• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Panasonic GH2 vs Canon 550d

Hey everyone ,

i'm a cinema student, and i'm not sure which camera i should buy to do my shorts, a canon 550d or a panasonic lumix gh2 , i was hoping u could give me some advice

cumps

Thanks to this marketing campaign, I now no longer trust anything I hear about the GH2, unless it is coming directly from someone I know and trust, who has personally used it.

It is an insult to our intelligence, and a waste of our time, to come on here and ask a question, as if you genuinely are searching for an answer, when you really just want us to talk about the camera that you are marketing. By trying to pull the wool over our eyes, you have completely lost my trust, and it will be difficult for Panasonic to earn it back.

Suck on that, Panasonic!

T2i for the win!

Thanks to this marketing campaign, I now no longer trust anything I hear about the GH2, unless it is coming directly from someone I know and trust, who has personally used it.

It is an insult to our intelligence, and a waste of our time, to come on here and ask a question, as if you genuinely are searching for an answer, when you really just want us to talk about the camera that you are marketing. By trying to pull the wool over our eyes, you have completely lost my trust, and it will be difficult for Panasonic to earn it back.

Suck on that, Panasonic!

T2i for the win!

Woho, another reason I love CF.. paranoid about market plants just like me!

im sorry i posted twice. The thing is that i posted on the wrong place first and then i posted here , sorry!

Welcome back. Have you checked out the various threads on both cameras here?

I will say that I'm in the middle of fighting with some AVCHD footage on my current gig. Giving me second thoughts about the Panasonic route.

One the one hand h.264 is terrible excuse for an acquisition codec, but it flows decently (afaik) in most post workflows.

AVCHD, on the other hand, has been giving me nothing but headaches. Post on this show is using Avid, and I'm trying to get them DNxHD MOVs of the AVCHD footage. No go, for various logistical reasons that I probably shouldn't blame on the codec, but it is frustrating. Of course the GH2 implimentation of AVCHD looks amazing and doesn't mangle the image as much as h.264. My opinion on that last part. Merits and flaws of the Canon's codec and image processing choices has also been heavily debated here.

One factor you might want to consider is what, if any, existing lenses do you have that you want to try to leverage?

My first thought was to buy the canon 550D , a friend of mine had just bought it and we were amazed by the hd quality . Then i start looking and nikon 7000 came across my path , but between 550D and D7000 , it was cleary 550D . It was then that GH2 showed up in my options, i was completly thrilled with the new AVCHD implementation , and my concern was now the lenses. 550D has a wide variety , and GH2 doesn't . Although i was told that with an adaptor it was possible to put any lens i wanted

The native m4/3 lens selection isn't particularly fast, and thus not well suited to video. There's a 25mm Voightlander f0.95 that's an exception, but that lens is likely > $1200. Haven't seen a price on it.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/lense.html

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/manual.html#i_025mm_f095_cosina

The advantage to m4/3 is that with a very short FFD there are a wide array of lens adapter devices. M mount is looking very attractive as there are a lot of lenses out there and they tend to fast and optically very nice. They will also take C mount (16mm) lenses, although not all lenses will cover the sensor. You were told mostly correct. You can attach virtually any lens onto a GH2.

Edit: Looking at the lens offerings again, I forgot that the pancake primes are fairly fast. 1.7-2.5 is pretty good, but I can't imagine pulling focus with them in any way with which I am familiar enough to be good at it. Heh.

AVCHD has its disadvantages, h.264 is easier to handle in a post workflow for example.

550D is more common, and coincidentally if you ordered one it would actually ship right away. Can't say that for the GH2. I have yet to find any info on availability at various places. Of course haven't been trying that hard either.

L series canon lenses are definitely nice, but outside of that you'll have a more limited selection of 'adapter based' lens options.

Last edited:
Finally had the sit down and hash it out, back and forth with the fiance today, and my choice is made. Going to go ahead and get a 5Dmk2. She really wants the larger size, and the better controls, We both really want full frame. Already sold a Hasselblad 500C body we had, a Nikon D40X body, and a couple lenses building up the cash. Probaby about two weeks we'll be ready to go. Already have a Canon EF mount 28mm 1:2.8 prime, an 18-80 1:3.5-5.6, and a 75 to 300 1:4-5.6, so a good bit to build on.

i really am going to start playing on the lotary , since i started the course , my bank account was never the same , in the university they have DVCAM's but the quality is miserable , and most of them have something broken or whatever , please check this link and tell me what u think about one of my first works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoVqI8Zs3_s

the sound is miserable i know, i had some encoding problems and it's kinda noisy and the voices get lost.

Back