Question about partner companies

Hey everybody,

Here I am again seeking more advice (surprising...I know but what can I say I'm a lil addicted to knowledge :)) The situation is as follows; you have started a prodco and you know someone else who has started a film company and you want to partner together...if you two work on a project together, let's say a music video, how do you decide what company name(s) to put on the video?

Yours truly,

Triple Threat

I often see movies with multiple prodcos listed, you know... A Film by Joe, Produced by BlahBlah Studios, In Association with BlikBlik Pictures, etc. Goodness, watch "Ghost Whisperer" some Friday evening, I have never seen so many producers listed for any show in my life, insane.

I can't see why both prodcos can't be listed in the titles/credits. Flip a coin maybe for who gets listed first? Buy I am talking out of my arse, so maybe others can chime in here more experienced.

Hey everybody, Here I am again seeking more advice (surprising...I know but what can I say I'm a lil addicted to knowledge :)) The situation is as follows; you have started a prodco and you know someone else who has started a film company and you want to partner together...if you two work on a project together, let's say a music video, how do you decide what company name(s) to put on the video?

Don't flip a coin... if you initiated the project, make sure yours comes first, and then the other "in association with"... You wanna be careful with "partnerships" because in the (unlikely, yet possible) event that there is a dispute over ownership down the line, the partner might be able to stop you from owning/selling/finishing your film.

It sounds like you've got a prod.co of one, and the other prod.co is also an army of one... If you're initiating the project, I'd suggest just "hiring" the other guy as a role (director/producer/editor/DoP, etc) on the crew, instead of combining prod/cos... just to stay on the safe side. If he insists on having his prod.co listed, go for it, but either a) talk to an entertainment lawyer OR b) be prepared for trouble if the other party decides at any point that he wants out, and he's taking the credit with him!

Hey Spatula

Hey Spatula,

Thanks so much for the wonderful advice! I indeed am going to just hire them as a director of photography and leave it at that. Also if they want their company name on it, I will contact an entertainment lawyer first to explore my legal options!

Thanks so much,

Triple Threat

I am finding that there sometimes isn't enough information to give an answer to some questions posed.

If you want to partner with someone, and you have a company and they have a company:

Is it an established company or just you and just them? Meaning maybe 2 people but less than 6 people.

Technically, I am a production company. I am also the only production person :) If I want to work with someone, I can do that no problem. You can always just come up with a name to represent the both of you....

-- spinner :cool:

Is it really necessary to involve an expensive lawyer in this?

Do you and the DP have a disagreement that can't be talked out?

If you are partners then both company names can appear in the
credits. If the DP is an employee only then his companies name
doesn't belong on the credits. If the DP is working for well under
his regular rate in exchange for his company name on the credits,
that seems fair.

My two questions:

1 - you say you are hiring "them" as a DP. Does that mean you are
hiring more than one person?
2 - Are both your companies actual, legal business?

Hey Directorik

Hey Directorik,

To answer your question...yes I will be hiring a camera crew of more than one person and yes both business are legal business, one production company just starting and the other is a film company that has been doing business for about a year now. The reason we are working together is I like their quality of work and they are doing the shooting/editing while I will write/direct.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Back