• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Projection Formats (Sundance)

Okay. So say I want to start learning about all things film/movies. I want to learn everything about editing, and sounds, as well as cameras. Here's something I was reading on Sundances Submission PDF:

30)**IF*MY*FILM*IS*ACCEPTED,*WHAT*PROJECTION*FORMATS*DO*YOU*ACCEPT?*
If*your*film*is*selected,*you*must*provide*either*a*film*print*in*16mm*or*35mm*format,*or*digital*video*in*
Sony*HDCAM*format.**These*are*the*ONLY*formats*we*accept.**For*35mm*film*prints,*we*screen*24fps*with*
an*aspect*ratio*of*1.37,*1.66,*1.85,*or*2.39/Scope.**We*accept*sound*formats*of*mono,*stereo,*Dolby*SR*and*
Dolby*SRD*(Dolby*Digital).**For*16mm,*we*will*only*accept*prints*in*a*1.37*aspect*ratio*with*mono*optical*
sound.**If*you*choose*to*send*a*Sony*HDCAM*tape*(most*accepted*films*screen*in*this*format),*it*must*be*
formatted*to*1080i/59.94*or*1080p/23.98psf.**We*do*not*accept*HDCAM*tapes*in*any*other*format!**Our*
video*projection*is*full*frame*1.78*aspect*ratio*(16x9).**If*your*video*is*4x3,*1.85,*1.66,*or*2.35/2.39/Scope*
you*must*have*it*pillarboxed*or*letterboxed*during*the*lab*transfer*to*allow*it*to*be*screened*at*16x9*
without*any*image*distortion.**For*HDCAM*sound,*we*require*LTRT*or*stereo*mixed*tracks*on*channels*1*&*2.**
All*of*our*theaters*are*equipped*with*Dolby*Pro*Logic.**Please*note*that*these*specifications*are*subject*to*
change*each*year.*

This is all, honestly GIBBERISH to me. I'd probably be shooting on video rather than a film camera for my first short film, so that means I'll be using the Sony HDCAM format, correct? How in the world do I chose this format? Do I do it in post, or is this only avaliable for certain video cameras? Could camcorder convert into that format? What would I use to convert it, FC? Also, how would I achieve that sound format? What format is the best/most used? How would I go about getting all of these things?

I'm going to take each answer I recieve, and study it. I would appreciate very much any help you can give me, thank you!

Welcome to indietalk! You have a lot of studying to do and no one can answer your question in a paragraph. If you're serious, list what format the last 10 Sundance winners were submitted in.

So, now the ball is in your court.

I have de-crapped the text somewhat…

30) IF MY FILM IS ACCEPTED, WHAT PROJECTION FORMA TS DO YOU ACCEPT?
If your film is selected, you must provide either a film print in 16mm or 35mm format, or digital vi deo in
Sony HDCAM format. These are the ONLY formats we accept. For 35mm film prints, we screen 24fps wit h
an aspect ratio of 1.37, 1.66, 1.85, or 2.39/Scope. We accept sound formats of mono, stereo, D olby SR and
Dolby SRD (Dolby Digital). For 16mm, we will only accept prints in a 1.37 aspect ratio with mono op tical
sound. If you choose to send a Sony HDCAM tape (m ost accepted films screen in this format), it must be
formatted to 1080i/59.94 or 1080p/23.98psf. We do not accept HDCAM tapes in any oth er format! Our
video projection is full frame 1.78 aspect ratio ( 16x9). If your video is 4x3, 1.85, 1.66, or 2.35/2.39/Scope
you must have it pillarboxed or letterboxed during the lab transfer to allow it to be screened at 16 x9
without any image distortion. For HDCAM sound, we require LTRT or stereo mixed tracks on channels 1 & 2.
All of our theaters are equipped with Dolby Pro Lo gic. Please note that these specifications are su bject to
change each year.

Somebody, maybe Rik, commented a while back that nobody except Berlin still requires a 35mm print. Other top tier I think mostly want HDCAM or DIGIBETA (if you don't have a 35mm print). So if you're accepted you'll have to pay several hundred bucks (well worth it) to get you film transferred to one of those formats.

I'd probably be shooting on video rather than a film camera for my first short film, so that means I'll be using the Sony HDCAM format, correct? How in the world do I chose this format?
Your shooting format doesn’t matter - shoot an excellent film
on an iPod and it may be accepted into Sundance.
Do I do it in post, or is this only avaliable for certain video cameras? Could camcorder convert into that format? What would I use to convert it, FC?
You are a long way away from thinking about that. The short
answer: you will take your finished film to a post production
house and they will make a digibeta or HDCAM dub when your
movie is accepted into Sundance. You do not need to shoot on
either of those formats, edit on either format or do the conversion
yourself.

So the real question is:

When will your first movie be completely finished?

Back