger sensor (real estate), which is great for tight rooms and spaces.

The 7D outperforms 5D by a hair in every other area of usable video footage.

It comes down to what you can spend and what youwant out of the two: larger sensor or 60P, monitoring, slightly better IQ (dual digic processors), so on and so forth.

The biggest thing is to get rid of it fast. Tomorrow's supposed to be the MKIII announcement and even if the upgrades are pretty blagh, people will use that against you to drive the price down.

I have someone who is willing to pay $1,800 (which is what I paid). He said he would need some time to round up cash. I still have it in the market though! Hoping to get this all done soon! Thanks for your input everyone.

Hope you enjoy the trade! If I had an extra 700 bucks I would probably snag a Small HD DP4 + EVF for $749...you can easily DIY a shoulder rig or a gun stock rig for wicked cheap.... Lets us know how the 7d fits for you.

Back