• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about exporting from Premiere Pro.

When I export video, it asks what 'level' I want. Levels going all the way from 1.0 to 5.1. It also asks which profile I want from baseline, to main to high. Does anyone know what these mean? I am handing off the work to someone else, more professional to finish. So I need to render the best quality. Which of these would give me the best quality? I was looking online, but kept finding mixed opinions. I shot at 1080p H.264, as far as video is concerned, so what settings of those two, would be the best?

Thanks!

You're handing off to someone else to finish.. move all the footage, the premiere project file, and an exported XML and EDL to an external drive, and hand it to them. Don't render.

This feels like the 5th or 6th time you have asked basically this same kind of question, and yet.. you seem to learn nothing regardless of the information you're provided. I really don't understand why this is so difficult for you to wrap your head around, it's not rocket science.

The EDL files are not working though. Nothing is there when he opens them.. That's what happened before so I thought I would try this method. I was told on here to then send the movie and have the guy separate the clips himself.

Last edited:
Does he have all the original files together with the EDL?
Since the EDL just says the software where to look.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edit_decision_list

Is your video edit on one track?
Did you select an empty track before making the EDL?

About your question:
Not enough data to compute!
What codec are you trying to export to?
(Since every codec has different parameters showing in the export menu.)

Last edited:
No I did not give her all the original files? Do I have to for the EDL to work?

My video is on three tracks, and I made three EDLs, therefore. What do you mean by selecting an emptry track before making it? I selected the track that the video was on, cause I thought it was going to use take the video from that track.

I am trying to export to H.264, since I use the Canon T2i and that records at H.264. However, I do not know what settings to use when it comes to 'profiles and 'level's, which it asks before exporting.

What is the size of your EDL? How much kb/Mb/Gb?

About the selecting empty track: I asked just in case you actually made an empty EDL :P
That's called doing a checklist of errors that could have been made.

(Like:
my computer won't start. Why?
Do you have power at all?
Is the computer connected to power at all?
Is the monitor on?
Do I press the right button?)

Last edited:
I tried exporting to uncompressed microsoft AVI, but doing that causes the movie to over 400 GB long, and no site like dropbox or any other site, will allow that much video to be sent. I talked about that on here before, and I was told to export to H.264, cause that's what my camera shot it on originally.

The EDL files altogether are 51 KB. I tried checking of course, to see if the EDL turned out alright. I always check my renderings. However, everytime I make the EDL my computer will not open it, but since he specializes in EDLs, I thought he had the software to open it likely. I thought it was suspicious that its was in KB only, but I thought I would still send it to him to see, plus I haven't been able to figure out what the problem is. When I import it into Premiere Pro, the video reads, "media offline". I chose the track that has the video on it, so what could it be?

Last edited:

Quote from Google:
"An edit decision list or EDL used in the post-production process of film editing and video editing. The list contains an ordered list of reel and timecode data representing where each video clip can be obtained in order to conform the final cut."

EDL is essentially a text file that links to media files. An EDL doesn't use a codec. By failing to include the media files, you're failing to show a basic understanding of color grading/editing workflow.

You asked a lot of questions and failed to answer the most basic questions on the other thread needed to help you get out of this hole you've dug for yourself. Now you need to go back to that other thread and follow my instructions where you start about 6 foot back from your desk and leap forward.

You're handing off to someone else to finish.. move all the footage, the premiere project file, and an exported XML and EDL to an external drive, and hand it to them. Don't render.

This feels like the 5th or 6th time you have asked basically this same kind of question, and yet.. you seem to learn nothing regardless of the information you're provided. I really don't understand why this is so difficult for you to wrap your head around, it's not rocket science.

Again.... This h44. READ THIS. It's in plain and simple English.

I hope your color grader is charging you by the hour for all these screw ups. Some people only learn when they're taking a financial hit. I suspect in your case, you won't.

Okay I understand that now, thanks. So instead of using a site like dropbox, I would have to mail him a harddrive, with everything on it, cause no site, will take so much footage, if I have to send all the original footage, chopped up into different pieces.

Last edited:
Is their any site, like dropbox, but that can send much bigger sizes of footage

What have you shot on? How long are your takes? Why on earth do you have h.264 files that are larger than 10gb?

That will take a long time to chop up all the original footage

This is really hard not to swear, but.... you are an idiot. Scroll up and CAREFULLY read. Why on earth are you chopping up footage? Damn it kiddo, use your brain.

Okay I am an idiot what I missing? My original H.264 files are not larger than 10GB. It's just that there are several of them. We shot 3 hours of footage, and borrowed cuts from literally almost every take. So sending all those files via dropbox, would take unreasonable amount of time for the colorist.

What am I missing?

I tried exporting to uncompressed microsoft AVI, but doing that causes the movie to over 400 GB long, and no site like dropbox or any other site, will allow that much video to be sent. I talked about that on here before, and I was told to export to H.264, cause that's what my camera shot it on originally.
Nobody told you to EXPORT to H.264, but to use the H.264 files itself.
400GB can be transfered by harddisk or Bittorrent Sync. But that's silly, because you need to send the whole project.
So get a harddrive.
Check whether the colorist is using a mac or windows machine!!!!!!
Is it's a mac: Get MacDrive to format your disk for Mac. Copy your whole project plus EDL to it.
Send the harddisk to colorist.

Really,
you could have sent that harddisk to me (in The Netherlands), I could have graded it and sent it back in the time you have been wasting with not reading and not thinking.

The EDL files altogether are 51 KB.
Wow! Do you think that could ever contain any video?

When I import it into Premiere Pro, the video reads, "media offline". I chose the track that has the video on it, so what could it be?

Where did you put the EDL?
An EDL references to the original files.
References use a reference point.
("Where is the restroom?"
"Go that way. Second door on the right."
That's how it works: from a starting point. Not from everywhere. You can't start on a random location and go to the second door on the right to always find a restroom.)

This means the EDL has to be in the right folder of the project, so it points to the right files.

The fact that your colorist is surprised it doesn't work either tells me he has no clue about what he is doing, just like you...

Last edited:
Oh sorry, I thought I was told to export at H.264. Okay how do I get all the original footage over to him within a reasonable amount of time. 3 hours worth of footage, all needing to be sent online to him within a reasonable amount of time, in order for the EDL to work.

What am I doing wrong? Is their a better site I should be using other than dropbox? People can send whole movies though to film festivals to be downloaded, so what sites do you use for that? I haven't been able to find any that go over 10GB. I could send the harddrive, with the footage on it so he can work with EDL, but the thing is, if he has constantly re-link the media, everytime the program forgets where an original video file is, it will just take longer. I will ask him if he has Bittorrent Sync.

Last edited:
When the EDL is on the right location, don't move it around and it can not forget where the media files are.

Bittorrent Sync can be downloaded for free.
But you need fast uploadspeed. (And the colorist needs downloadspeed. However upload is often slower than download, so the bottleneck will always be uploadspeed.)
I just used it for the Community Project and my uploadspeed was only 100kb/s. 16GB took about 48 hours to transfer. No fun when in a rush...
But is was faster than mail to get the files across the Atlantic.

That why everyone is telling you to get a harddisk and send it by snailmail. Or drop it of yourself, because you'll probable forget to pack it in a shockproof, waterproof fashion.

Last edited:
Okay thanks, I think I will send it by snailmail, if he does not the equipment to download it. I have a question about linking media.

Some of the shots have had VFX put into them, and for some reason Premiere Pro, has trouble remembering where they are. Everytime I open the program I have remind it where all those shots are. It does this with the shots that have had VFX done to them only. So if I send an EDL to him, will always have to relink the VFX shots, everytime he opens it. Is their a way for the EDL to be reminded where they are, permanently? I don't think it forgets where it is, it just has trouble accepting the shots, cause they have been changed with the VFX work.

Back