Proper way to measure film duration

How do you determine how long your film is? I'm looking for the official industry standard practice. Do you start at the first production company logo, do you stop after the end credits? Do you round up or down to get to the even minute?

From watching a few hundred DVDs with the timer running, films begin when distributor logo begins rolling and end when credits stop.

I believe that would be a generally accepted film length.
However, I've not gone and compared that number to what IMDB has listed as duration.

You might wanna pull a few of your own DVDs, see what duration IMDB lists, then pop 'em in your player with the play time selected to verify.

The length of the movie is very important to exhibitors, who need to know how closely they can schedule showings. That suggests that the length should be an outside estimate, eg. from the first image or sound that shows up to the end of the post-credits scene (if any; if not, just the end of the credits). I'd be tempted to round up to the next minute for this reason (unless it was 1:50:07 or something, which I'd call 1:50).

Back