• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

question for those who have gotten/ do pro post audio work

could anyone here give me an estimate (however rough or wide) it would cost to get dialogue-editing/a very basic mix done by a post audio-professional for a feature project, outside of an industry area such as LA or NY?

I know that this is highly variable and individual to a given project and a given professional, but I'm having a really hard time getting any pricing estimates from anyone in my area. Understandably, the people I have talked to have wanted to have in-depth consultations before giving me any numbers... BUt, I very likely will not be able to actually afford professional audio post as I'm on an uber micro budget, and I really don't want to waste people's time (/pay for consultations that probably won't pan out.)

Basically, I need some kind of number to pitch to a potential investor and I'm having a hard time coming up with anything. Again, I understand that it's uber variable and probably a very wide range, but could anyone here give me any numbers to work with?

Thanks in advance!!

a very basic mix done by a post audio-professional for a feature project

Why not do the basic mix (to the best of your ability) and then have a pro tighten it up? That's what I do, 'cos I suck at sound. :)

1) Mix it the best you can

2) Place Craigslist ad, stating upfront what you are paying

3) Pick the best person who responds - and there will be lots of 'em. :cool:

For real numbers, the last thing I did... I offered $500 (that was mixing about 10 layers of audio, and adding some foley FX), and had close to 100 contacts within a day. My friends were doing something similar and paid absolutely nothing ('cos they are cheap bastards). They also got takers to mix their sound, just for copy/credit.

outside of an industry area such as LA or NY?

If you can access the internet (or a post-office), it doesn't matter where you are. Audio files are pretty darn small, even uncompressed. Of all the projects I've had mixed, I've only been to one audio-guy's physical studio. Everything else has been either mailed on a DVD or emailed/FTP'd.

If you go the Craigslist route, you can post the ads in LA or NY categories - probably a good idea, 'cos that way more people will read the actual ads.

Just be upfront about how much you are paying. That way those who aren't interested in that amount will not waste their time, and your replies will be selectively filtering themselves and be comfortable working with whatever you offered.

Good luck. :)

^What he said :)

I couldn't give a quote, cause it could be free to a couple grand, and I'm no sound mixer. I've been in luck and my location Sound Mixer who works at a post studio has done it for free.

That's great advice zensteve, thanks!!

CDCosta, that's awesome that you have someone who's with you the whole sound process! I'm really hoping that I'll be able to do something similar a project or two down the line! :)

I'll second that. Exactly what zensteve says! I'm actually here to snoop around and find such work - paid or unpaid - simply to get some practice and make sure I dont forget all the skills and techniques I've learned over the years.

I would add one thing on steves 'to do' first list, which is patronisingly obvious but still something I've witnessed being overlooked on more than one occasion.

Backup every single peice of audio that you have used. That means everything. And if you edit or process any of the sounds in your own basic mix, keep copies of the original unprocessed files.

You will make your soundguys life a lot easier.

Back