Please help, important project

i'm not creative- at ALL...and i've been assigned a project for a mandatory class
i thought there should be some minds in here who could help me out

GUIDLINES of what I must do-
-Write an original screenplay based on the following information-
-Film shorter than 10 mins, longer than 5 mins
-One character (in my case, an elderly man)
-Location must be - A dark basement OR a pleasant house OR a rural area (or all of the above)
-Film must be entertaining and draw an audience, but carry a good moral message - either subtle or obvious

please help with ideas..i'm so lost here.

thanks everyone :)

Why do you have to do this project? If it's not a film class sounds like an awful lot to ask. If it is a film class why are you taking it if you "are not creative?"

it is a film class, university/elective film studies course. day 1 and i get this lol, i'm in aerospace engineering. i have no problem writing and executing..but for the life of me i can't come up with a concrete base for things like this. i have taken film courses in the past, i know technical aspects of filmmaking - even used a couple 35's...my skills just simply do not lie in the creative aspects of fabricating a story lol

Last edited:
Film must be entertaining and draw an audience, but carry a good moral message - either subtle or obvious.

Here's your simple assignment: As an amateur non-screenwriter, WRITE THE PERFECT MOVIE!

Those guidelines are hilarious! But they are also beneficial. Short films are also deceivingly difficult to write. Every good film tells a story; short films are no exception. Before you can write your movie, you need to have a story. Make it easy on yourself and come up with a simple story. You've got a location and a character, so begin by asking yourself some simple questions:

1. Who is the old man?
2. Who are his closest relatives?
3. What is he doing in the basement?

Your movie has to begin with the old man in one moral or societal position and end with the old man in a different moral or societal position . Something happens (the major action of the film) to make him change from the first moral or societal position to the second. What happens can be figured out by answering the questions.

Example:
1. The old man is Jack Perkins, an elderly ex-boxer
2. His only surviving relative is his no-good nephew Vince
3. He is burying Vince underneath the basement steps because he learned Vince was trying to kill him for his life insurance policy

Figure out how to tell a story around these answers visually at first...don't use words. You can always add words later. Most short films are way too wordy...it's hard to condense a lot of backstory without using dialog, but try it because most of the backstory is inconsequential or can be filled in by the audience.

For instance:
The film opens with an image of the insurance documents strewn about the desk. Obviously there was a struggle because of the upturned furniture, overturned file cabinet, etc. We hear the shovel or pick-ax chipping away at the basement concrete and follow it down the basement steps where we see Vince's dead body. We see the old man struggling with the weight of his tools. Finally the police arrive, responding to the noise and arrest the old man. He is carried away as the credits roll. He started the film vindicated that he prevented his own murder and ended broken and busted. No dialog, just visuals. You can spice it up by having him try in vain to describe why he killed Vince as they haul him away, if you feel its necessary.

OR

Maybe the movie starts with the previous event: the old man discovers his insurance policy has been rifled with, Vince jumps him, and the old man pulls a pepperbox out of his sock and shoots him. Then you cut to the shovel scene as the credits roll. The old man starts as a benevolent, elderly uncle who included his no-good nephew as his sole beneficiary and ends as a murderer.

Figure out who the character is and what he is doing in the location. Come up with a story. Figure out where the character is when the story begins and where he is when the story ends. Figure out what sort of conflict causes this change. Do it simply, removing anything unnecessary to the duty of telling the story. And there's your movie.

Keep in mind, this is all probably as difficult as a lot of aerospace engineering, so good luck and have fun!

Thank you so much! You've been an incredible help! Breaking it down into steps like that has really helped in development, and I've discussed those steps with a couple others working on it.
..shows what I know about filmmaking.
definitely got the ball rolling for me, thanks so much!!!

Here is an idea for you.

The old man wakes up in the basement tied to a chair. He has a cut on his forehead from being hit with a blunt object.

A middle aged man walks down the stairs with a bottle of liquor and a hack saw. He has a look of disgust on his face. The man grabs a chair and sits in front of the old man.

The man with the saw asks him if he remembers a boy he hit with his car and killed him.
It is made clear that he is the boys father.

The old man pleads with him, stating he was drunk and should not have been driving and he would take it all back if he could.

The younger man opens the bottle of liquor. He takes several large drinks until it is almost empty. He lets the alcohol set in.

The man then proceeds to cut off the older mans leg. He passes out from the pain.

When the older man wakes up, the middle aged man tells him "I would take it all back if I could".

Sorry, I am a fan of horror films. You probably wouldn't be able to do this for a class project, but it does have a strong moral to the story.

Here is an idea for you.

The old man wakes up in the basement tied to a chair. He has a cut on his forehead from being hit with a blunt object.

A middle aged man walks down the stairs with a bottle of liquor and a hack saw. He has a look of disgust on his face. The man grabs a chair and sits in front of the old man.

The man with the saw asks him if he remembers a boy he hit with his car and killed him.
It is made clear that he is the boys father.

The old man pleads with him, stating he was drunk and should not have been driving and he would take it all back if he could.

The younger man opens the bottle of liquor. He takes several large drinks until it is almost empty. He lets the alcohol set in.

The man then proceeds to cut off the older mans leg. He passes out from the pain.

When the older man wakes up, the middle aged man tells him "I would take it all back if I could".

Sorry, I am a fan of horror films. You probably wouldn't be able to do this for a class project, but it does have a strong moral to the story.

haha i like horrors too. unfortunately i'm completely limited to a single character, as they've hired this one actor do be in all of our films - while each of us have a slightly different premise to work with

Is that only one character? Or, does the elderly man get to interact with others? Should be easy to do. If it's just the one guy, make him trapped in the basement, looking for a way out.....

:cool:

I think it would be nice if you could use your interest in aerospace engineering in the story :)
Like... he's one of the men in Houston during the first landing on the moon, so he drives from his country home through rural Texas to see the campus one more time before going into a retirement home due to old age?
I wonder if showing him as a young man would count as the same "single character"... If you're REALLY restricted to only casting that actor, maybe throw yourself into a short scene in the Control Room. Or just show an aged photograph of the team :)

Take it or leave it, but if you wanna draw some crowds (mostly protesters):

Old man in dark basement, completely naked, stares in the camera as he "self services" himself (the bits creatively covered in shadow, out of frame or with objects). Insert narration where he explains all the things he's done in his life (WW2, 'nam, wrote a book, published a paper, was a bronze medal in olympics) but how no matter what he did, the only enjoyment he ever got was when he beat his meat. Then he talks for a couple minutes about all the places (inside a hollow redwood tree, in the stall at KFC, lying in the sand of the Gobi desert, lying in a foxhole behind enemy lines) he pulled his pud. But there's just no substitute for his basement, because (and you end off with him speaking directly into the camera) "'cause this is where I buried my wife, and it gets me off to think she might be watching". Then 5-6 huge black-lights turn on revealing the full monty and we see the entire room is basically pasted in....... .... .... WTF am I saying here?!?!?!?!

Holy shit dude, I'm so sorry. I have no idea where all that came from, but I am NEVER going there again. Like, usually when I'm just screwing around there's a disturbing thought/concept or two, but that was just bizarre. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if somehow I get banned, LOL- but it's too funny to just delete, so it remains.

LOL, anyway good luck with your project. I say just focus on finding a really strong, experienced actor and work with them to come up with an idea. Single-performer pieces tend to be a little more intensive for the sole lead, so it'd probably improve things all around to get the actor in on the creative process from the beginning so they can set their own limits... because I'd imagine it'd be hard to find a good old actor who'd be willing to "get intimate with himself" outside of a hippie colony in Norway. :D

Back