• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Pitch/Teaser: The Kohlman Files

OK, here it is. Still password protected until we launch either tonight or tomorrow. Not 100% happy with the pitch portion (which is followed by the teaser so hang in there). It's pretty damn tough to do a long spiel like that in one take, but reasonably happy with how that portion turned out. We've been held up getting the music finished, so hope you think it's as badass and worth the wait as I do.

Password: kohlman

https://vimeo.com/37955864

Pitch: not bad. It gets a little rambly towards the end but it's a pitch video, that's pretty typical. I think you did a good job, you look more comfortable on camera than a lot of filmmakers on kickstarter, and the production value is good.

Teaser: I really enjoyed that. Absolutely loved the 70's music and the editing made it feel like the opening sequence to a professional tv show, something about the way he walks into frame and then text pops up. Nicely done. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product, for sure.
btw, who's doing the music? Is it another local band dealie?

Pitch: not bad. It gets a little rambly towards the end but it's a pitch video, that's pretty typical. I think you did a good job, you look more comfortable on camera than a lot of filmmakers on kickstarter, and the production value is good.

Teaser: I really enjoyed that. Absolutely loved the 70's music and the editing made it feel like the opening sequence to a professional tv show, something about the way he walks into frame and then text pops up. Nicely done. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product, for sure.
btw, who's doing the music? Is it another local band dealie?

Thanks for watching Dready.
The whole concept of the teaser is "mock" opening credits for the show. Then we'll add footage and recycle the music to spice the opening up even more after we're in production.

It's my usual music team. My everything sound guy John McGhee composed and arranged the music then we recorded it using a mix of live musicians and MIDI.

The teaser cost me $500. $100 to the actor, $100 to the DP, $100 to rent some grip gear, and the rest food and misc stuff.

Sounds like a fun project, Nathan. Hope it comes together for you.

You have a great voice, BTW. Could do VO work, I think.

And the car is sweet (he said, dating himself)! :D

The 70's is an interesting choice, for Lovecraftian delights. :cool:

It's even stranger than that. The lead is kind of "out of time". He types on a typewriter, uses a film camera, has an ancient cell phone. These provide a running joke through the series as people give him a hard time about it.

Sounds like a fun project, Nathan. Hope it comes together for you.

You have a great voice, BTW. Could do VO work, I think.

And the car is sweet (he said, dating himself)! :D

I considered VO, but have just never done it. Do a bit of MC type work. I JUST so happened to have a friend with that sweet 68 SS Convertible.

Re-working that treatment for the agent right now. They gave me copious notes, but are still interested.

will there be a lot of v/o and first person stuff?

Not as much as Kolchak. My characters do tend to talk to themselves (probably because I do) so a bit of that. It's "character driven" for sure.

The lead is patterned after Kolchak (and it's certainly an archetype) in the sense that he's a bit bumbling, but it always seems to work out. Not fearless, just sometimes too focused or just plain dumb to realize how much danger he is in.

It will also have nudity, sometimes copious gore, and a bit of the (oh god forgive me for saying this) "Lost" kind of "what is reality and what isn't" aspect to it.

I like the concept, the location and the music. However, I feel like there should be some "horror" in the trailer. A little too much of the main character typing and searching with a flashlight. I want to be scared in the trailer a bit. Not sure how, but I'm sure you can come up with something.
best of luck.

I like the concept, the location and the music. However, I feel like there should be some "horror" in the trailer. A little too much of the main character typing and searching with a flashlight. I want to be scared in the trailer a bit. Not sure how, but I'm sure you can come up with something.
best of luck.

Really a reflection of budget. We shot the teaser in 1 day for $500. Valid criticism though.

Back