PRODUCER

Producer

Is there anyone who knows how to go about finding a producer for an indie film? I'm directing a film and I am currently looking for A producer.

Directorik makes an important point. There are numerous flavors of Producers and all do different things on a production. So, asking for a 'Producer' is a bit like saying you are in need of a good 'medical professional'. You need to be more specific about what ails you. Then, we can help.

Thomas

You should give someone who might be a potential producer a LOT of information about your film. No one wants to take a risk they don't feel comfortable in taking.

Last edited:
Would anyone have an idea on how to search and find a producer for a film. I am currently looking for help with receiving a synchronizing license,actors/actresses casting call,locations,wardrobe,locations,camera crew,etc. Any help?!

Last edited:
Not usually the case, wheat. A "producer" isn't always the person
with the money, in fact most of the time the producer is a hired
hand. I think kal el was clear in his previous post and this one. He
is looking for someone do to the job of "producer" so he doesn't
have to take on those responsibilities.

I hate the job of "producer" so even on the movies I am financing
(or have found the financing for) I bring on a producer - not a PA.

whops, should have read the other post..

thanks for the clarity.. maybe I'm thinking low budget "executive producer" hiring a "producer" to do that work.. ???

EDIT:
This is why I still post in the newbies forum!

Whatever label you feel most comfortable with. I know there is often different
meanings of "producer" to different people. To some the producer is the person
with the money. But then someone still needs to do the work of a producer -
which in the no-budget arena is usually the writer/director/producer. I am talking
about the no-budget arena when I mention my own personal situation which
is why I didn't say I "hire" a producer. But I think that no matter what label you're
comfortable with it doesn't seem as if "kal el" is looking for a production assistant.
Even reading only this post I get the impression he is looking for a producer.

It does point out why it can be very difficult to find a producer. I hate producing
a project I am directing, but I enjoy producing projects for other directors. What
I do not do is find money for them so I often respond to "need a producer" threads
only to discover the director is looking for someone to find the money not do the job
of producer. So I guess "executive producer" would be more accurate.

Not that it is in any way correct, my take on producers was that "executive producers" either provided funding or were overseers for the studio. A real (line) producer is the alter ego of the 1st AD - the 1st AD is the directors liaison with the cast and crew, the line producer is the directors liaison with the "outside" world.

What Kal El is looking for is someone to handle the "practical" "nuts and bolts" aspects of the project so he can be the creative artistic director.

What Kal El is looking for is someone to handle the "practical" "nuts and bolts" aspects of the project so he can be the creative artistic director.
Interesting. I've never heard "artistic director" used in that way. I am
the Artistic Director of a local theater company and the standard jobs
associated with producing are not what I do. Everything I do with that
theater is creative and not nuts-and-bolts. Anyway, what ever term
one wants to use is okay by me. But it sure can cause confusion when
asking for someone to do a specific job on a movie on a messagebaord.

Interesting. I've never heard "artistic director" used in that way.

I meant artistic in its broader sense; I would have use capital letters if I was was referring to the actual title as you did.

I am the Artistic Director of a local theater company...

He wants to be creative, he wants to be an artist, he wants to do nothing else but direct without doing any of the grunt work. My suggestion, as always, is to get out there and actually do all of that grunt work for others, and then you will be better prepared to direct the activities of others - like a DP, PSM, Grip, Gaffer, PA, HMU, etc.

Back