Paying film school grads

I'm about to shoot a documentary. When hiring fresh out of film school grads, how much should you pay for an aspiring cinematographer?

Have you asked whether they are willing to collaborate?

I'm in no way saying you shouldn't pay them, but many are willing to collaborate with the full understanding that it's Low budget, and a chance to broaden their portfolio that is most often welcomed.

However, if you are in the position to offer pay, i wouldn't discourage doing so.

I'm about to shoot a documentary. When hiring fresh out of film school grads, how much should you pay for an aspiring cinematographer?

A new graduate from film school has a LOT of expenses. You
should pay them at the very least 60% of the going rate in
your area. Here in L.A. a DP with their own equipment can
get between $400 and $600 per day. In Seattle that rate
might be closer to $300 to $500. So you should pay $120
to $200 per day.

Pay? Pay? They should work on your doc for free because it will be the greatest film ever made! They should pay all of their own expenses and supply the camera and other equipment as well! And they should be extremely grateful if you remember to put their name in the credits and send them a DVD two years later! And they should be willing to work for you for free in the future! What freakin' nerve expecting to get paid!

I was surprised but I got offered some work in London on a production where I was offered 100 quid per day. I know that's not that much, but I'm not a film school grad and the position was just as a runner.

The producer who offered me this says that's the very least that people in his position are willing to offer people like me, simply because working in the capital costs so much. So I'd take that into consideration when you are getting a cinematographer. Even if the contract is unpaid you will still be expected to pay expenses and whilst I don't know Seattle very well, if the situation in London is anything to go by there are plenty of expenses that get incurred.

Back