• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about exporting from Premiere Pro.

When I export video, it asks what 'level' I want. Levels going all the way from 1.0 to 5.1. It also asks which profile I want from baseline, to main to high. Does anyone know what these mean? I am handing off the work to someone else, more professional to finish. So I need to render the best quality. Which of these would give me the best quality? I was looking online, but kept finding mixed opinions. I shot at 1080p H.264, as far as video is concerned, so what settings of those two, would be the best?

Thanks!

actually not all of the footage is on one disk. It's spread across too harddisks, but they have always been in the same place, and have not moved. Is that a problem if it's on two separate ones?

Last edited:
Okay thanks, I think I will send it by snailmail, if he does not the equipment to download it.......

??
If he doesn't have the equipment?

Internet + downloading free and simple software = the bloody equipment that's needed.
But it will probably take to long because of your own upload speed.

So, yes send it by snailmail.

actually not all of the footage is on one disk. It's spread across too harddisks, but they have always been in the same place, and have not moved. Is that a problem if it's on two separate ones?

There you have it.

That's stupid.
External harddisks get assigned a letter like D:\ or M:\ (to create a path) when you connect them to your computer.
These letters are automaticly assigned, depending on the number of connected devices (USB sticks also get a letter).
Unless you gave them both a fixed letter, the path from the project file to the files on the other disk can change all the time. That causes your reconnect media problem.

If I move all of the original footage to another hard drive to mail to the colorist, wouldn't he have to remind the program where every clip is, since it has all been moved anyway?

Not if you move it all to one disk first.
Do this one on of your own disks! (So you don't have to remind your project either)
Make new EDLs.

Copy this new project folder with everything in it to the harddisk you'll send.

Okay thanks! I already made the EDLs though. Why do I have to make new ones? Couldn't I just copy the ones I already made onto a harddisk, with the original footage, and it will find it all then? If I made new ones, I would still do the same thing, and move them onto a new harddisk, with the footage, so what's the difference?

And no, both harddisks I was using, do not have the same letter. Thanks for all the info, it's helping :).

Last edited:
Okay thanks! I already made the EDLs though. Why do I have to make new ones? Couldn't I just copy the ones I already made onto a harddisk, with the original footage, and it will find it all then? If I made new ones, I would still do the same thing, and move them onto a new harddisk, with the footage, so what's the difference?

And no, both harddisks I was using, do not have the same letter.

It's not helping enough, since you don't understand basic filestructures on a computer.

Harddisks can not have the same letter. (Except for exotic exceptions with spanned volumes or something like that, but that's something we'll ignore here.)
I meant unless harddisk 1 always uses the same letter when connected and unless harddisk 2 always uses the same letter (but a different one than harddisk 1) when it's connected, you will have to reconnect media now and then.
Because 1 and 2 can switch letters when you connect them in a different order.
Unless you assigned a fixed letter to both of them that's in the far end of the alphabet, like 1 = X and 2 = Y Always.
Then they can't mix up.

You will need to make new EDLs because you changed the addresses of the files.

It's like bombing a city to rubble, rebuilding it in a different way with a different floor plan and then expecting the Pre-bombing map to be accurate.

An EDL is a map telling the computer where the files are from the EDL's position.
Some after changing the positions the EDL is incorrect.

STOP BEING STUBBORN

Just follow the steps and see that it makes live easier.

Last edited:
Okay thanks I don't mean to be stubborn, it's just it didn't seem to work. I just finished trying it and here's what happened. I made new EDLs of each video track, and I assigned the program to render them to an external harddisk, which I will use for shipping to him.

Before I did this I had already put all the original video files on it. But the media is still offline in the EDLs even though everything has been moved to the same harddisk. What did I do wrong?

I thought I was told to export at H.264.

You should really let the drugs wear off before coming to these forums. There is no way any reasonable intelligent person would ever mis-understand "Don't export those files you idiot use the originals" to "Exporting these files is the best method".

What am I doing wrong?

I'm seriously thinking you need to lay off the drugs.

if he has constantly re-link the media, everytime the program forgets where an original video file is, it will just take longer.

It would, though if they are using a program designed for color grading, it'll have quick functions to deal with this. If you've sent it to a h44 clone, you're screwed.

Is that a problem if it's on two separate ones?

Tell me this is the start to a joke.

wouldn't he have to remind the program where every clip is, since it has all been moved anyway?

He wouldn't have to remind anything. That's the assistant editors job to ensure a reasonable file structure has been used that ensures the workflow can be used.

That's stupid.

You're insane. You expected better? Remember the definition of insane. "Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different outcome."

Okay well I moved the new EDLs to hardisk for snailmail shipping. I also moved all the original video files on there. However, if I open the EDL files, everything is offline, and it has to be reminded of everything. So how do I put the new EDLs, and the original footage all on a harddisk correctly? All the original files were all in their original folders, and subfolders when moving them, I did not change anything. I took the original overall folder, and moved it over, but they are all in copies of the same folders, and the EDL still doesn't know where it is.

I sincerely am trying my best to understand all but there are always little technicalities here and there that I miss or do not know about, and that's what's preventing me from doing things properly.

Last edited:
So how do I put the new EDLs, and the original footage all on a harddisk correctly?

Copy & Paste. Keep the same, well structured file structure.

I sincerely am trying my best to understand all but there are always little technicalities here and there that I miss or do not know about, and that's what's preventing me from doing things properly.

You may be trying your best, though it's really not good enough. This is the kind of thing 10 year olds have a greater grasp than you. I shudder the thought that you may be a representative of the future of filmmaking. The reason you're having issues has more to do with you being pigheaded, determined to outshine Frank Spencer, doing whatever you want, as opposed to following instructions you've been given multiple times. You may think you know better. You really don't. If you ask questions, you need to show common decency and listen. No one enjoys beating you with a stick to drum simple, no-brainer subjects into you.

Okay it finally worked. I tried it a few times and it worked. I sent the hard drive to the colorist. It worked for him and he started on it for the last two days. However, now all the footage in the EDL is 'offline', and he is having trouble getting the EDL to remember it. It worked for him for two days, but now it's back to offline. Is their anything he can do to get it remember, or any way to figure out what the problem is most likely?

Seriously?

Did he think about the number of exteral devices and the order they are connected: in other words: is the file path still the same?
Or is it a crappy HD with failing power?

If he can't figure it out while its right under his noose, how can we?

[eat]Popcorn[/eat]

Walter, you cannot figure out that he's talking about himself in the third person? There's no way someone else that is capable of color grading is also this useless.

Which means something changed on the third day and only (s)he can know that.

About the number of external devices: THINK!

Without a fixed letter assigned (in the second half of the alfabet) to an external drive, letters will be given in order of availability.
C Drive taken?
Next device = D

C, D, E, F ,G ,H , I taken?
Next device = J

Connected the HD the first 2 days while an USB stick was connected? It got letter #
Connected on the 3rd day without the USB stick already connected? It got letter #-1
Connected on the 3rd day with an extra HD already connected? It got letter #+1

Unless it got an assigned letter that high enough to be not used by random connected devices.

You are a master of stumbling over microdetails, but you never noticed how your PC works?

Good luck!

In Dutch there's a saying: 'soort zoekt soort'.
Your colorist seems a perfect fit for you...

Well I tested the harddrive before I sent it to her. It read as letter E, and I plugged into it two plug ins of my computer, but it read as E both times. So maybe that's not is the issue then. However, my computer is a PC and his is a mac, but he was able to use it for two days before even though it was a mac. Could this be the issue?

Last edited:
Back