Prime cine lenses

So just quickly has anyone got any experience/tested the samyang/rokinon cine primes? anyone got any comments on their quality? i'm thinking of buying one in a couple of weeks the few test shots I've seen online look really nice for the money, especially the 35mm although i'm thinking of maybe getting the 85mm as i already have a 50mm 1.8 and a couple of zooms.

anyway if anyone has had a go with one or read some reviews good or bad let me know! or of any alternatives!

cheers

They're good value for the money. Even used em on the RED EPIC and especially the 35mm is pretty dang good.

I have the still lenses, no difference in optical quality. They're just rehoused! Great glass for the price, beware of the build quality though, they're not superb.

I have a 600d/t3i and i rented a 35mm Samyang Cine prime, before I hired it i loved the image quality people had gotten out of it.

However the when I rented it, there was a problem with my t3i recognising the lens and when it did the exposure metering was completely off.... After much research I have still not found what the problem or solution was/

Thats just my personal experience... it has made me think twice a bit, I would love to know how other t3i users have got on with them....

I own both the 35mm and 85mm. On a Canon 5D mII body, I would rate the image quality as very good. I also own some Canon primes, and the footage from the Samyang primes matches up well. I don't think an average viewer would notice any difference.

The build quality is pretty good, but the bodies are plastic. It is a high-quality plastic, however, and the lenses feel solid and well-built.

Focusing tends to be a bit stiff, but that may loosen up with time. The camera needs to be locked down as tight as possible so it doesn't shift when using a follow-focus device.

Also these lenses are completely manual. That goes for both focusing and aperture control. They contain no electronics, so metering through the camera with these lenses is not possible.

I haven't used the 85mm very much, at least not yet. I just received it a couple of weeks ago, and the footage I've been shooting lately is mostly two-shots in tight quarters. The 35mm is much better for this work, and has quickly become one of my go-to lenses.

I have the 14, 24, 35 and 85. I love them optically, love the 14 for timelapse wides, 85 has amazing bokeh and sharpness, 24 is great and 35 nice too for all round lenses. They are optically better than say a Canon 24-70 (the 24 and 35 are) but the build quality is the only issue for me.

I have a 600d/t3i and i rented a 35mm Samyang Cine prime, before I hired it i loved the image quality people had gotten out of it.

However the when I rented it, there was a problem with my t3i recognising the lens and when it did the exposure metering was completely off.... After much research I have still not found what the problem or solution was/

Thats just my personal experience... it has made me think twice a bit, I would love to know how other t3i users have got on with them....

I'll vouch for them. Own a 85mm and a 14mm and use them more than any other lens.

As far as your "problem", it's not really a problem. They're full manual lenses, they don't talk to the body. That's why the body tells you to make sure there's a lens attached when you turn it on. You don't set or use and aperture settings on the camera body, rather use the ring on the lens. That's why they're so cheap. You're paying for great glass, not servos or microchips.

I will say I seldom use them for photo. It's nice to use an AF lens for that. But for video they're hard to beat!

Brilliant guys thankyou for all he feedback, I'm basically looking at these lenses for shorts I do in my spare time, sort of thing that goes on YouTube or to small festivals therefore I obviously want quality for my money but I'm not going out to buy some cp2's or whatever. If it ever comes to creating something for big screen then I would probably go the rental route

After reading the info you guys gave me I have looked at the samyang photo lenses, the same lenses just without de clicked f stops (as far as I can tell anyway) and they seem to be a fair bit cheaper, so I may look at getting the 85mm one as I need some more lens coverage in that focal length, and then maybe in a month or so look at the 24mm or the 35mm

Cheers guys

Back