Production assistants have to put in their time.

The LA Times has an article on how PA's have to work long hours for low pay - but at least they're getting paid.

Experience is critical, but, as we've discussed here so often, that's no excuse for others to take advantage of those down and out. I may have to intern in some manner, but I have substantial professional assets to use, so I would be in a pretty strong position. That said, I only have ONE goal in film, and that's to create my SF franchise, which means my internship requirements would be very different from others.

Yep, it's tough for PA's and interns.

Some get treated well, some terribly.

The same happens higher up the food chain. I know an editor that did 4 months (full time) work on a project - he was promised payment, never received a cent! Did he have a contract? No.

Whatever position in the food chain you are in, treat everyone with respect and fairly.

I know an editor that did 4 months (full time) work on a project - he was promised payment, never received a cent! Did he have a contract? No.

Which is why, whether you have a contract or not, you do not hand over any completed materials until you are paid.

Here's another article, which takes a broader view than what the OP asked for:
http://www.salon.com/2014/02/22/americas_next_wal_mart_the_indie_film_industry/

We have a lot of film people or crew in my area... We also have a large number that are "former" film crew, and quit to make better money year-round and put food on the table. Due to film incentives (and perhaps low-cost labor), we get a reasonable number of productions come through here, too.

I sometimes wonder if the bubble will burst one of these days, and film schools, etc. will start to run out of students. Perhaps because word may get back to the tuition-paying students that there are few paying jobs above minimum wage (here, $10/hr), unless you can get into the local union. And even in the union there is constant pressure on those folks to take *any* job to make a buck during a dry spell, and also from others willing to be paid less.

It's a tough biz, and wish I could be less cynical about this aspect of it... Loving filmmaking, though I do.

The Producers' Guild of America (PGA) seems to be a rather snooty organization, because it requres certain credits before someone can be a member. Anyway, it's holding the "Produced By" Conference, which involves accomplished professionals talking about their experiences and, of course, opportunities to network.

Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg talk of it took "years and years" to get their 2007 movie, "Superbad" made, so much so that Seth became too old for the part. But it got made. This has been a constant theme that comes across again and again, and it mirrors my experience.

The Producers' Guild of America (PGA) seems to be a rather snooty organization, because it requres certain credits before someone can be a member.
Is it really "snooty" for a Guild to require people to actually
have credits before they can be a member? Is it "snooty"
for the Writers Guild to require its members to have sold a
script? Is it "snooty" for the directors Guild to require its
members to have directed a movie?

What about law? Are their no requirements be a member
of the bar? Can anyone who wants to be a lawyer join or
are their requirements?

Should there be no requirements to join the PGA other than,
"I wanna be a producer!" If the allowed every person who says
that would they be less "snooty"? What about other Guilds?
Should the DGA allow everyone who wants to be a director to
be a member?

One more question; would you be interested in the PGA if it
allowed everyone to be a member? You are always talking about
making connections - something that is very important. Do you
want to connect with people who have never produced anything
ever but talk about it or do you want to connect with people
who have actual producing experience?

In the first place, the state bars are not local organizations; they are, in the US, part of the court system that regulates lawyers. In the second, the bar does not require a candidate to have any court cases, only to get the education and pass the exams.

The PGA is a voluntary association, not an arm of the government, and most other associations allow for associated membership, as in membership for lawyers and other professionals who want to network but have no experience in the business. The PGA should allow for that, and, as far as I know, it does not.

In a similar vein, the local bar associations, which are not government entities, allow anyone to join, so long as they pay the membership fee. This allows law students the chance to network and see what the profession is about.

So the local bar associations are very different than Guilds - I kind of thought
so, but it's good to have that clear. But you feel that what is good for business
associations should be the same for Guilds? They are not business associations
(as you point out), they are closer to unions in that they set standards for pay
and working conditions for their working members. As you know the PGA offers
many opportunities to network and learn to those who do not have experience.
They require a specific level of experience before allowing membership. Comparing
the two entities seems to be a stretch.

You didn't answer my questions about Guilds like SAG and DGA. They are not business
associations either. Should they allow anyone willing to pay the fees to be a member?

Perhaps because word may get back to the tuition-paying students that there are few paying jobs above minimum wage (here, $10/hr), unless you can get into the local union.
AS a student, I'm pretty sure most of are aware of this. Though I do my degree through a university (much more about theory than production), so perhaps film schools try to obscure this.

So the local bar associations are very different than Guilds - I kind of thought
so, but it's good to have that clear. But you feel that what is good for business
associations should be the same for Guilds? They are not business associations
(as you point out), they are closer to unions in that they set standards for pay
and working conditions for their working members. As you know the PGA offers
many opportunities to network and learn to those who do not have experience.
They require a specific level of experience before allowing membership. Comparing
the two entities seems to be a stretch.

You didn't answer my questions about Guilds like SAG and DGA. They are not business
associations either. Should they allow anyone willing to pay the fees to be a member?

State bars are NOT guilds, because, as a general rule, guilds are not government agencies charged with a specific function. The local bars are also not guilds, because most bars tend to be social clubs.

My issue about membership is that the PGA does not allow members, but I didn't know it has opportunities for those without experience - what are they?

AS a student, I'm pretty sure most of are aware of this. Though I do my degree through a university (much more about theory than production), so perhaps film schools try to obscure this.

Many university programs obscure the problems in getting jobs in their area. I'm not an engineer, but many with degrees in science and engineering don't go into science and engineering - they become real estate or insurance salesmen. And, I'm sure, the science and engineering departments try to obscure this too.

Many university programs obscure the problems in getting jobs in their area. I'm not an engineer, but many with degrees in science and engineering don't go into science and engineering - they become real estate or insurance salesmen. And, I'm sure, the science and engineering departments try to obscure this too.

And yet, college tuition continues to go up and up. The education system as a whole, needs to be rethought.

State bars are NOT guilds, because, as a general rule, guilds are not government agencies charged with a specific function. The local bars are also not guilds, because most bars tend to be social clubs.
Okay, I understand that. I said so in my post. Yet you still do not
answer my questions. It's frustrating.

My issue about membership is that the PGA does not allow members, but I didn't know it has opportunities for those without experience - what are they?
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=54110

To answer your question, Rik, if they were to offer "associate membership" or "visitor" status, where outsiders can go in and network, then that would be fine. My frustration is that they don't seem to have that. For example, the local bar associations have associate categories for non-lawyers, so those outsiders can come in and learn.

As for the "Produced By" series of conferences, I haven't heard anyone say if it's good or bad. Furthermore, that's just once a year, and, if possible, someone residing in LA would want to attend the monthly networking events.

To answer your question, Rik, if they were to offer "associate membership" or "visitor" status, where outsiders can go in and network, then that would be fine. My frustration is that they don't seem to have that. For example, the local bar associations have associate categories for non-lawyers, so those outsiders can come in and learn.
I guess what I don't understand is you know there is a difference
between a craft guild and a business association or social club.
Yet you want a guild to act as a business association or social club.
Here in Los Angeles there are entertainment social clubs and
various networking associations. Even the Producers Guild offers
conferences and opportunities to network; not once a month, but
they are offered. Same with the other craft guilds. But their overall
goal is not a social club – that are associations of people how have
demonstrated specific skills and they work to establish and protect
the work place.

But thank you for finally answering my question. I understand better
now. You want the guild to be something it isn't. It's challenging
corresponding with a lawyer. You're great at evading questions you
don't want to address.

Last edited: