Overwhelmed

Yet another aspiring filmmaker here.
I guess my question is: Is it insane to try to learn how to do almost everything yourself?
Living in West Virginia there’s very few people ( well... none that I know of ) to really get help from. It’s extremely overwhelming just trying to learn writing and directing at the same time not mention lighting/cinematography, sound, editing/post related work etc. and still that’s not even touching on the stress of buying and learning how to use everything I need AND knowing the odds of being successful are stacked against me.)
It would be nice one day to be able to find other people that know their stuff. But as for now it seems like I have to learn it all and teach people that would be willing to help as best as I can.
I hope it’s not an impossible task because I HAVE to do this. It’s all I want and all I ever wanted. And I’ll never give up. I just don’t want to wake up as an old man one day and realize that I’ve still only become good enough to make amateur crap. I’m 21 now and I just hope to have a feature made that I can be proud of (and maybe not be in debt because of it) by the time I’m 25.
Thanks for taking the time to read.

You know, I feel your pain. I commend you for knowing what you want at such a young age. I would have loved to started back then.
I was doing a little bit of a lot of things; business developer, entrepreneur, web master, marketing, graphic designer, music, 3D animation, editor and a few others.
I decided to focus on editing. BUT in order for me to edit, I had to write my own scripts and shoot my own stuff, which was fine. I was honing my skills.

Now I'm doing a project that is using all of my skills. I'm co-writer, director, producer, animator, editor, VFX, sound mixing, web design/master, marketing, promotions and who knows what else.

When we started the project I wasn't supposed to be doing all of that but it has moved to that. If I hadn't done all of that stuff before, I wouldn't be able to do it now.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... Learn, learn all you can. Do all you can. Be all you can be.
You will figure out what you're good at then focus on that one thing or a few things. I am still focused on post production but this project wouldn't be ready to launch a teaser and website if it weren't for me doing all I can do.

DTS said:
I hope it’s not an impossible task because I HAVE to do this. It’s all I want and all I ever wanted. And I’ll never give up. I just don’t want to wake up as an old man one day and realize that I’ve still only become good enough to make amateur crap. I’m 21 now and I just hope to have a feature made that I can be proud of (and maybe not be in debt because of it) by the time I’m 25.
Thanks for taking the time to read.

...a person after my own heart. Truer words have never been spoken, and though I am starting MUCH later than you, the sentiment and the feeling is the same. Besides, you have to start somewhere. I am finding that I am kind of in the same boat you are in some respects. The important thing is to start...

..when I got the idea for the project I am working on, not long after I found this little saying on a fridge magnet, and even though it IS a fridge magnet, the statement is one I hold on to...

"...Whatever you can do or dream you can, BEGIN IT. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it..."
--Goethe

...find your inspiration where you can, whenever you can, it will help you keep going because you already KNOW that you have to do this, much like many of us on this site :)

...let the journey begin... and good luck, you will need it....

--spinner :cool:

I'm 21, and like you, in the same boat. It can be so overwhelming at times. Especially starting out. I think the most important thing in the early stages is to fool around and make it fun. You have to like it, or you won't be inspired to continue.
Read and learn on the side, but start a project ASAP... make it cheap (like, just a camera for equipment) and short. Be creative with what you have, and start learning "tricks". Eventually, things will come naturally, and you'll learn the techincal names later. Keep researching, keep studying, keep doing, and given time, you'll figure out where you belong. Another bit of advice- don't pile all the work on yourself. Find at least one other person who can do something you can't.

Good luck, welcome to the boards, and... er... good... evening.

Why hello there, good DTS! :cool:

Is it insane to try to learn how to do almost everything yourself?

No... and yes. :)

It can be a good thing to try it all at the start... you get a good feel for all the various roles/hats, even though stressed frequently. It also gives you the opportunity to decide what roles you are good at... and what roles you are not so good at. (Or even just plain detest).

Knowing your strengths and your weaknesses will allow you to start delegating out the tasks that other people should be handling... and when you know what those tasks are, you can start looking for people to fill those spots.

It's no longer so sane when, having been at it a bit, you still insist on covering all aspects by yourself. :lol:

I just don’t want to wake up as an old man one day and realize that I’ve still only become good enough to make amateur crap.

Hey! That's me! :(

;)

I'm from WV (Bridgeport/Salem), and I know exactly what you mean. A good book for you to get is called The Filmmaker's Handbook. It's pretty damn comprehensive for the price.

For WV, I know there's no formal training in film to be had. So you're on your own unless you can find friends as obsessive as you are.

Hey, thanks all you guys for the advice/inspiration.

I’ve been at this for a little while now ( studying, shooting little things here and there) and I realized it was about time to get a little more serious with it. Before I started buying everything I plan on getting I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a bad idea to jump in full speed ahead with the technical as well.

As for having no one else for help, maybe some one will pop up. At least until I can gather enough extra cash to move to another state. I’ll just stay focused, keep learning, and do what I can until then.

Now to find the secret to coming up with great ideas...hmmm... :D

I'd bet good money that there are more people in your region, who have a similar interest, than you are aware of.

Networking is a huge part of filmmaking, no matter the scale of the production.

:cool:

DTS said:
I just don’t want to wake up as an old man one day and realize that I’ve still only become good enough to make amateur crap.

1. It would be a good thing to wake up as an old man
2. Life is a journey not a destination
3. Sucess is a state of mind.
4. Have fun with your life and what you do.

DTS--

Speaking from my own personal experience...

It is possible to make a movie completely on your own. You just need a story that uses the resources you have, and does not require anything you don't have. It sounds painfully simple...but I have seen it happen before. Someone wants to make their first movie, and the idea they come up with involves speedboat chases with exploding helicpoters. Well, that will stop you in your tracks real quick! (Unless, of course, you are Spatula...)

But Spatula's advice is solid. Get a camera and start taping. Get a video editing program for your PC and start editing. See what you get from it. Go out and try different angles and lighting. If you have the EYE for visual storytelling, your style and substance will soon overcome any technical limitations you may have.

And of course, be sure to share your learning projects with the IndieTalk group. They are great for offering constructive criticism!

John

John@Bophe said:
the idea they come up with involves speedboat chases with exploding helicpoters... or an attack! Well, that will stop you in your tracks real quick! (Unless, of course, you are Spatula...)

Just to clarify- they're JETS, not helicopters. Jee Whiz. :D

Sometimes it's ok to think big.

I feel the same way. Ever since i first saw The Lost Boys when i was 10 i knew i wanted to make movies. Now 3 years later, i'm starting to get serious with my work. I'm not old enough to get a job and my parents are too broke to give me an allowance, but i still get buy using old equipment friends and family give me and friend actors. I write and practice as much as i can, and some friends and i are going to make feature in a couple of weeks (Into the Woods, a mix between Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Blair Witch Project)

Back