Psuedonym

Hello does anyone on this site use a Psuedonym, I'm thinking about using one, becuase my name isa bit too common and wouldn't stand out on a pile of scripts.

My name is Ben Johnson, but I'm thinking of writing under the name Franklyn Hitchcock.

What do you think?

How do you go about using one? I have always been curious, as far as pay, copywriting, registering, etc. I think that if you did eventually "make it", it would be a nice convenience to be able to separate professional from personal lives.

I only use pseudonyms for extra credits because I get sick of seeing my name on everythting, and sometimes I do use it for projects I don't want my own name on.

I have used:

JOHN FROMES
JOANNE FROMES
PIOTR JOHANN ROSPUTIN

and they all have IMDB entries too...

I do. Sometimes I use Sister Coen.:)

How do you go about using one? I have always been curious, as far as pay, copywriting, registering, etc. I think that if you did eventually "make it", it would be a nice convenience to be able to separate professional from personal lives.

You just *use* it. If you are venturing into revenue areas, I believe it depends on what arrangements you make with your agents/distributers/etc (you still are liable to report income, of course). In the past, authors could remain anonymous with their pen names when considering payment. But be aware that using pseudonyms does not protect you from any formal legal actions against you.

Exactly, you just start doing it. Think of other artists, like rappers for example. You just do it, and if you want to cash checks under that name then you have to go about it legally and such but other than that nothing is stopping you.

Joel & Ethan Coen have used the pseudonym of RODERICK JAYNES when they edit their own movies for years. Even for NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, the credit and even the fake photo was used at the Oscars.... what if he won?

Thanks for the advice. I really like the sound of Franklyn Hitchcock.
it sounds really professional. And cool

I've never used one to sound cool, but I have
used on my entire career on the no budget
ditect-to-video crap I didn't want to end up on
my IMDb page. But if that's the name you
want to use for your career as a writer, then
go for it.

Rik, you mean Alan Smithee, or your own?

I have always been alittle hesitant to use a psuedonym, just because if I did make it big, I think my father would be alittle upset due to family pride. I often use the name "Pat Craven", much like sonnyboo, because seeing one name a million times in the credits can be alittle much and take away from other people who worked hard on a film. Cutting it down to like "B. Johnson" or throwing in a middle initial might work, but also be too Samuel L. Jackson for your liking. Just don't pick something like M. Night, please god.

Hitchcock is a good last name, but it might scream psuedonym alittle too much due to the association.

I am thinking of possible using "Patrick Mackenzie" from now on.

Back