Previous Crew Member Causing Issues

So, I'm going to go out on a limb and share this with you all. Hopefully, I'm not overstepping my boundaries... I've never been very good at... People things.

I've been dealing with a problematic person who used to be on our crew.

Full story:

This person (nameless here; so lets call them Bill) contacted me, interested in volunteering for my film as a PA. I'm always ready and eager to work with new people, so I said sure and asked if they would meet me at the set on such and such day.

Well, Bill read the date wrong, and shows up on the wrong day, texts/calls me several times to find out where everyone is. (I was at work, and we don't have cell access, so I could understand the frustration of trying to reach me).

I text them back hours later, explaining Bill is there on the wrong day, and that we were still good to meet later on the correct date. Eventually, Bill apologized for misreading my text, and agreed to arrive on the correct day.

Well, when the right day came around, Bill was a no show. Later on, I ask why they didn't show up to set? They angrily replied that they thought I was rude, and dropped my project in favor of their friends. I apologized for coming off as rude, explained why I didn't respond to the text, and tried to remedy the situation. Bill proceeded to tell me I wont get far in the industry, and I proceeded to tell them I thought it was strange they were scolding me for something they did wrong.

Later the next week, I start getting inappropriate texts from Bill. Saying things like he wants to pleasure me, and do me a "favor". Even more explicit than that. I tell them immediately that I'm not interested... And the texts still show up. So I save the texts (as legal backup) and block the number.

Now I am worrying, will Bill try to sabotage the film? He knows when a where the film is at. He is obviously emotionally compromised, or trying to compromise my image.

I thought about it all night, and decided to pre-warn the cast and crew about Bill. I tell them not to let this person on the set, and if they see him, call the cops right away. I even sent a picture, so they know what Bill looks like.

TLDR;
Did I do the right thing by warning the cast and crew? I feel like it is putting a damper on the first day of production, and I don't want people feeling uneasy about this... But I thought it was the right thing to do for the safety of the team.

Last edited:
If you really thought he'd turn up at a shoot, at most I'd attach a line or two to the next call sheet with a friendly warning about Bill.

Note to you: Stop letting him live rent free in your head. Let you actual image speak for itself. Don't worry about what others say/do. It'll drive you insane.

Failing to turn up without explanation = He's dead to me.

If you really thought he'd turn up at a shoot, at most I'd attach a line or two to the next call sheet with a friendly warning about Bill.

Note to you: Stop letting him live rent free in your head. Let you actual image speak for itself. Don't worry about what others say/do. It'll drive you insane.

Failing to turn up without explanation = He's dead to me.

I probably overreacted. Guess I made a mistake unfortunately. Hope I can just shrug it off and move on.

You need to move on and not make it worse. Act like it never happened. If anyone asks just say, that was taken care of and quickly move on.

Hopefully you learned a few things:

With no-shows just move on and replace no contact is necessary unless they are friends or people you have relationships with. You said he was a crew member but if it's someone you barely know and they flaked just move on.

Also you need to decide if your fear is real or paranoia. If it's real and you can reschedule without losing anybody, go for it. You could also hire a security guard for the set but don't have them dress as a security guard. This will just remind your cast and crew there is a threat. You hire a SG or bouncer to dress in real closes, give them a radio, and you call them a PA in charge of parking or whatever. This will ease your mind as well as provide security if needed.

You need to move on and not make it worse. Act like it never happened. If anyone asks just say, that was taken care of and quickly move on.

Hopefully you learned a few things:

I just want to make sure everyone is aware of potential safety issue, plus... This ensures they wont work with this person in the future or have potentially the same issue if they work with them later on.

I know now I probably OVER reacted, and it makes me feel negatively about my approach. But, in the end, I hope everyone I notified understands why I would make that call.

Either way, I have to live with the action. I wont make the same mistake in the future, but I know there are more mistakes to learn from coming my way.

Thank you for taking time to respond.

Look, if you overreacted guess what, maybe he did too! People have bad days. You even see it play out on here sometimes. That's no reason to put somebody on blast or try to blackball them from the industry imo.

Look, if you overreacted guess what, maybe he did too! People have bad days. You even see it play out on here sometimes. That's no reason to put somebody on blast or try to blackball them from the industry imo.

Yeah, you wouldn't say that if you were getting these texts. It was pretty much sexual harassment in all sense of the word. I'm a married man, and the last thing I want is my wife pulling up a text string and seeing this garbage.

Last edited:
PS. You're talking to someone who has had their share of attacks, threats, whatever. Vulgar, profane, etc. When it comes to running a site like this you get that.

Back