Production Diary: Music Video

Just make sure the climb is safe. Don't take any risks. And given your fear of heights, I would tell someone and make sure you don't go there by yourself - take someone with you. I'm sure it'll be fine. :)

Great job with the octocopter - hope the chap can make it to your shoot.

So, that octocopter will mean you won't have to dangle yourself off the third floor of the tower? =)

Pfft. Seize the day, and strap onto the octocopter to dangle off that third floor!
smiley_colbert.gif

That's a sweet location! Seems like the pre-production is coming together nicely. Is there a narrative component or will it be mostly a band video? Hope the shoot goes swimmingly. :)

** BE CAREFUL ** If you're feeling iffy about leaning on something or climbing up something, DON'T.

Last edited:
Just make sure the climb is safe. Don't take any risks. And given your fear of heights, I would tell someone and make sure you don't go there by yourself - take someone with you. I'm sure it'll be fine. :)

Great job with the octocopter - hope the chap can make it to your shoot.

The band will be with me on the climb, as will my PAs. The stairs are actually really sturdy and stable, as is that entire building. My co-producer was basically running up them, and they didn't even shake. It's just my own stupid fear, which I've been trying to conquer for years. I'm looking at this as one more step on that journey. I just need to remember that I'm going to have to take a break for a few minutes once I'm on the 3rd floor to let the adrenaline levels drop back down so I'm not too overly shaky with the camera (and I'll bring my tripod just in case I am, since the shots we want could be done locked down, they just won't be quite as cool).

Pfft. Seize the day, and strap onto the octocopter to dangle off that third floor!
smiley_colbert.gif

That's plan B.

That's a sweet location! Seems like the pre-production is coming together nicely. Is there a narrative component or will it be mostly a band video? Hope the shoot goes swimmingly. :)

** BE CAREFUL ** If you're feeling iffy about leaning on something or climbing up something, DON'T.

There will be a large narrative component that the band footage will actually be a part of. It's a very cool idea that I think I want to keep a surprise until it's finished! :cool:

Of course my co-producer has decided that we need to get some footage on the third floor of the tower. The one my fear of heights prevented me from going up to.
Just make sure the climb is safe. Don't take any risks. And given your fear of heights, I would tell someone and make sure you don't go there by yourself - take someone with you.
How's your luck?
You're not going to stay on the first floor and catch some hantavirus from an old mouse turd, right?

You might be safer climbing up the rickety stairs. :lol:

GL with your shoot. :yes:

How's your luck?
You're not going to stay on the first floor and catch some hantavirus from an old mouse turd, right?

You might be safer climbing up the rickety stairs. :lol:

GL with your shoot. :yes:

I think there's more concern from all the asbestos in the old buildings... :hmm:

And thanks!

Ugggh...
Niiiice.
gas_mask.gif

Luckily we'll be filming largely outside and in one building where there doesn't appear to be asbestos. But the mess hall definitely had/has asbestos tile in it at one point and is quite dusty. Glad we'll only be there for the one day!

Very nice ..Well, They say anyone can make music these days.. To this day, I have no music education to speak of.

The guys in this band are all very experienced. One was in a band that could have gone to SXSW a few years ago. Another is in another band that's signed to a small record label. They've all been playing for years at various levels, and have been involved in the producing end of other musicians. The song itself is currently being remastered by a studio out in California so that the final version will be as professional as possible.

Anyone can make music, sure, but very few can make good music.

Just a quick little update. My co-producer built me an awesome jib to use for a few shots. We were discussing how much counterweight we were going to need. He was thinking around 3 pounds, I was thinking more like 5.

Turns out it's gonna take about 15. Obviously we're both in need of a physics refresher course... :lol:

First setback...

The guy I had coming to help out as a PA is going to have to bail. He has to move that weekend and his girlfriend is coming in from out of town.

My co-producer hopefully has one guy coming to help out, and I'm working on finding someone else, but since it's so last minute, I'm not sure if I'll be able to find someone else or not.

So I guess there's a possibility that I'll be PA-less for the shoot. Which means I will have a very exhausting day and may have to do all of my camera logging afterward, rather than during the shoot. It also means we'll probably only shoot at the server room, rather than there and the mess hall.

Tell that PA, "I'll make sure you never work in this town again!"...
smiley_fist.gif

...or not. :blush:

At least you still have a few days to find some extra help. :)

Tell that PA, "I'll make sure you never work in this town again!"...
smiley_fist.gif

...or not. :blush:

At least you still have a few days to find some extra help. :)

He's a good friend, and when he said he'd help out we didn't have a firm date yet, and I don't think he realized he was going to have to move this weekend. I think he felt really bad about it when I talked to him today. He did say if his girlfriend happens to not make it this weekend, he'll still come help, but I'm working on getting one more person anyway.

No luck with a replacement PA yet. So it may just be me and one other guy besides the band (if he doesn't bail). I've never met this guy, but he works with my co-producer, so I'm sure he'll be fine.

The upside is that the weather looks like it'll be perfect this weekend, which means I may change the schedule so that we only shoot in the old server room. That will help minimize lighting setups. I'm still feeling really confident about the whole thing. I'm sure we'll get it done, one way or another! :cool:

Great thread, thanks for sharing with us! :)

One of the things that got me into videography was wanting to shoot a vid for my band, so it's great to see your journey documented here.

Besk of luck with it, and I can't wait to see the finished product! :)

Great thread, thanks for sharing with us! :)

One of the things that got me into videography was wanting to shoot a vid for my band, so it's great to see your journey documented here.

Besk of luck with it, and I can't wait to see the finished product! :)

Thanks!

So my PA who thought he was going to have to bail is now possibly back in. And we've got another guy who's actually got some experience who might be there, too. We're all still psyched about the project, so hopefully regardless of whether I have help or not, we'll be in good shape!

Got my jib all balanced this morning. Need to take it outside and get some test footage, but here it is (excuse the mess in the background...):

I used a couple of hose clamps to keep the weights in place. Not the most elegant solution, but it works for now. I'd actually like to get my co-producer to put in some holes for bolts/pins to hold them in place in the future, but this will do.

That's almost identical to the jib I built this summer for the heck of it (and haven't used yet), so I'm glad you guys went to the trouble of figuring out how much weight I'd need. Thanks! ;)

Lovin' the updates, can't wait to see the results!

Back